• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

still love my nsx, but............

Likely one of the BEST replies I've been privileged to digest here on Prime in all the "looking elsewhere" threads through the years.

Have to agree with this and the post he's commenting on - it was as good as I've read on this and even for a relative new guy compared to some here this thread has come up more than once over the last year and a half.

I've owned a lot of sports cars too and everytime I get that "wandering eye" I get in my NSX and drive it and I just can't think of another car in my price range that makes any sense. A 35k turbo Porsche is a cool car but there is no way I would trade my NSX for a 996 water cooled Turbo Porsche. The NSX is one that you can drive without worry that it's going to depreciate or more importantly something is going to break - not like a 911!

Be happy with your NSX and get out there and drive it!

Last edited:
Most Porsches actually are pretty reliable. Do some research and you will see they last quite well. I don't know about the stiff clutch issue since most NSX cars have aftermarket clutches so that all depends on what you compare it to.

A Porsche C2 is pretty standard but a Turbo is hard to find and a GT3 is even more special. I drove a stock 997 GT3 (not RS) and it was naturally aspirated and had a nice clutch and it was everything I would wish for in a new car. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds plus the gearing is great. I have a Supercharged NSX with nearly 400whp and that would still get smoked by a new GT3.

People talk about doing a Turbo like is a simple procedure but it is anything but that. If you want something above 400whp than you need to open the engine block up and replace the internals. That can run between $5k-8k just in parts. Sleeving the block, rods, pistons, and Billet Crank are big bucks. Half of that you probably don't need depending on your power wishes. However, then you will likely need to upgrade your suspension and brakes to match the power to do it right. The car has to be balanced to work right. By that time you might as well just buy a GTR or used GT3 Porsche that is ready to go. That is what I learned after spending so much money on the NSX already. The NSX is a good car in stock form but to match today's supercars you will need to spend quite a bit to make the car what it needs to be with suspension, brakes and engine. I have priced it out and know that first hand.

FWIW I own a C6 Z06 that currently has 43k miles on the clock. I bought it 6 months ago, and have driven it 3k miles over that time. I have loved every mile of that too. I do not plan to get rid of it anytime soon. I LOVE the 7.0 LS7. Its a light fun car to drive, and has no interior rattles at all. My friend's G35c isn't holding up as good as my Z06 is.

The Z06 is more unique than a regular C6 with a different motor, frame and body panels. It still does not possess the uniqueness that an NSX does. If you can get passed that you will absolutely love a C6 Z06.

That being said, I plan on purchasing an NSX to go along with my Z06. I want to have a mid engine Japanese car to compliment the big American V8. Best of both worlds IMO! I wouldn't get hung up on things like exclusivity and uniqueness too much. Just experience all that the automotive world has to offer and be able to make your own conclusions.

Last edited:
As some have stated the 996tt is a reliable car, I know, I own one and I track it, those who state it is not do not own one. You turbo the NSX and you are asking for more trouble than you may be willing to put up with, like getting it properly tuned and running reliably in all weather. Everyone I have met with a turbo modded NSX or even SC has had tuning issues, unless you are very comfortable with tuning don't do it. The 996tt is factory prepared and at stock is very reliable, when modded you open up a can of worms. Maintenance on the 996 is similar to the NSX, not less but not much more. The clutch is easy to replace as the engine drops right out compared to the NSX, but that is not a routine item. Routine items such as oil are a bit of a pain on the 996tt and the amount of oil is double but so what, you want something special not a Camry, right.

The 2001 996tt is the least expensive and most reliable of all the 911 Turbos and can be had at the upper end of your price range, I know because that is what I paid last year for mine, you have to search but it should be easy as they made a lot of those cars and there is someone taking care of one just for you as we speak. Don't go near any 996s other than Turbo, GT3 or GT2, as they have several engine issues and the Turbo and GTs are a completely different engine than the other 996s.

The NSX is the absolute best bang for the buck and you just can't beat it and it is without question the most reliable of all the cars discussed and probably the most fun overall. But your eyes are wandering so you need to get it out of your system. If you go with the super sexy and exotic Ferraris your bank account will be drained in no time. The homley 911tt won't kill you financially, will put a big smile on your face, but if you sell the NSX you will be back as it is not anything like the NSX.

