• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sportshift NSX

Anyone hear own a Sportshift NSX? What are your likes and dislikes about it? Is it a gimmick thing, or does it actually have a purpose?

My father has a '97-T with the auto sportshift. In full auto mode it shifts abruptly into second with a hard bang. In auto M4 it shifts much smoother. When you manually shift with the finger lever the car runs great but it takes more thought than a regular manual imho. Also, it feels faster overall than my '94 manual; which may be true because the '97 is a 3.2L, but I know that is not the case when you compare the published numbers. I hope this helps as I have driven both back-2-back quite frequently.

Why couldn't they just make both types of transmission have 270 or 290hp 3.2 liter? Why does the auto have only 252hp, and only 3.0 liters? Also was it 94 when the sportshift came out, or 95?

Opps, I think you guys are right. The auto is a 3.0L. Anyway, by the seat of my pants, the auto-shift "feels" faster, but that may also be due to the lighter feel of the steering due to the power assist. Oh well!!

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
Opps, I think you guys are right. The auto is a 3.0L. Anyway, by the seat of my pants, the auto-shift "feels" faster, but that may also be due to the lighter feel of the steering due to the power assist. Oh well!!

The automatic engines have a little more torque on the low end (but have less power top end). They are also geared differently. So I'd guess that's what you feel.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 16 September 2000).]

Why couldn't they just make both types of transmission have 270 or 290hp 3.2 liter?

Because they would have had to spend more time designing the transmission to be able to handle the additional power. Presumably they didn't want to spend as much because they are only for ~10 percent of the cars, and folks who want maximum performance get the manual version anyway.

Why does the auto have only 252hp, and only 3.0 liters?

Because that's all the transmission can handle?

Also was it 94 when the sportshift came out, or 95?

See the FAQ, "Changes by Year":
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

Back