• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

STMPO Billet Alum Motor Mounts for the NSX - "The last motor mount you will ever buy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: STMPO Billet Alum Motor Mounts for the NSX - "The last motor mount you will ever

To further hijack the thread: I'm a bit surprised nobody has taken a casting of the voids in the rubber bushings of the existing engine mounts and to make inserts like the Energy Suspension ones. The capital investment and part price is relatively low compared to the options out there now.

For engine mounts that aren't broken, they work great. However, inserts are not bandaids for ones that are broken already.

Re: STMPO Billet Alum Motor Mounts for the NSX - "The last motor mount you will ever

To further hijack the thread: I'm a bit surprised nobody has taken a casting of the voids in the rubber bushings of the existing engine mounts and to make inserts like the Energy Suspension ones. The capital investment and part price is relatively low compared to the options out there now.

For engine mounts that aren't broken, they work great. However, inserts are not Band-Aids for ones that are broken already.

Well...

The oem mount does not have a void to mold.. They have different shaped rubber housings on all mounts… with different shaped aluminum sleeves.

attachment.php

attachment.php

There was quite a bit of engineering involved as well... oem comfort and reliability needed to be stress tested.

Design changes had to be implemented... here is the front mount and you can see how we made the housing wider that the oem mount. This was done as a result of testing the strengths of the housing material and bushing style.

attachment.php

on the driver side mount (above the transmission)... You can see that the sleeve is much longer than the mount itself.
After stress test analysis… We found that a change in the aluminum sleeve retained the factory specs greater than a larger housing.

attachment.php

When considering your motor mount options. If a car owner tried to "mix their own rubber in a bowl" mount style... Using the above pic as a reference, you can see that the mount and sleeve would be able to teeter totter back and forth because of the discrepancies in size... furthermore, movement is being made in the same direction load is being placed on the mount... it could result in an aftermarket RSTB appearing to "rub on the vacuum lines" causing holes in the lines.

But rubber can only wear on movement back and forth in contact with metal. Let’s just say rubber is found in contact with metal all over most cars.. it just doesn’t see compliance with that metal.

This is only one reason as to why recommend never mixing rubber in a bowl when you haven’t calculated the loads

There has also been mention of FXMD loosing transmissions to solid mounts. They lost transmissions to solid mounts not stress tested.

The driving done was directed at attempting and successfully achieving track records for the fastest lap ever on those tracks. Car parts don’t last long when attempting all time track records...

I know this first hand as we built the cage in the car. I took this picture and they still had an aftermarket mount on top of the transmission.

attachment.php

The mount is Powder coated... which needs to have all rubber removed in order to accomplished… so be assured it’s not an oem mount.
They lost many motors and many parts all over the car... the price you pay to raise the bar… not a price you pay because you had the wrong part on your car,

Regards

Attachments

• fxmd mount.jpg
    fxmd mount.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,120
Thanks for inquiring...

Honestly.. with the bushing sizes of all 3 mounts different.. the dollar amount spent on injection molds would cost more..

and the fact we would have to acquire oem housings in order to sell them. The oem rubber needs to be machined out.

Lastly.. oem housing cast aluminum. We would have to stress test them since we aren’t using Hondas bushing style.

Regards

Didn't realize they were all different sizes...that's enough reason right there.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Well...

The oem mount does not have a void to mold.. They have different shaped rubber housings on all mounts… with different shaped aluminum sleeves.

attachment.php

attachment.php

There was quite a bit of engineering involved as well... oem comfort and reliability needed to be stress tested.

The STMPO mounts are certainly well engineered--no doubt.

However, that's not to say something like this:

http://www.energysuspension.com/products/Motor-Mount-Inserts.html

...would not be a cost effective modification to engine mounts that are OK to begin with to give a slightly firmer "feel". As a system, the front and rear engine mounts don't see a torsional load like the drivers side mount so inserts would probably work well enough. As the rotation of the engine in the engine bay is reduced by the front and rear mounts, the drivers side mount would see less torsional loading and a more robustly encapsulated insert may be suitable. It would definitely take some experimentation to find the right durometer polyurethane.

