• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sport Cats and California Emissions

Still in the market for a NSX. I live in California and they’re beyond strict with SMOG.

I located a very nice vehicle but it has the Fabspeed Exhaust with the Sport Cats.

I KNOW THE CATS WON’T FLY!

The dealership (Honda) has the NSX and it’s the owner’s personal car.
He has the complete OEM exhaust that they took off to replace with the aftermarket. He won’t do it for me but agreed to take the car to the local Acura dealership so a NSX TECHNICIAN on MY dime…. But he was thinking swap the complete Fabspeed set up with the original OEM system.

MY QUESTION?

Can the Fabspeed exhaust be left on and only have them REPLACE the sport cats with the OEM cats because I want the Fabspeed exhaust left on..if possible?…. But want it to pass California’s CARB?

I mean, it can be done but you can just have them swap out for the OEM system if you're concerned about smog. There are so many wonderful exhaust options out there.

Since the owner is a Honda dealership, ask him to run the car through their smog check at the dealership. It is his responsibility to smog the car generally in California. Having said that as I understand the NC1 does not require smog until it is 5 years old. Also not sure it won’t pass with fab speed cat back downpipes. I woul give it a try. The removal of the fab speed will set you back around $800 or so. The fab speed exhaust may not be an issue unless it is called out by the smog folks. It does not have a Carb number I am guessing.

Last edited:
I agree run it and see..

Agree with Manny. See if it passes smog check as is. If so, you're good there, but then there is the visual inspection issue. I guess you can run the risk, but not sure what the fines/penalties are if you get caught? Manny?

If it passes smog testing, I doubt if the tech is going to take it apart to see if the CATS have CARB #'s.

Visual on these cars is a bitch, but to the modders benefit.

It is almost impossible to see the downpipes. The only item that will standout is the exhaust.

If you buy a CA car I believe it's not eligible for smog for the first 8yrs. I can't recall if that stays with the 1st owner, I don't think so. Out of state car is required at title transfer requires immediate smog and every two years thereafter (IIRC). So from this standpoint it's to your benefit to buy in-state. Again, check on the new owner portion of this. Don't listen to some random dude on the internet like me!

If you do require a smot... So visually it will fail if anything was changed before the mufflers (i.e. downpipes, cats, etc). However, if your smog guy ignores the visuals there's underlying requirements that need to pass at the minimum. This includes a "health check" at startup the factory ECU does every time. Often times downpipes or cats will cause this portion to fail and trigger a CEL. Then there are ECU hacks that can turn off these triggers but the smog test will catch those. There are some modifications to Cats and downpipes that will not trigger a CEL and can keep the car passing smog. SOS would be my resource for this information. I'd be money that a out-state tuner like Fabspeed will not have the incentive to keep their exhaust systems CA compliant from this standpoint.

Hope this helps.

If you buy a CA car I believe it's not eligible for smog for the first 8yrs. I can't recall if that stays with the 1st owner, I don't think so. Out of state car is required at title transfer requires immediate smog and every two years thereafter (IIRC). So from this standpoint it's to your benefit to buy in-state. Again, check on the new owner portion of this. Don't listen to some random dude on the internet like me!

If you do require a smot... So visually it will fail if anything was changed before the mufflers (i.e. downpipes, cats, etc). However, if your smog guy ignores the visuals there's underlying requirements that need to pass at the minimum. This includes a "health check" at startup the factory ECU does every time. Often times downpipes or cats will cause this portion to fail and trigger a CEL. Then there are ECU hacks that can turn off these triggers but the smog test will catch those. There are some modifications to Cats and downpipes that will not trigger a CEL and can keep the car passing smog. SOS would be my resource for this information. I'd be money that a out-state tuner like Fabspeed will not have the incentive to keep their exhaust systems CA compliant from this standpoint.

Hope this helps.

Well said.

Thanks all! It was a nice fully loaded 2017 from Bianchi Honda in Erie, PA. It was the owners car. I did not haggle with his asking price. Never even brought it up. Shipping was going to cost me ~$2500 (Enclosed)….. and I asked him since he owns the dealership maybe for a “break” with one of his shippers? Again….. wasn’t interested…. He said shipping was all on me. Again….. I wanted the car so I didn’t make a big deal. I knew it had the after market Fabspeed…… so on a whim….. I asked if any other modifications? He then told me about the sport cats. Since he was a Honda dealership and he WAS the OWNER….. I REQUESTED if he could have his guys (Technicians)…. Just replace the sport cats with the OEM (since the salesperson told me their dealership DID THE INSTSALL!!! He declined and said he didn’t want to be responsible if his guys damaged the car since the whole rear has to be removed. He got me a quote of
$2300 from the local Acura dealership…. Of course staying true to his MO….. ALL on me. I decided…. I didn’t want his car that bad (And he seemed like an A-Hole)…..so I walked.

Chip…. And now this guy! I’m 0 for 2!!!

In the dealers' defence (somewhat), removing the downpipes runs the risk of destroying the turbos ($$) as the housing is attached to them. My installer advised me of that risk when I changed mine, despite the fact that this was done as soon as I got the car.

Anyone here know of any videos with the Fi titanium exhaust on a NC1 NSX?
Wondering how it sounds looking to possibly purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you may not need to remove exhaust or catted downpipe. Unless car is throwing codes.

The smog check are done via visual and OBDII scan. At most smog check places you will be fine if they ok with visual.

From a sound standpoint the exhaust does not make a big difference. The sound comes from the 100% increase in air throughput associated with the down pipes. You can save some weight going with a cat Back exhaust. You will lose the quieter sport mode when you go with an exhaust that lacks the baffles.

Last edited:
don't the down pipes shift the power band upward abit meaning you lose some torque in the lower revs?

From one owner who takes his car to the drag strip, he only has the JB4 and stock cats and exhaust. He believes as you stated that the horse power gains are at high RPMs. However I like the increased exhaust sound.

Back