• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sorry guys - new NSX replacement is dead

As an enthusiast, I'm crushed. While I didn't like the front-engined layout or the styling as it was turning out, I would love to see what Honda can do with a great big V10 and a $150k pricetag. But as an investor, I'm glad. These types of hard sacrifices are exactly what the Big 2.5 didn't make, and now look where they are. Sad day indeed though. Wonder what will happen to the test mule(s).

Well said. I read this news (about the NSX replacement being cancelled) this morning on jalopnik.com, and it was right above the article about the production release and pricing for the new Pontiac G8 GTP, a $40k rear-drive, V8 sedan complete with $1700 gas guzzler tax. With everything going on (down) for GM, could there be a more vivid example of how they just seem to have no sense of the marketplace?

I think Honda knows that even in a good economy, the NSX-2 would be a low-volume niche product for them. But in a bad economy, it just wouldn't fly. I also think that Honda is very aware and protective of its public image - now is not the time to launch a vehicle that can only be called frivolous.

I think Fukui has f'ed-up on the NSX (should have had a replacement out a decade ago) but overall has done well for Honda.

I am actually glad that the thing got axed. Perhaps Honda can save their resources for something better in the future. The current economy probably will kill that car anyway if it was launched. I for one don't like that "NSX" replacement at all. I am just gonna wait for a used R8.
Steve

It's because even 99% of people wouldn't own that super GT.. still cool to have some BRAGGING to do about your top of the line car (or even to trash it the FR or the bad design, as long it spanks most supercars), about your Car manufacturer achievements and credentials .. it's about knowing that you are not stuck on 89 ....
Oscar

I see your point, but personally, I'd rather drive my car than brag about it. And I don't care that it was designed in the 80's. If had several $MIL to spend on cars, I'd happily spend it on cars built in the 30's. :biggrin:

But the HSC did get the axe!?! lol

:)

Let the rumors begin. :tongue::biggrin: HSC getting a long second look for possible production. Smaller. Lighter. Cheaper. More economical with a v6 over the v10

LOL sorry for the tease. Just happy to have the NSX. I am too old to brag. :wink:

Honda = 6x F1 World Constructors Champions

(On a side note Ford of all people have 10 WCC's! Look where it got them today...oh wait...nm :wink::tongue::biggrin:)

Last edited:
I kind of wanted a "real" NSX anyway.

But hey, who called it first?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115362

Hate to tell you this but you are far from being the first. LoL, especially when your thread is 6 days old. I'm not about to go digging through the threads but the idea of it never making it to production has been here for a long time now, years. Good try though:) I'd keep that magic 8ball though. Maybe we can use it to win the lottery next lol, just remember 6 days earlier ;)

Last edited:
Hate to tell you this but you are far from being the first. LoL, especially when your thread is 6 days old. I'm not about to go digging through the threads but the idea of it never making it to production has been here for a long time now, years. Good try though:) I'd keep that magic 8ball though. Maybe we can use it to win the lottery next lol, just remember 6 days earlier ;)

People have discussed it, but I don't remember anyone making a statement like that and standing next to it like this is what they truly believed.

I made the thread specifically for that statement. I wanted to let it be known that I had this preminition about it and I didn't think that it would make it to production.

I am sure that it may have been assumed, but I don't remember anyone else making a bold statement like I did.

Well I stood corrected. somebody pls do a search on my take on the next nsx. :wink:

and To all of those who thought the nsx replacement will not be affected by the economy, as the rich will always be rich and spend their money...... well, looks like you are wrong. I'm not good on search, I don't remember how many times I said the V10 is no go. (despite I was sitting in front of computer and listen to the V10 prototype blow by and enjoying it.)

Unfortunately, the Stupid honda management team thinks the way I think... (or the other way around?) :rolleyes:

I'm predicting Honda is going to pick the fight with Korean and domestic(whatever survived) makes instead of rolling down hill with other expensive makes. They already loses enough money with Acura.

It's a dark age for performance-minded enthusiasts, I'm sure Honda have better use of their money to put into their everyday product for avg. joe than say, developing a V-10 GT for some privileged people and a wall poster for real honda buyers.