Well...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Design changes had to be implemented... here is the front mount and you can see how we made the housing wider that the oem mount. This was done as a result of testing the strengths of the housing material and bushing style.

attachment.php

on the driver side mount (above the transmission)... You can see that the sleeve is much longer than the mount itself.
After stress test analysis… We found that a change in the aluminum sleeve retained the factory specs greater than a larger housing.

attachment.php

When considering your motor mount options. If a car owner tried to "mix their own rubber in a bowl" mount style... Using the above pic as a reference, you can see that the mount and sleeve would be able to teeter totter back and forth because of the discrepancies in size... furthermore, movement is being made in the same direction load is being placed on the mount... it could result in an aftermarket RSTB appearing to "rub on the vacuum lines" causing holes in the lines.

But rubber can only wear on movement back and forth in contact with metal. Let’s just say rubber is found in contact with metal all over most cars.. it just doesn’t see compliance with that metal.

This is only one reason as to why recommend never mixing rubber in a bowl when you haven’t calculated the loads

There has also been mention of FXMD loosing transmissions to solid mounts. They lost transmissions to solid mounts not stress tested.

The driving done was directed at attempting and successfully achieving track records for the fastest lap ever on those tracks. Car parts don’t last long when attempting all time track records...

I know this first hand as we built the cage in the car. I took this picture and they still had an aftermarket mount on top of the transmission.

attachment.php

The mount is Powder coated... which needs to have all rubber removed in order to accomplished… so be assured it’s not an oem mount.
They lost many motors and many parts all over the car... the price you pay to raise the bar… not a price you pay because you had the wrong part on your car,

Regards

...would not be a cost effective modification to engine mounts that are OK to begin with to give a slightly firmer "feel". As a system, the front and rear engine mounts don't see a torsional load like the drivers side mount so inserts would probably work well enough. As the rotation of the engine in the engine bay is reduced by the front and rear mounts, the drivers side mount would see less torsional loading and a more robustly encapsulated insert may be suitable. It would definitely take some experimentation to find the right durometer polyurethane.

Thanks for the compliment on our mounts...

I took the time to explain why just using energy suspension insaerts wont work in the above post.

I would never go through the trouble i did to make these if a bushing of any type would work.

Thanks for the inquiring and idea though.. We looked into every available option before we started making these..

Just had Ross's transmission mount installed on my car when I swapped out the transmission and clutch. (Sorry I did not get a chance to take pictures).

It is a beautiful piece that is as well constructed as it is pretty.

My install guy was also impressed by the build quality of the piece.

If your on the fence with these.. just an fyi...

Price increases to 425.00 a mount on Wednesday.

Regards,

Good job ross , another nice option to have

FYI, Energy Suspension doesn't offer any products/solutions for the NSX... just saying. Feel free to run a search on their 76 page catalog.

FYI, Energy Suspension doesn't offer any products/solutions for the NSX... just saying. Feel free to run a search on their 76 page catalog.

FWIW - Everyone can look anywhere they want. we checked them all. ‘Whatever you want to call what sos did’ is the only available option for the NSX

If you taike mixing your own rubber which doesn’t fit the bushing since the inserted sleeves are longer and welding the mount solid out of the equation

Sorry this isn’t the cheapest option out the gate.. it pays for itself with extra money in your pocket year 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 11 well... you get the point

and remember - Well over 1000.00 for a set of three stock mounts

as previously discussed.. your mounts break more often than you think, especially if you drive your car hard.

I never took my car in to get the mounts changed.. it was always during a service that I received a phone call that went a little like this

NSX service tech - used to be the best in the business - "hey Ross... when we took the clutch out.. we noticed that you had 2 broken motor mounts..."

Ross - " DAM NSX service tech - used to be the best in the business.... how much are they..."