Good luck,

Tytus

As some have stated the 996tt is a reliable car, I know, I own one and I track it, those who state it is not do not own one. You turbo the NSX and you are asking for more trouble than you may be willing to put up with, like getting it properly tuned and running reliably in all weather. Everyone I have met with a turbo modded NSX or even SC has had tuning issues, unless you are very comfortable with tuning don't do it. The 996tt is factory prepared and at stock is very reliable, when modded you open up a can of worms. Maintenance on the 996 is similar to the NSX, not less but not much more. The clutch is easy to replace as the engine drops right out compared to the NSX, but that is not a routine item. Routine items such as oil are a bit of a pain on the 996tt and the amount of oil is double but so what, you want something special not a Camry, right.

The 2001 996tt is the least expensive and most reliable of all the 911 Turbos and can be had at the upper end of your price range, I know because that is what I paid last year for mine, you have to search but it should be easy as they made a lot of those cars and there is someone taking care of one just for you as we speak. Don't go near any 996s other than Turbo, GT3 or GT2, as they have several engine issues and the Turbo and GTs are a completely different engine than the other 996s.

The NSX is the absolute best bang for the buck and you just can't beat it and it is without question the most reliable of all the cars discussed and probably the most fun overall. But your eyes are wandering so you need to get it out of your system. If you go with the super sexy and exotic Ferraris your bank account will be drained in no time. The homley 911tt won't kill you financially, will put a big smile on your face, but if you sell the NSX you will be back as it is not anything like the NSX.

Good luck,

Tytus

This is a good write up. Good info. I'm waiting till the DFI comes way down in value - say about 4 years from now. That's the sad thing - Porsches do depreciate fairly fast - the NSXs have depreciated too but not as much relatively.

This is a good write up. Good info. I'm waiting till the DFI comes way down in value - say about 4 years from now. That's the sad thing - Porsches do depreciate fairly fast - the NSXs have depreciated too but not as much relatively.

I'm thinking if you compare the sticker on our cars new vs the resale the depreciation is more in line with other sports cars...for instance the sticker on my 96 was 85k, taxes included, vs what a one owner 88k mile 96 would fetch today say around 35k give or take

Everyone I have met with a turbo modded NSX or even SC has had tuning issues, unless you are very comfortable with tuning don't do it.
We've never met. The closest I've come to tuning my CTSC in the ten years (and something like 20k miles) it has been on the car is making sure the belt is properly tensioned and a three-run dyno session to quench my curiosity (a/f was as it should be). I've driven 12000ft passes, tracked under 2000ft, and live at 5000 ft where it has seen very warm and cold days. No issues. Either I'm lucky in general, lucky to have OBD1, lucky to be content and not tinkering to get ever more HP, or my experience is common (not lucky) and FI doesn't necessarily mean issues.

Last edited:
I'm thinking if you compare the sticker on our cars new vs the resale the depreciation is more in line with other sports cars...for instance the sticker on my 96 was 85k, taxes included, vs what a one owner 88k mile 96 would fetch today say around 35k give or take

You know Doc, you're right about that. Porsches in 91 were about what the NSX was in 91 - they're about the same price today after depreciation no matter what condition you're looking at - they're pretty much the same cost. I guess our NSXs are depreciating too. Oh well. I'm not selling anyhow.

2002-09-01-sundaytimes.jpg

I had a Autorotor CTSC installed March of 2006. I drive at least 6-7k miles a year and have had no tuning issues at all.

No issues with my ctsc. I've had it on since 2006 and been through more than 20 track weekends.

Now guys if this artical doesn't get you blood pumping then you're just dead. RSO - THANK YOU! I really appreciated reading this. I had never seen this before and it is a wonderful read. What a gas sitting next to Senna in an NSX and the funny thing is this reporter doesn't have one? Or does he - didn't sound like it. Anyway those of us that do should be damn happy.

