• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Stock 05 wheels or upgrade?

Keep or ditch the OEM wheels?

• Total voters
I love those Advans, but man they are a rip off. You pay a pile for the wheels, then you have to buy center gaps.. and then lug nuts. Seriously??

I want them, but I think the price is ridiculous.

I would go with the RZ's in gunmetal. The gunmetal OEM's would look nice too. I'd go with a darker wheel. IMO, silver wheel on a silver car looks blaaaaaaah.

Two new colors on RSII's (and no others). The hyper black looks like the way to go. It's actually not black at all. I don't know, I am still thinking perhaps 17/17. The 18 adds 4 pounds to each wheel when you also take into account the bigger tire. That's a lot of weight and it is in the absolute WORST place... The outer most edge of an unsprung rotating mass. Probably equivalent to adding 20 pounds of normal mass at a MINIMUM. I'm not sold that staggered looks better. My OEM's aren't staggered, they are 17/17 and look fine... Some staggered cars look a little odd to my eye. Perhaps I am not seeing it. You certainly get more empty space around your rotor making them look smaller.

RSII new colors:

de016db9.jpg

I love those Advans, but man they are a rip off. You pay a pile for the wheels, then you have to buy center gaps.. and then lug nuts. Seriously??

I want them, but I think the price is ridiculous.

Dave it is not that expensive compared to other quality wheels. In fact I'd say on the cheap side. This is a well-designed wheel. First of all, the spokes are many and thin, that makes the wheel strong, and light. It is super "open", allowing good cooling for the brakes (less heat retention by the wheel), and really shows off quality brakes. It's one of the lightest wheels I have seen. Lighter than NSX-R wheels in the same size. It's very concave, which allows for good brake caliper clearance. Performance designed. The fact that it looks good is a plus, not the main selling point to me. It's rare to get this combination of looks and performance at this price point.

I think Advan really has their shit together. They don't waste money on unnecessary blingy and costly stuff, they do what it takes to make a quality wheel. Personally I dislike (always have) wheels with fat lips, chrome, rivets, etc. Way back when no one was doing concave and everyone wanted a fat lip I had posted how I didn't like that trend. Now "concave" is starting to go the poser way, big compromises in performance are being made to get more concave. To me function should always dictate style.

Last edited:
Go 17/18 for aftermarket. You will regret going with 17/17.

You have the link of the pic?

Why will I regret it... I am not sure it is that visible a difference. I got the image off the 370Z forums.

How about the Work Emothion CR? They look nice and are a great price. I don't know anything about their weight or BBK fitment.

don't like the unevenly spaced spokes similar to the RZ but it's even worse as the spokes don't extend to the edge. You may as well have a lip if you are going to give up the extra length.

RSII in hyper black it is for me if I change OEM's. Besides I don't want synth yelling at me since he called it from the beginning. LOL. He will yell at me anyway when I go 17/17 in conservative widths.

Last edited:
I was going to post this on the RSII thread, but didn't want to further clutter it up....

The fact that the RSII has a slightly different spoke design, double check the BBK clearance.

Also- I know you're trying to get as light weight as possible, but there should be a compromise. Sure, maybe 17/17 is more ideal for the track and lighter, but unless this will be a track-only setup, balance performance with looks! You want function + form.

I was going to post this on the RSII thread, but didn't want to further clutter it up....

The fact that the RSII has a slightly different spoke design, double check the BBK clearance.

Also- I know you're trying to get as light weight as possible, but there should be a compromise. Sure, maybe 17/17 is more ideal for the track and lighter, but unless this will be a track-only setup, balance performance with looks! You want function + form.

Synth you really think 17/17 is uglier than 17/18? My OEM's are 17/17 and they look just fine... Sometimes I think staggered looks weird... But I have never seen it in person.

And I think there are better tire choices too, no?

Last edited:
Dave it is not that expensive compared to other quality wheels. In fact I'd say on the cheap side. This is a well-designed wheel. First of all, the spokes are many and thin, that makes the wheel strong, and light. It is super "open", allowing good cooling for the brakes (less heat retention by the wheel), and really shows off quality brakes. It's one of the lightest wheels I have seen. Lighter than NSX-R wheels in the same size. It's very concave, which allows for good brake caliper clearance. Performance designed. The fact that it looks good is a plus, not the main selling point to me. It's rare to get this combination of looks and performance at this price point.