I am done with Honda, we absolutely live in the past and now it's OFFICIAL, no F1, no GT monster, no new NSX ... the S2000 is obsolete in today's standards when a Cobalt SS can be faster

It's a dark age for performance-minded enthusiasts

Interesting reads. Clearly, for many the shroud of the dark side has fallen upon Honda enthusiasts all over the globe today.

palpatineevil.jpg

(Above: Honda CEO Takeo Fukui proclaims no Honda nSX!)

anh05_2.jpg

(Above: GM's board. We may be bankrupt, but the Chevy Cobalt SS is now the ultimate power in the street tuner universe! General, get me Charity Hodges!)

Last edited:
Maybe instead of V10, they will put Hybrid engine in the future? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Honda had one thing going for it.... 15 years of experience with an "affordable" mid-engine exotic.The day they walked away from the mid-engine design, is the day their Halo car died!

We have 10 companies building fat, GT, luxury, pigs, with big engines.... and way more history and prestige than Honda. Sorry Honda, but you were banging your head against the wall with a front engine $150k car...its all about prestige and name plates in this segment- Ferrari, Maserati, Rolls, Bentley, Porsche, Austin Martin, Lexus(maybe) :tongue:

Honda spent 25 years building a fan base of guys like us, who grew-up loving fast, light, dependable sports cars. We're NOT exactly the Polo Club crowd..."nameplate snobs".

Remember where your fans came from Honda. HSC at $120k was an affordable daily driver (substitute for the Gallardo and F430) that's where Honda had a market advantage! I know a lot of guys that don't like the 911's style that are left now with few other chocies. (R8's not much better in the style category)

PS- nothing against my Polo friends, but they drive some big boring cars ;)

kiddDM1609_228x352.jpg
20031005_RR_Hou_Polo_Club_MVC-004F.jpg
2212095.jpg

Last edited:
Honda spent 25 years building a fan base of guys like us, who grew-up loving fast, light, dependable sports cars. We're NOT exactly the Polo Club crowd..."nameplate snobs".....

I agree and disagree, the problem is that Honda in the US did a great job marketing their cars as CHEAP ECONOMIC ECONOBOXES .... during the 70's early 80's to get into the US market (that's why we have Acura here) ,,, a different approach was used let's say in Europe or Latin America where F1 it's a Big sport and Hondas always are seen as very nice cars (+ Motorcycles sport or not) that kept getting better and better, yes Honda doesn't have "prestige" as some european brands I agree about that, but a true enthusiast can see beyond that (ford GT is a good example) there's nothing wrong making a 100K car on a massive production company as long that company it's leader in development of new technologies and has Racing heritage, that Honda has more than enough and true enthusiast knows that, that was the philosophy behind the NSX and even the S2k, come on a new S2k goes for around 36-37K ... that can buy you a LOADED TSX or basic TL with LOTS of goodies, but is a different kind of buyer, Honda is focusing CLEARLY right now in those buyers who want sedans + civics and good mileage cars (it's great, nothing wrong with that) but turning their backs on the THRU enthusiasts and THAT is a shame ...

I kinda figured this was coming but i hoped i was wrong. WHen they pulled out of F1 that was a clear sign that the car might get the axe. I work for Honda and even civics and accords arent selling like hotcakes like they used to. Its the first time in the 5 years i worked for Honda that our showroom actually looks kinda quiet. Honda is suffering but not as bad as other manufacturers. As much as we hate it.......they did the right thing by saving the hundreds of millions of dollars by cancelling F1 and the NSX replacement. Times will get better and hopefully they come back with another world beating car thats as gorgeous as the original NSX.
BTW..Audi pulled out of ALMS (which they have dominated), Subaru and Suzuki pulled out of WRC and rumor has it that Renault and Toyota might leave F1 also.

Well this news shoots my day in the ass.:frown:

+1:frown: I guess I'll have to look forward to the next "Supra"...definitely holding on to my current 91 as my daily driver, and will look for pre-OBD2 NSX to garage...

yeah it sucks, but Honda is doing right thing.

look at Ford, GM and Chrysler, despite their terrible condition, they still build the Viper ACR, Ford GT and Corvette ZR-1. Look at them now.
Those millions of $ that they spend on high performance sportscars, they should've spent on hybrids.

Last edited:
Just wondering... Did anyone else get an email from Mark @ Dali Racing about this???

Back