• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Someone tell me I'm crazy, Supercharge 136K Mile Car??

I have a red 1991 with 136K on the clock. Had a twin turbo (corky bell kit) years ago and am yearning for more power. Thinking of looking for a used Comptech Supercharger to put on. Am I crazy?? If not anyone know of a used Comptech SC for sale?

Would a BBSC kit pass smog in california? Had trouble this year and had to do 02 sensors, probably need new cats as well.

Thinking of looking for a used Comptech Supercharger to put on. Am I crazy??

If you can easily not miss $5K-$10K from your bank account: then go ahead.

As long as you are not burning oil or using coolant: do it!

Drew

Don't think i'm using coolant but I do have a very small oil leak 1 drop every 3 days or so? In the right rear end of engine compartment. Assuming it's probably the vtech bearing?

With the BBSC you can put the original belt back on and bypass the blower, put in your OEM injectors and you are good to go for emmisions. You could actually probably set it up in the AEM to pass as is. Maybe someone who knows the AEM could chime in.

I have been considering adding one to my 106,000 mile NSX.....all a matter of deciding how far I want to go with this thing.

NorCal91NSX said:
I have a red 1991 with 136K on the clock. Had a twin turbo (corky bell kit) years ago and am yearning for more power. Thinking of looking for a used Comptech Supercharger to put on. Am I crazy?? If not anyone know of a used Comptech SC for sale?

You are perfectly sane in our book:biggrin: Nothing like boost on the NSX! We may have a lead for you on a used CTSC in socal, he is taking it off to go FX500.

NorCal91NSX said:

You are perfectly sane in our book:biggrin: Nothing like boost on the NSX! We may have a lead for you on a used CTSC in socal, he is taking it off to go FX500.

The CTSC is "CARB" legal....However I personally have not seen one for sale used,..I just installed one on a 115k car and was not concerned with the wear as honda motors with proper maintenance will last a good long time.

I would make sure check compression and leak down also clean the combustion chambers and intake with "Top Engine cleaner" (Aval from Honda or GM dealers) or an atomized intake/combustion chamber cleaner like "BG Intake system cleaner"..this will remove carbon build up from the rings and valves also clean the intake runners to get you the best platform to tune your fuel injection with...CTSC does not offer much "tuning" out of the box as they "piggyback" the stock PGM-FI however you can adjust the fuel pressure with the Comptech supplied Furl pressure regulator...the fuel system should be closely scrutinized on a car with that mileage as you must have proper fuel supply to prevent lean conditions.. which will make you have a real bad day.....JZ

NorCal91NSX said:
Would a BBSC kit pass smog in california? Had trouble this year and had to do 02 sensors, probably need new cats as well.

NetViper said:
With the BBSC you can put the original belt back on and bypass the blower, put in your OEM injectors and you are good to go for emmisions. You could actually probably set it up in the AEM to pass as is. Maybe someone who knows the AEM could chime in.

CTSC is the only CARB legal option for FI.

BBSC is not a legal option, neither is use of an AEM, regardless of whether controlling an FI system (of any description, even CTSC) or not, and even regardless of whether the system actually passes the emissions specificiations.

Would a Smog Tech necessarily recognize these as non-standard features? Maybe / maybe not - but they are not legal & you would run the risk of being caught as such.

I'm not advocating a 'holier than thou' approach, just trying to make you aware of the legal requirements

Meeyatch1 said:
I have been considering adding one to my 106,000 mile NSX.....all a matter of deciding how far I want to go with this thing.

Do I have to put you over my knee and spank you? :biggrin:

D'Ecosse said:
CTSC is the only CARB legal option for FI.

BBSC is not a legal option, neither is use of an AEM, regardless of whether controlling an FI system (of any description, even CTSC) or not, and even regardless of whether the system actually passes the emissions specificiations.

But if the charger is bypassed as Dave has said, and the stock injectors are put back in AND the AEM is unhooked, why wouldnt the car pass smog (both sniffer and plug in).

But that is a bit of prep work.

But if the charger is bypassed ... why wouldn't the car pass smog (both sniffer and plug in).

It would not pass the Visual Inspection. ALL of the equipment would have to be removed completely or find a "blind" shop. The test is part functional and part regulatory.

The CTSC is the best and most pain free for a system than requires emissions testing.

I would make sure check compression and leak down

Why please?

I did a lot of testing on my high-mileage (~100K miles) NSX and discovered:
1. The stock pump was worn out and needed to be replaced. You will likely see a HP increase simply by installing a new fuel pump!

2. The injectors could use a cleaning, but were OK. I cleaned them anyways.

3. The compression and leak down did not matter one bit. In fact, regretablly I spent a lot of time on it. I had two cylinders that were marginal and put a lot of effort into determining the exact issue (valves, gaskets, pistons, block, etc...)

