• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

steering play

I'm noticing a small amount of play in the steering wheel at slow speeds, maybe a few degrees in each direction. I haven't had a chance to jack up the front to see where it's coming from, but has anyone else had this issue? Is this something that can be fixed with the SOS steering rack bushings?

I'm noticing a small amount of play in the steering wheel at slow speeds, maybe a few degrees in each direction. I haven't had a chance to jack up the front to see where it's coming from, but has anyone else had this issue? Is this something that can be fixed with the SOS steering rack bushings?

Off hand I'd say it's a litte quick to decide that without checking it out on a lift.
"Greenberet" has a good suggestion.
What year is your car and how many miles?

Last edited:
pbassjo - it's a 91 with 77k miles. Unfortunately, the service manual is a little aspecific about steering play. It suggests to 'check all steering components.' I'll have to try the gearbox adjustment when I inspect the tie rod ends, though.

Last edited:
So I've finally had a chance to lift the front end, but I'm still confused. If I grab either of the rack ends, it feels like I can jiggle them a tiny bit, but I can't see any play. I might be able to jiggle the right side a little more than the left, but this is hardly a scientific test. (The part of the tie rod end that sticks into the ball joint can't be moved by hand at all.) Is this normal, or is that a sign that they should be replaced?

Furthermore, when I look closely, I can see that the tires do move a little bit when I wiggle the steering wheel, so it might not be steering "play", precisely, but it seems like the tires should be moving more than they are. Am I just not used to the NSX steering ratio? Can I tighten it up by performing the steering gearbox adjustment?

I've got a similar problem with my 91 with manual/non powersteering.

No play in the tie rod ends, but where the right tie rod goes into the steering rack. Any way to fix that other than changing the whole rack?

Attachments

• steering rack.jpg
    steering rack.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Awsome ;)

Mine sounds and acts like that, but not as bad.
Price still 390SFR?

I believe yes, SFR 390 for the revision. The price for the parts is less. I hope my friend joins this thread.

Awsome ;)

Mine sounds and acts like that, but not as bad.
Price still 390SFR?

Dear
Yes i have this Part and yes i can to it for you or i'll send you the Piece:
But for the Guide Bushing you must pay Cleaner and Glue from Loctite (Only Loctite it is basic!)
What every you want.

Send me PM and i'll give you the Order-Instructions

Best Regards
Eric

I believe yes, SFR 390 for the revision. The price for the parts is less. I hope my friend joins this thread.

Dear
Yes i have this Part and yes i can to it for you or i'll send you the Piece:
But for the Guide Bushing you must pay Cleaner and Glue from Loctite (Only Loctite it is basic!)
What every you want.

Send me PM and i'll give you the Order-Instructions

Best Regards
Eric

Yo GoldNSX! (Or Deylo) PM me I need these bushings - how hard is it to install? And did it resolve any squeaking or steering slack on the steering wheel? Very interested! THX :biggrin:

Yo GoldNSX! (Or Deylo) PM me I need these bushings - how hard is it to install? And did it resolve any squeaking or steering slack on the steering wheel? Very interested! THX :biggrin:
The install should be done by someone who is capable on working on sterring gearboxes. It solves the sound you hear in the video. The squeaking may have another cause. The slack will be diminished if it's installed properly. I've deylo to pm you. :)

In case anyone was wondering, my mechanic confirms that the play is coming from the passenger-side inner tie rod end.

Where is that located exactly? Thx

In case anyone was wondering, my mechanic confirms that the play is coming from the passenger-side inner tie rod end.
I give it a 75% change (at least) that it's the bushing within the steering gearbox if it's a manual steering. But to be sure you have to take things apart because they're very close to each other.

I give it a 75% change (at least) that it's the bushing within the steering gearbox if it's a manual steering.
I'm not sure I understand where exactly this bushing is. Is there a diagram of it in the service manual?

There’s no diagram of that bushing in the Service Manual because Honda/Acura doesn’t sell it as a separate part. It’s located inside the steering gear box on the passenger’s side end:

yellow circle - inner tie rod end
red circle - bushing within the steering gearbox

It's hard to distinguish where the play is coming from. BUT if the tie rod has play from many miles or heavy use the bushing is due to change by 99% because it's the much weaker point.

Attachments

• IMG_1642(2).JPG
    IMG_1642(2).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 449
hello gents,

I have reason to believe this bushing will need changing in my car soon. Can you help me understand better what's involved in the disassembly process? I know opening a "non-serviceable" steering box is needed but when changing out the bushing are any special tools needed such as a hydraulic press or other various tools?

Back