I think Advan really has their shit together. They don't waste money on unnecessary blingy and costly stuff, they do what it takes to make a quality wheel. Personally I dislike (always have) wheels with fat lips, chrome, rivets, etc. Way back when no one was doing concave and everyone wanted a fat lip I had posted how I didn't like that trend. Now "concave" is starting to go the poser way, big compromises in performance are being made to get more concave. To me function should always dictate style.

Well more expensive wheels like HRE are a total rip off also and certainly not better quality than the ADVAN from what I can see.

I say you get the advans.. then when you change your mind in 3 months and want something else, I will take them off your hand for 1/2 price. :)

Synth you really think 17/17 is uglier than 17/18? My OEM's are 17/17 and they look just fine... Sometimes I think staggered looks weird... But I have never seen it in person.

And I think there are better tire choices too, no?

I think OEM 17/17 looks kinda OK because we're just used to that look. Once you throw on aftermarket wheels, then it just SCREAMS "off." I have yet to see a 17/17 setup where I didn't automatically think "wow, the rear wheel looks smaller then the front."

Well more expensive wheels like HRE are a total rip off also and certainly not better quality than the ADVAN from what I can see.

They're not. Unless you are going to a super exotic material like magnesium or carbon, there's no reason why ANY wheel should cost as much as some of these crazy big wheels are selling for. I'm not into cheap crappy wheels but you can definitely spend a lot and not get a lot, just like in home AV. lol

RSII really is a kick ass wheel. To me the spoke design is truly proper for lightness, strength, and brake clearance. I love the BC forged but those concaves are not BBK friendly and the big sizes tells me they want more of the bling market than the performance market and I don't blame them.

I think OEM 17/17 looks kinda OK because we're just used to that look. Once you throw on aftermarket wheels, then it just SCREAMS "off." I have yet to see a 17/17 setup where I didn't automatically think "wow, the rear wheel looks smaller then the front."

Can you show me an example? Mr. Style guru?

I used to track my NSX a lot, every single set of track wheels was a 17/18 setup.

There used to be better selection of the rear tires with the 18" wheels IIRC.

17/17 looks weird with aftermarket wheels IMHO.

I used to track my NSX a lot, every single set of track wheels was a 17/18 setup.

There used to be better selection of the rear tires with the 18" wheels IIRC.

17/17 looks weird with aftermarket wheels IMHO.

That tire selection is important, I need to check but aren't you winding up with 265 or 275? Which means that I would have to tune out more understeer. I know I am being picky but might as well discuss all the negatives and positives now. More weight, worse ride, more rolling resistance, worse wet traction. Where is the positive? Okay, slightly better looks. Possibly a better selection of tires?? Is there any Positive from a performance standpoint? You are the track rat, so I am asking you.

That tire selection is important, I need to check but aren't you winding up with 265 or 275? Which means that I would have to tune out more understeer. I know I am being picky but might as well discuss all the negatives and positives now. More weight, worse ride, more rolling resistance, worse wet traction. Where is the positive? Okay, slightly better looks. Possibly a better selection of tires?? Is there any Positive from a performance standpoint? You are the track rat, so I am asking you.

Given that your car has a CTSC, having a wider tires on the rear (265/275) should help in putting the power down on corner exit better than a 255 tire.

Rotational mass should not be an issue in either acceleration or braking on your car due to the CTSC/BBK setup that you have on your car.

Also given that the spring rate on your car is significantly higher on the front relative to the rears you will probably feel a harsher ride due to the front wheel/tires more than with the rears.

NSXDreamer2 has been running a Stoptech BBK setup on his NSX for a while, IIRC he is running 235 front tires for the track so it might be worthwhile to check with him to find out what kind of setup he is using on his NSX. I don't remember if he ended up going the DF front wide fenders on his car.

Ok I've really done some searching and the tire selection at 18 for the rear does seem good. Not too good for front 18's, but good for rear 18's. Also the weight of the standard RS (nevermind the RSII) in 18" is *LESS* than my OEM 17" wheel. So I am saving weight anyway, and the tire weights on the star spec Z1 is listed as the same for a 265/35/18 as it is for a 255/40/17. This is all good news.

So I guess synth wins...

Guys thanks for all the input, really. I probably would have gone 17/17, so that is why I appreciate this forum.

Yeah. I don't want 17/17 dave so please get 17/18 :biggrin:

You got it buddy, just for you... LOL

NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW AN ALTERNATIVE TO ADVAN CENTER CAPS for $250? This is a total rip-off.

Back