• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock Gen 2 versus Modded (forced induction) