• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS short shift kit vs. Comptech?

All

I am looking to only shorten my forward and back throw, not the side to side for my 97 6 speed.. I see that there are only 2 choices of short shifter kits out there. They are both very good from what i heard...

SOS - short shift kit = only does forward and backward $60.00?

Comptech shortshift kit =doesnt side to side and forward and back. $140.00?

So my question is... are there any differences other than the extra parts i wouldnt need from the comptech kit since i dont want to short the side to side? Also the huge price difference?

Do both reduce throw about 25%?

Is one easier to install that the other?

Does the shifting still feel very solid and precise with this mod?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you going to have a shop install the short shift kit, which will probably costing you coupe of hours worth labor, the alternative is, replace the exisiting knob with the NA2 Type R knob. There are knock-offs out there, but I don't know how deep they screw down. The Type R knob will make you smile, and you can do it your self. Get the boot too if you can tag another 80 bucks.

hi Vance

I will probably install it myself... I am fairly mechanically inclined. As for the NA2 part you are refering to... Is there a site i can see pics of this? So bascially this will just lower the knob of the shifter versus the short shift kit which actually changes the throw.. correct? I have a really heavy clutch that i cant do anything about so i am trying to at least shorten the shift some to help my leg out some.

Thanks

Last edited:
By installing the Type R knob, you will Lower the shifter by about an inch. Here is a photo from my car.

13449DSC00450.jpg

Photo from Honda
photo111.jpg

TYPE R shifting boot.
shift_boot_out.jpg

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=988

Dali has the best price, and they also make a good knockoff. I like OEM parts, but if you don't have a six speed, a knockoff will be fine, because the OEM knob has the shifting pattern on it. You will like it, there is not a single soul who have driven my car didn't not mentioned how nice the knob/shifting is.

Vance

Looks great... nice car too!!! i will look into that mod as well... that mod will probably be right after or at the same time i put in the short shift.. the answers from all so far have been to go with the SOS.. due to my needs and price.

thanks!

Last edited:
Vancehu said:
..., the alternative is, replace the exisiting knob with the NA2 Type R knob....

I wouldn't say having a "shorter" gear knob is an alternative to a short shift kit installed...

I'd say the SOS short shift would be good, if the price of the CT is an issue. But I would most certainly get a lower profile knob. Oppossed to the OEM leather knob.

AU_NSX said:
I wouldn't say having a "shorter" gear knob is an alternative to a short shift kit installed...

I agree. I didn't like the feel of the shorter shift knob so I went back to the OEM shift knob and Comptech short shifter. Feels almost same as OEM with the shorter throw. Also, the short throw between the gates are not really noticeable.

-ak

We had the SOS short shift installed in our 94' by BASCH accurate in Phoenix just before NSXPO. We are running the short shift kit with a shortened shift knob.

I like it.

In my experiences with short shifters in other cars, there have been problems with positive engagement, and particularly problems with reverse.

No such problem with the SOS- a shift is just a flick away, and reverse is as positive as stock.

Unfortunately- I only have experience with the 5-speed kit, not the 6, and I have no experience with the Comptech kit to share.

Philip

ak said:
I agree. I didn't like the feel of the shorter shift knob so I went back to the OEM shift knob and Comptech short shifter. Feels almost same as OEM with the shorter throw. Also, the short throw between the gates are not really noticeable.

-ak

I agree totally!

I have the Comptech 5 speed short shifter and actually have a taller than OEM CF gear knob that with gloves on makes for a more positive feel...

I have the Zanardi Knob and Zanardi shifter linkage.
Anyone have the CT or SOS short shifter with this setup?
How is it?

My knuckles touched the ash tray cover with the GruppeM shift knob (similar to Zanardi) without the Comptech short shifter; after the Comptech short shifter problem was resolved. My glove size is L+ but not fully XL.

While the GruppeM shift knob matches the console color, I prefer the DaliRacing knob with its larger head since the grip is more comfortable and secure at the track. YMMV.

I was thinking thats what he meant but wanted to be sure. Has anyone installed the Comptech SS? Would I be able to install this myself?

Takes longer to get the center molding/vents out of the car. The CTSS works great and I don't see how the side to side would matter? It clicks into gear and I have the lower "R" shift knob too.

It shifts with a flick of the wrist and feels positive.

I have the SOS "dave" short shifter along with the SOS short stalk shifter and type r knob... and it's simply incredible :) well worth the money. Shifting feels so smooth and short now.

I'll snap a few pics when I get a chance.

Back