And this was the decision tree that I developed: If engine was bad, I might as well install the CTSC and wait for the engine to blow up...which may or may not happen for years. If the compression/leak down was good, you go ahead and install the CTSC and wait for the engine to blow up, which might not happen for years.

In either event, the same action is taken, so the information is meaningless.

4. I got my NSX smogged last week, it was selected for a Test Only station. They were all over my CTSC and, fortunately, I bought down all my support documentation. They were very suspicious of the whole thing and grudginly let me by on the visual.

5. The only question was: can you really afford it?
OR
better asked: If you spent the $10K would you *ever* miss it or *might* need it back?
AND/OR
If you blow up your engine and have to drop another $10K on repairs would that affect you in any meaningful way?

If the answer is anything but a resounding "NO", then go ahead and get your CTSC. Otherwise, save and invest your hard earned money and visit this issue later, it will only get cheaper and easier as the prices drop and more used units come on the market.

Drew

I say do it. ~7 psi isn't a whole lot of boost, especialy for the NSX's internals. HAve fun and good luck:wink:

drew said:
It would not pass the Visual Inspection. ALL of the equipment would have to be removed completely or find a "blind" shop. The test is part functional and part regulatory.

Obviously I don't know what is involved in the visual inspection, but they would never see that the ECU is hoooked up and the AEM is bypassed. It would actually be a direct swap. As for the SC, would any of them know if it was a comptech or bbsc?

As already mentioned, this woudl be a little bit of prep time though. How often are you inspected there?

There are a few BBSC's in Cali. How do you all do it?

NorCal91NSX said:

Well, factor x,drew and dave all made good points. drew that the motor would be ok if it was not exibiting signs of serious wear and dave that you could pretty much swap out the belts and go back and forth which I see no issue with and get good gas milage.factor x knows the motor and gives a thumbs up. my take is go with it also.
I am boosting a 4 cylinder 240sx With a jdm sr20det motor (nissan) to 375
rwhp on stock internals while I wait for my skyline r32 rb26dett GT-R motor to arrive which WILL reach my target goal of 600rwhp on STOCK internals BUT both of these have only 30 thou on em AND THE CURB Weight on the car is 1850! as long as you stay in the loop on the tuning end and go thru the paces so to speak on validating the motor is good then have some fun,after all isnt that the 'real goal" just make sure you leakdown test it first.good luck and have fun!! LIFE IS WAY SHORT! btw if I blow the sr20det motor I can build it while the skyline motor is in place,I will have three different motors for one car with a 6 speed on the sr20 motor and as the s15 short gears come standard WOW....yeah its a sickness that has no cure but motors with bad ass trannys for 2k a pop including wire harness and ecu well you would get sick too! like I said keep us in the loop as I wish to here what everyone is doing to their X motors,I saw the Factor car drag clip and it blew me away.thanks factor X for turning me into a monster

NetViper said:
Obviously I don't know what is involved in the visual inspection, but they would never see that the ECU is hoooked up and the AEM is bypassed. It would actually be a direct swap. As for the SC, would any of them know if it was a comptech or bbsc?

As already mentioned, this woudl be a little bit of prep time though. How often are you inspected there?

A shop that's performing a smog check the way they're supposed to will require an EO sticker for each modification that's performed "from the air filter to the cat(s)". Any mod between those without an associated EO sticker will fail the visual inspection and won't even be tested for the sniffer. I've had first hand experience with this. I had an eclipse and was running a K&N air filter kit that had an EO sticker but for a 3000GT (they use the same MAF meter so it's a perfect fit). The mechanic said he wouldn't test the car because he looked up the EO number and found it to be for a different car.

The way to get around it is to go to a shop that is laxed in visuals or to have friends in low places :wink:

Still, after the visual, there's the actual test and that includes reading any OBD1/2 errors, and doesn't the AEM make those unreadable?

The way around this is the same as the second workaround for the visual:tongue:

J

NetViper said:
As for the SC, would any of them know if it was a comptech or bbsc?

The Comptech comes with a sticker and a CARB legal ID#..the BBSC does not..that's how....it doesn't matter if you have a Hover attached to your intake manifold it has to have a CARB compliant ID#

BBSC in Cali???...They must be removing them before the inspection or finding a shop that is willing to look past it...

zahntech said:
The Comptech comes with a sticker and a CARB legal ID#..the BBSC does not..that's how....it doesn't matter if you have a Hover attached to your intake manifold it has to have a CARB compliant ID#

Gotcha. I didn't know that.

Washington and Oregon are slowly adopting Cali Emissions Regs:frown: :frown: :frown: ..they even tried to slip in some wording that says the emissions systems must have 10 year warranties and that the car must be returned to the dealer for emission repairs...:eek: :eek: ...that part didn't make it..

Back