• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spy Shots: 2009/10 Acura NSX

When the NSX came out it shook the sportscar world, lets hope they do it again.

This is my point exactly. I remember reading how a representative of Honda (don't know if this was a major exec. or P.R. person) said that the next NSX, NSX replacement, Honda Supercar, or whatever they want to call it, would redefine the sports car industry with revolutionary ideas as the original NSX did. I can't help but get the feeling that they went from this idea, while calling it the NEXT NSX, to a lesser idea of a replacement car to "rival" other high end sport cars, then eventually to just a Honda High-End Sport Car to "compete".

If Honda builds a GT type car, then we get into engine displacement versus price. If we stick aim at price, then performance benchmark should be the C6 or Z06. That means 500hp or more, huge rear tires and an ugly, uninspired look. If we have a high price, say $150k or whatever, then Ferrari, Lambo, etc, would need to be the benchmark.

If Honda builds a mid-engine rear wheel drive, like the current NSX, with restrictd engine size, then it can claim exotic status and not have to compete with Vettes and Vipers. It would then retain its status and be competition for Ferrari and Porsche, etc.

I'm trying to think right now - what would Honda have to put in a GT car for me to care? For $80k I can get 500+ hp, made in America, and can kick the crap out of about any other car on the track. I hear by the end of the year your $80k will get you 600hp in a 3100lb car. Yikes.

Based on this, the next NSX (or Honda's next top sports car, whatever its called) needs to be exotic. No room to compete with Vette in GT. Then, it needs to have about a 4.5L, NA engine, 9000rpm or more, 500hp or more, and be as lights as or lighter than the Z06 and F430. Since that alone doesn't beat those cars, it will need something beyond this, such as SH-AWD, or some new suspension or to be extra light weight.

Anything that looks like a S2000 (long nose, short back) has no place in this arena, IMHO. Corvette already doubled downed its effort there, and has new products every few years.

I'm not sure how someone says that the market has changed and people want GT type cars. They only want them because Corvettes are so good and cheap now and that makers are putting HUGE displacement engines in their cars. People seem to want the big power, regardless of engine size.

The real question is, what engine size is the right choice for Honda? I think the answer to that question determines if the next car is GT (FR) or MR.

I certainly hope for MR. If I wanted "high performance" even if it is FR and non-exotic, I'd have bought a Z06 by now.

Reminds me of a movie title - "No Way Out"

Honda only see's one way out of this mess.... the 1st "Green" Exotic Sports Car! :rolleyes:

I'm not happy about it. But Honda is tripping over themselfs about being the "Greenest Car Company" reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone got a Hybrid car and started killing themselfs with their own smugness :biggrin:

I'm sorry...but exotic sports car guys are not into gas mileage :(

Reminds me of a movie title - "No Way Out"

Honda only see's one way out of this mess.... the 1st "Green" Exotic Sports Car! :rolleyes:

I'm not happy about it. But Honda is tripping over themselfs about being the "Greenest Car Company" reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone got a Hybrid car and started killing themselfs with their own smugness :biggrin:

I'm sorry...but exotic sports car guys are not into gas mileage :(

So true. Or we would all be driving prius and civic hybrid!

So true. Or we would all be driving prius and civic hybrid!

yeah but don't forget that a hybrid has some performance advantages over a regular engine. Electric motors have a lot of torque. Also they run very quiet, which is sometimes nice too. I think Hybrids can have a place in performance cars. Toyota's new Supra is going to be a Hybrid, isn't it?

just a thought:

Anybody hear how the new GT-R does NOT have a VQ twin turbo motor but a VR formula based motor in it! all within 2 months of debuting.....it makes you wonder what Acura really has up its sleeves!

we can dream.

I am new to your forum, however, I have always loved Hondas and we currently own two 07 SI's. I have been a Porsche nut for 40 years and have been following the Pan America development which sounds very close to the new NSX/ front engined variant, if true. The Pan America will be the next Porsche super car with a high output engine and four doors. Can it really be a high performance Porsche with the engine in the front and four doors?? Time will tell . . .

The stories I have read say this is the result of Porsche's marketing research and a lot of the enthusiasts are disappointed with the direction of the new Porsches, IE: lots of gadgets and creature comforts instead of a minamalist car with lots of performance. It sounds like you guys are echoing the same sentiments about Honda.

Could you please direct me to an area of the forum that discusses what to look for and what model year/ types of NSX's to look for?? I am considering an NSX and would appreciate any guidance you can offer. I do not want to redirect this thread so a PM would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Just my thots. I think it will be MR. Here are a few points I have not read in the threads, that I think that could affect some decisions made by Honda. Very true where I think that Honda has created a type of following with the NSX and most of the things mentioned here I am sure Honda knows. Almost anything coming out that have been seen like this Stretched N2k, I've always believed these were done purposely..kinda like the movies blockbusters gets copied and sold in the black market. They have enough power/money to keep things tight if they really wanted it to. As you can see the pics, they are taken in public-daylight. I'm sure Honda has enough money to build a dome where no outsiders can see in, so why choose the public roads? Another point...Ego. Us nsx'rs have a sense of owning something "unique"..true? Honda knows this I am sure again. Every company has a purpose. The most compared cars, due to explotations are the Nsx and Skyline Gtrs. They are nothing alike, but ego, as you can see is surely benefitial. The mid-engine not only creates a different perspective on performance, but has also created a style/look unlike most of the cars out there, so eventhough these are 2 different cars, a good looking car is stacked with another strickly made for power. I rem showing my friends where the engine bay was, and they look at the engine for 2 sec, and the latch for 3minutes! I doubt Honda is willing to throw this away. If FR, it would put them smack in the center of Nissan and Toyota for the highest end street car, and that means they are starting from the back row. Meaning it may takes years for the public to accept/compare to other cars they know very well with this set up. If some of you may not know, Toyota sales have always been #1 in Japan. Second, which I am not sure (could be Honda if I rem correctly), is WAAAYYYY behind. "Weird how the biggest company in Japan doesn't have their top-end street car even near top(Supra). From living in Japan for the past few years, Rx-7 seems to be the 3rd choice in this performance ego market. Honda I think knows they have a very different outlook of where the company stands, and re-inventing the wheel may be too risky. If they lose this Icon, this could also mean losing many of the lower-end cars that Graduate (As Vance said) up to it. Nsx we all know is under-powered compared to some of the other supercars out there. If not for the unique sexy ass looks, we may have changed our minds of owning one. So in the end, MR with a more mature suttle look is my guess. I've found the test driver for it tho.

Attachments

• Asimo.jpg
    Asimo.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 32
Back