NSX service tech - used to be the best in the business - "they are 300.00 per mount but I won’t charge you labor"

Ross - " But NSX service tech - used to be the best in the business .. I’m already at 2400 on this.. that puts me over 3k.. this is ridiculous ... its a service on a car man.. not a car.

How bad are they... can we reuse them a lil longer?"

NSX service tech - used to be the best in the business - " are you asking me to reinstall broken motor mounts in the car? because that doesn’t sound like..."

Ross - {cuts off NSX service tech - who used to be the best in the business in the middle of his sentence}

"ok dood.. I get it... install new f-ing mounts in the f-ing car.. just don’t call me with something else that needs to be replaced unless it will dramatically ruin my ride or kill me... simply write it on the f-ing invoice with a smiley drawing"

I came in for tb/wp and preventive maintenance... over 3 k is retarded"

Knowing what i know now.. and how important mounts are.. Im glad I paid for them. If this didn’t happen to me... I probably never would have tackled this.. but in the end.. we killed it on a seriously phenomenal part now available for your NSX.. which I would have bought the first time in a heartbeat!

Regards

Last edited:

I guess I should officially type this… As mentioned before... On Wednesday, February !st.. the price per mount is now $425.00

Pchristie is the only member who can acquire a set at the 300.00 per mount since we haven’t been able to connect on the phone but the initial interest was made before Feb 1. I’ll edit this thread and remove this sentence after we speak Pat.

Thanks again to everyone who purchased a mount or set. Almost everyone who has contacted us has mentioned they intend to write an install or user feedback on prime.

The communication from those members was beyond positive. I look forward to write ups, reviews, and pics… consider this my my ‘Thank
You’ ahead of time.

If you want to write the review on this thread as L_RAO has.. that would be great. If you would rather start a different thread... please do.

This part is special.. any machinist would turn down production based on the amount of time and cost it would take after finding out the amount of NSX’s exist. But as stated by L_RAO.. even the mechanic installing it on his car.. stopped and said WOW…

When we have a decent inventory of mounts.. you will see them on our website www.stmpo.com

Until them please inquire via phone, pm, or email.

Happy Motoring

Yes- PLEASE post reviews & feedback.

I have previously installed 4 new sport mounts on my (non-tracked) 1991 with the aim of reducing vibration in the cabin, but they actually increased the vibrations. :eek: I then had to return them and pay postage & restock fees, as well as labour to install & remove these mounts. All-in-all an expensive and disappointing experience. It is really my fault for not researching more before purchase I suppose.

ANYWAY: I am interested to see if these STMPO mounts to reduce vibrations in the cabin for stock or near-stock street-ed NSXs, but want to hear some feedback from other owners before ordering them.

I put all three of the STMPO mounts on my car last week. They are very well made and are so nice looking it's a shame to hide them under the engine. Their fitment was perfect and I haven't noticed any additional vibration in the cab. Thanks Ross for making these awesome parts. Here are a few pics of my install.

I put all three of the STMPO mounts on my car last week. They are very well made and are so nice looking it's a shame to hide them under the engine. Their fitment was perfect and I haven't noticed any additional vibration in the cab. Thanks Ross for making these awesome parts. Here are a few pics of my install.

Thanks man... for the kind words and the pics.

also that phone call you made the other week.. I dont believe your avatar slogan now man.. very responsible and adult.

Yes- PLEASE post reviews & feedback.

I have previously installed 4 new sport mounts on my (non-tracked) 1991 with the aim of reducing vibration in the cabin, but they actually increased the vibrations. :eek: I then had to return them and pay postage & restock fees, as well as labour to install & remove these mounts. All-in-all an expensive and disappointing experience. It is really my fault for not researching more before purchase I suppose.

ANYWAY: I am interested to see if these STMPO mounts to reduce vibrations in the cabin for stock or near-stock street-ed NSXs, but want to hear some feedback from other owners before ordering them.

I know that only one review has made it to prime...

