• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Some console trim panel pictures - paint and refinishing

ok, im finally done with the trim piece and have it installed. now i need to deal with the piece above it with the vents and clock. i dont see any obvious way to remove the vents to paint the trim on that upper piece. do they just pop out and snap back in?

You need to remove the felt tape that goes around the unit - you'll see at the back, on the side opposite to the clips, there are some small screws (they're probably hidden by the tape) - after you remove the screws, you need to carefully pop the clips on the opposite side. Be really careful, they are quite fragile. (Not then end of the world if you break one however)

FYI, I got a dud can of the paint last time so I had to buy another can yesterday. It is no longer called Honda Graphite Gray. It's just Graphite Gray now under the same paint code and it's the same exact color as before.

Robr, when you paint that vent trim, you will want to put something at the bottom lip of it to keep it from gouging into the console trim. What I did with mine is I took about a 3 inch piece of velcro (the soft side) and I cut it into small strips about 1/8th inch. Then I just stuck it to the bottom lip and it works great.

There are two metal clips that I have terrible luck with on the vent. They break off because they really aren't attached that securely. It's not the end of the world if those break off either. You can superglue them back or I'm leaving mine off right now to see if it even makes a difference.

I took on this DIY yesterday and I'm feeling some pain. Here's my story and where I need your help.

My console was cut by the PO for a double din, painted silver and then sprayed with a clearcoat. The ashtray door was OEM graphite gray. My goal is to get rid of any bubbling or chips and repaint the console, vents, and ashtray door matte black.

At first it looked like things were going great -I sanded down the areas that were bubbling or cracked and then sanded the other areas to make sure the primer would stick. I primed the console and other pieces with plastic primer (white). Is plastic primer the right type to use? The primer seemed to sit well and after it dried I was ready to put on the matte black paint. I sprayed all the pieces down and the only one that turned out normal looking was the ashtray door. The other two pieces (that were previously painted silver and clear coated) started spider webbing and cracking immediately. It looked horrible.

I figured this must be an issue with an interaction with the previous paints so I decided to use some JASCO graffiti remover to take off all the paint and start from scratch. I was hoping for an end product like Malibu's pictures above. Some parts of the console look shiny metallic like Malibu's and some are green and softer. Is this bondo? or did I scrape to far past the shiny coat?

I'm letting the pieces dry and will take another crack tonight at sanding off the excess paint and getting the surface smooth. After that I'll try to spray down the pieces with primer again. I just don't want to have to keep removing paint. Any help is most welcome. In the bay area if you can help in person :)

Thanks,
Asif

Picture!

Sounds like you know all of the answers already. Lacquers are solvent based paints, so what was on there previously probably didn't take to the solvent in your spray paint. You can try enamel if you're really worried that you didn't get all of the original paint off. Rustoleum (fuzion I think it's called?) has some really good plastic parts primer.

As you said, the green stuff is probably bondo or some sort of body filler. It shouldn't be soft to the touch unless it was mixed wrong, but I'm guessing you mean soft as in it sands faster than the plastic itself. If it is in fact soft, you'll want to remove all of it

I just had Science of Speed refinish mine, and I'll post some photos as soon as I get my pieces back.

Has anyone tried toyota magnetic gray? I think its closer in shade than honda graphite grey, but the metallic flake might be a hair larger. Graphite grey seems too light of a shade

- - - Updated - - -

VHT high temp engine metallic black pearl SP405 is almost spot on for shade, but again, those darn large metallic flakes

I just refinished my shift knob in the Duplicolor Graphite Grey and it is a near perfect match to my trim.

Back