I was thinking the other day about 911s and old ones at that and I talked with my friend George, owner of Automobile Atlanta, about old 911s and he said - and I paraphrase - you know you can drive without reserve anywhere you want to in your NSX - you wouldn't do that in an old 911. I thought about that and you know something - he's right! I'm lucky to have my NSX. It's a great car and it still turns heads and it is still fast and it still handles great! So what's not to like. Sure compared to a new 911 Turbo it's not up to that speed but it also didn't cost me 140k. No I've only got 34k in my car and everything, knock on wood, is done and completely up to date. I have Swift sport springs sitting in my basement next to brand new bilstiens in the box, which my friend George gave me for my 60th birthday, waiting for me and Spring to put them on! I'm getting excited about just thinking about it - I'm driving the last bit of good out of my Michelin Pilots which they don't even make for my wheel size anymore so I'll get the Contis.

We all should be happy we live in a time when there was a car that was under the direction of one of the great drivers of all time and that Honda actually listened to him - what other car manufacturer can say that - none about Aryton but there are other drivers sure - but not many sports car manufacturers out there did what Honda did so many years ago. WoW- that artical just gave me a huge boost - I hope everyone on Prime reads this!

Thanks again RSO!

Agreed that the CTSC probably has the least issues. Their new more powerful set up is not 50 state compliant and has similar issues for tuning as do NSX turbo setups but you gotta mess with it and deal with smoging. Once these cars are sorted they are all pretty good from what I understand, but getting there is the challenge. The Basch (Sp?) SC set up from what I read is another problem child and many have had issues. I did a lot of research and was thinking of going that route until CT closed then reopend, SCs were not available and the whole thing just started to get drawn out, delayed until I lost interest and decided to keep the car stock and reliable. I almost bought a car that already had a CTSC on it when I was first looking but it did not pass a Larry B PPI as it had issues. Most who have the CTSC I know are happy and as long as they really don't mess with it, it will maintain relatively high reliability, which is why I wanted to do it in the first place even after the bad car I almost bought.

The OP was looking for a change of pace, and I beleive will be back no matter what he buys, these cars are great! As far as depreciation is concerned, buying a 10 year old 996tt is a great bang for the buck as my car listed over $125k new and I bought it for $36.5k, that's quite a hit to the original owner. How much lower can it drop? That is why I think it is a good alternative to the NSX, but honestly it cannot replace the NSX or better it.

Best,

Tytus

Agreed that the CTSC probably has the least issues. Their new more powerful set up is not 50 state compliant and has similar issues for tuning as do NSX turbo setups but you gotta mess with it and deal with smoging.

:confused:The only supercharger package currently offered by CT Engineering is 50 states legal.

Last edited:
OK guys, you are killing me---I pick up my well used car on Monday. Now I certainly am not qualified to rate an NSX against anything till I dirve one for a while---but I can give an opinion on Porsche, Corvette, etc. Bang for the performance buck--Drive a C5 or C6 Corvette! Forget the name, the body design, etc. DRIVE ONE!! They are fantastic especially when you consider the cost. I sold my 97' with 90K miles---no rattles, no issues, 31mpg on regular, running coast to coast during the 9-11 mess and crusing over 100 across Kansas like it was doing 50. I sold it for $18.5 due to "boring". It ran perfect and the new owner sent me e-mail a year later and said---still perfect. But it is common, not exotic, buttt it does run. Porsche's ---you got to know which one before you buy. My nephew is on his second early 930 Turbo. This one is an 86--factory slope nose whale tail with upgraded Turbo---it is air cooled with all those short comings. Interior is very dated yet perfect---. You still get some "VW" odors with the heater on and you do know when the A/C kicks in. Fast--sure. Fun to drive--not so much as you need to be careful with the lag and boost activity of the turbo. Would I own one--no thanks.
The problem with all "older high performance cars" is parts, service, and maintenance. Parts is obvious, service relates to who does what and how good are they individually, and maintenance can be a PITA (hoses, belts, radiators, aluminum tubes, all rubber bushings, etc.) From everything I read here, the NSX is not immune to any of this, just better then most.
Both of my 928S4 were fantastic cars---early design (70's)--but by mid 80's were one of the best to own. By the 90's, they were dated, seemed slower, finding a good mechanic became an issue, and the reliability became a concern---sound familiar? Nothing like having an issue and taking the 928 to the dealer who introduces you to their "master mechanic" who looks like he's 25 and opens the rear hatch to work on the motor!! DA, it's up front buddy!!!
So, perhaps having a super running stock NSX always available is like a marriage---might get a little boring after a while. Just be advised, sometimes we take for granted and want something new just for the sake of something new. You might just regret selling old BETSY. I know I have done that on occasion. I am buying the NSX for Balance, performance, looks, affordability, and ----FUN!!!
Huck

That article is great but lets get real people. It was written in 2002. That's a 2 generation lifespan when you look at Ferraris(F360 to F430 to F458) and 1.5 gens in a Porsche(996 to 997 to 997.2) So while the article is cool and awesome in NSX owner's eyes it isn't applicable to 2010.