I need to reiterate a fact though.. If your on the fence with these... you shouldnt be. Just like autowaves Ati dampner.. this is a part that we are lucky to have someone loose money to bring to the community. This is the real deal and mounts of this nature have been both track and street proven to last a lifetime. Hasport or Innovant mounts would be two good companies to research for the unknowledgeable in this area. You will see the construstion to meet or beat the quality of the two.

It took two years to finish these.. one major reason was the testing process .. STMPO mounts and our bushing were tested on a software program with a very short list of user names. They will act like oem mounts for vibration and noise dampening. they will hold your motor tighter and forever at the same time.

I can't find these on your site.. probably layer six error. I'd like to buy the rear transmission mount. How do I go about doing so?

I can't find these on your site.. probably layer six error. I'd like to buy the rear transmission mount. How do I go about doing so?

Give me a call this evening.. 480-363-9431

And you have a 25.00 gift card credit from starting this

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126252&highlight=stmpo+prizes

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1210185&postcount=2

it should be expired.. but why let a good action like that go to waste

Regards

please post any honest thoughts about the product you have purchased from us.. were almost done with a large batch and other NSX owners want to hear from you guys before they place an order.

Regards

please post any honest thoughts about the product you have purchased from us.. were almost done with a large batch and other NSX owners want to hear from you guys before they place an order.

Regards

I've only got about 40 miles on mine since putting the engine back in, but, I have to say that there was not a lot of extra vibration as opposed to the stock mounts. I have all 3 STMPO mounts btw. The fit and finish was spot on. So far the best part is the piece of mind that I won't have to worry about broken mounts now.

The one thing that was off was the shirt that he sent with my order was a medium and not a large.:wink: If I notice anything else good/bad as time goes on I will post it up. I would have to say so far that they were worth the purchase.

..... were almost done with a large batch and other NSX owners want to hear from you guys before they place an order.

Regards

Hey ross,

got a rough ETA on when this batch will be ready?

Regards

i was going to wait until i had installed my new Messiah exhaust and oil catch can before posting here but because some of you seemed confused as to whether you should buy these impressive parts i thought i would say something to help you stop getting more splinters stuck up your arses.
i just installed the three mounts drove the car home and thought that feels smoother and more precise there was no more vibration than normal in fact it felt like less, also my old mounts were still in good shape no sign of falling apart.
So if you want a quality piece of kit holding your pride and joys engine in-place stop procrastinating and buy these.

What is the benefit of buying your mounts over Innovative Mounts that are less than half the price

Innovative would be the way to go for sure.. just dont be foolish.. get the softest compound

you can buy direct

http://www.innovativemounts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nsx

or even better... have some other company with a 20% off vendor account making 80 bucks at retail undercut the manufacture by 40bucks while shipping for free -20 more in profit)

http://www.swapshopracing.com/contents/en-us/p5061_Innovative_Mounts_NSX.html

And definitely before mixing your own rubber and definitely before the SOS ugh... i dont know what to call SOS's style..i havent seen a single car mount with small rubber pieces sandwiched inside of a stock housing with additional sleeves to hold them...

note - This 20 dollar profit made above on an order placed under msrp is why I’m glad i don’t invest in stocking car parts anymore.. we’re not interested in offering them as the cost to invest in the inventory doesn’t justify itself

there are 10 sets of extremely rare billet aluminum motor mounts made... if you have a set.. realize this:)

I had the pleasure of working with a guy smart enough to help me make these for the nsx...we did it... they came out bad ass.. I’ve moved on.

Our chassis bars and other parts on www.stmpo.com is all we will stock at this point.

Thanks for the post... I'd start a new thread about them... I think gt-spec received like a 15k order on a post about chassis bars... and that was before anyone knew what they were made of :)

I want a rear mount. Hook me up...

Last edited:

I want a rear mount. Hook me up...

Thank you for the edit...lmao

This aint a bad deal.. I'd use your oem passenger side mount though.. just a thought

http://www.innovativemounts.com/Sear...asp?Search=nsx

the first 10 sets flew off the shelf... there are no more. Arnold Senna said "will and skill but your will must be greater... "

no more willingness ...lol

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back