• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spring Fling 2008 Rumor Mill

So, it's already May and you're wondering where the NSX Spring Fling is? Let me share some of the things I've heard from reliable sources...

1. There will be a Spring Fling 2008!
2. It won't be until early summer.
3. Don't make any plans June 21st.
4. It will be someplace just over the Chicago border that rhymes with "Pindiana."
5. Somebody already put a deposit down on some track time at an enduro kart racing track. Now we're really going to see who the best drivers are.
6. Snacks, refreshments and facility tour of a guy's house who has (supposedly) 3 NSXs, 8 spare NSX motors, a huge newly completed deck, a car-themed bar right above his garage and 1 disgruntled son who doesn't drive an NSX.
7. Taking that guy's lead, Sean is building a collection of spare Acura Legend drivetrains (he currently doesn't own a Legend, even better). Also he drives faster backwards.
8. Apparently hell has frozen because I don't own an NSX anymore and I need a ride (technically I don't even own a car right now).
9. Rocco drives some sissy British car now.

Wow. Just call me Gomez Hilton.

1 question.
You don't have your car anymore?

Last edited:
Once I realized the Legend engine had the same oil pan gasket as the NSX, I've had this fetish to collect as many of them as I can. I have them in various stages of assembly, and I find that I like to hang out and just talk to them. They don't say much, but I know they're listening to every word I say. I sometimes pull the NSX out of the garage so they don't get embarrassed.

What's for absolute certain is that there is going to be a Spring Fling, and it will be fun, fun, FUN!! If we can't flog our own cars, let's flog someone else's, so let's go karting!

We've rented out Michiana Raceway Park June 21st from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM in order to hold an endurance kart race!!!! You heard that right, just like LeMans, we're going to see who's the strongest and fastest team in the NSX community.

The track is located in North Liberty, Indiana, which is just southwest of South Bend. We tried to pick a location that was within decent driving distance of Indiana, Illinois and Michigan in order to attract the greatest crowd.

The race will be comprised of teams of three or four, and the number of teams will depend on how many people we can get to sign up. The cost is $125 per kart, per hour. For example, 3 people splitting a Kart for 2 hours will cost a tad over $83 per person. That ain't bad folks, you'll be getting TONS of driving time, and I think it will be a blast. Sign up as early as possible so I can give the facility an accurate headcount as the date approaches.

Rules:
You must wear long pants and closed-toe shoes. The track will provide all the necessary helmets and other driving attire. You can bring your own helmets, but they must be approved by the track upon arrival. They weren't able to specifically tell me what helmet standards they adhere to, but I'll try to clarify that in the next few days.

Let's get as many people as we can and make this an event to remember. More information to come!!

Sean

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and it's close enough for you Ohio guys too! :biggrin:

First Frank ,no x and now Roc with no x, has everybody lost there minds.

Karting I"m in

Brian

OK. Now it really gets interesting. We're forming Teams for the Karting Enduro. I think ideally, we'd like to have 5-6 teams with 3-4 people on each team.

Let me stress that this is NOT a popularity contest. It is purely for the purposes of hyping and trash talking. We could pick teams randomly, but it will be much more fun this way. If a team wants to take it to a level where they get a logo and tee-shirts made, more power to 'em.

Sean, Bob and I are going to get the ball rolling with the first three teams. (I'm still waiting for their team names.) If you think you can get enough people together to form a team, please PM me. You'll be responsible for "managing" your team and replacing members if they drop out. If that is too much for you, then sign up for one of the listed teams.

Team Eternal Sportsmind
Motto: "Never drive faster than you can see. Beyond that, it's all in the reflexes."
1. Frank Oles
2. Brian (RutRX7)
3. Val (Valenzul)
4. Mike Porritt

Team Apex Predators
Motto: TBD
1. Sean Williams

Team F.I. Brotherhood
Motto: "More is never enough."
1. Bob Kenney

Last edited:
First, will the karts fit someone of my stature-- both physically and egotistically?