RSO, thanks for the great article! can't get enough of it!

Mike, as for wandering...........do what feels right especially when you have two young children.
nice to have a second row of seats but I never drove my 86 928S very fast.

when I had my third kid, I went to the SUV and van combo

I went through the same thing 2 years ago. I loved the nsx but it was underpowered. I decided to turbocharge it , until I got the pricing and found out all the issues with the turbo. So I began to look for one that already had a turbo and the owner had already de-bugged the set-up and had built a reliable fast car. The car that I first looked at had a lovefab kit, was red to match my other NSX, and at a price that I could afford. By the time I made that decision the car was gone.:frown: I kept searching and found one that all the hard work was done ,but the car was not done perfectly and I could not live with that,so I tore the car apart and built it the way it should have been done in the first place. Cost me about 5000 and a lot of work, but the final result was well worth it. The car will keep up with anything on the road , starts all the time , and requires little or no maintenance. I kept the other NSX and because of its lack of power I very rarely drive it(although it is very nice to drive). I would do what KooKoo said and look for a turbo or supercharged NSX in your area and go for a ride before making a decision. That being said if I had any one of the "supercars" that you talk of I would have to turbocharge it to truly enjoy it after having this car. JMHO Brian:biggrin:

If you bought the NSX because you wanted something really fast OR everyone's approval that you are a "certified baller" then you bought it for the wrong reason. It should not matter if strangers do not recognize your car. What matters is how YOU feel about your car and do not let another person hate if they are closed minded or ignorant to the sports car ideals.

If speed/performance is the main priority, go get a C6/Z06 like everyone else is saying. Either that or get any "race replica" japanese superbike for ~$10K or less if the budget is tight. That should fill your >faster void for a bit hehe. I promise you will be back though if you are a true sports car enthusiast.

There are plently of owners up here who moved on to bigger, faster and/or more exclusive cars, only to come back full circle with another NSX. Then there are the others who have bypassed that mistake and just started modding their beloved NSX to become more modern. The NSX just makes sense and does not bring as many headaches like the other cars that have the same appeal/exclusivity.

I'd like to respond to this thread having followed for a while.

There really is no way that an NSX, designed and executed in the late 1980s, first sold in 1991, can be considered a top-performing car in 2011.

Hell, if that was the case, a Model T would still be as competitive as a 2011 458 Italia. Cars continue to get better. Time marches on immemorial. It happens and is inexorable. True, maybe Honda could have invested more in keeping the NSX more current, but they didn't.

That said, is that a reason that any NSX is less desirable? No. Is a '70 Boss 302 as fast as today's 2011 Boss 302? No. Is an early 70's Ferrari Dino as fast as a 458? No. Is a '70 Boss 302 less desirable than a 2011? No, not in my opinion. Is a 246GT Dino an incredibly desirable car today? Of course it still is. (Fill in your own example of today's v. yesteryear's performance vehicle.)

They are desirable today not for their raw subjective performance or numbers. But they are for their intangibles: what they represented for their particular time period, whether and how they advanced technology, how they made you feel then and how they make you feel today.

If you don't have an emotional connection to an NSX, then it's not for you. But I'm sure there's a contemporary that today evokes the same emotion, and will continue to do so for you 20 years from now.

So, when it comes to whether our NSX floats your boat today, it's really not based on whether it can lap faster than a Nissan GTR. It's about whether it was world class and advanced autodom when it was in its prime and how you felt about it then and feel about it now.

If my argument doesn't hold up, then there's no reason to respect a Ferrari 275 LM, a Ferrari GTO, or even a Shelby Daytona coupe considering that even some of today's plebian performance sedans can lap faster than them.

My $.02.

Back