Second, I've been on a crash diet (ala Robert Kubica) and I'm in prime racing form. I'll be entertaining offers from each of the teams to add my name to their roster. You can reach me by PM at my place in Monaco. BTW, I heard Kubica lost weight by eating nothing but pierogi-- that's the diet for me!

-RJ

ps for Sean: 1:35 at Gingerman

I think I've a gained a little weight, but I still think that I weight less than you RJ:biggrin:

But then again, I might not be as good as a driver as you...:frown:

Anyways, I'm in...Dropping the kids of @ the pool ....errrr grandparents I mean.

-Val

new news?get my headers on sun before F1 in HD getting the itch!

Fear not Brian... Spring Fling is full speed ahead.

Bob finally decided on a team name. That took a while. NOW we can move forward.:biggrin:

I'll have an official thread up in the next few days, but we're going to keep it simple.

We'll have a morning meeting in Chicago burbs. Drive together to Bob's place (from Schaumburg, the drive is about 1.2 hrs, just over the border in Indiana) and drool over his motor collection. Drive to the Kart track and race karts from 11-1. We may go back to Bob's, or we might go right to Quaker Steak and Lube, where we'll have the trophy ceremony and hang out while eating tater skins. The group drive will be tucked in there somewhere too.

It should be a nice day of cruising, and we'll save the silly stuff for the track.

Personally, I am having major NSX pains - it is like a phantom limb or something. At least I still have my Best Motoring Videos to keep me warm.

How about a DG Fri to get everybody to get fired up!

Frank

I'm going to drive all the way north to meet for the drive even though it takes about 40min to get to Bobs from my house. GOT THE BIG ITCH. 89K and counting. 100k here I come.

If we need people for the fling, ROC with his AM ? And I got two good friends with
nice RX7's that would go?

Rut

Brian -

Good to see somebody is fired up about the Fling! I'm going to get an "Official" Fling thread going tonight.

Yes, lets meet up for Downers this Friday. I already mentioned it to Rae, and I'll see Sean soon. I'll put a thread up for that too. Hopefully it's not raining.

Yes, you should bring your friends with the RX7s. My friend Mike is going to bring his 350Z, and I just picked up an Integra Type R yesterday and drove it home from Pennsylvania. So we'll have a little variety this year!

Just talking to people, it seems like nobody has really put any substantial miles on their NSXs yet this year. Crummy weather to blame? This Friday sounds like a good excuse to get out.

- Frank

I'm up for DG this Friday, as long as this soggy weather dries up. I'll be diligently watching the weather report for Friday afternoon.

I can also give you guys a report on the cars I got to drive last weekend:

Audi R8
Lambo Gallardo Superleggera
Ferrari 599
Callaway C16
Spyker C8 Spyder

I'm up for DG this Friday, as long as this soggy weather dries up. I'll be diligently watching the weather report for Friday afternoon.

I can also give you guys a report on the cars I got to drive last weekend:

Audi R8
Lambo Gallardo Superleggera
Ferrari 599
Callaway C16
Spyker C8 Spyder

Lucky!!

How did that R8 Drive! That might be the only semi obtainable one in that list!

Lucky!!

How did that R8 Drive! That might be the only semi obtainable one in that list!

The R8 was indeed an awesome car, and after driving it I can understand the comparisons between it and the NSX. It was very well put together and enjoyable to drive. It was easy to just get in and drive, and was happy to roam around town or blast down the highway. It was the car I was probably most comfortable in other than the 599. The exhaust note of the Lambo and Audi made me want to hit redline on every shift.

When the R8 finally receives the V10, I think it will be an exceptional supercar that you could drive daily.

Last edited:
Here I say let go to DG Fri and I cant go, just got free white sox tics (good seats) my bad.

Brian

I will probably be there Friday nite.... (if there isn't any hail or tornados..:mad: ) Keep the fingers crossed!

Dave

Back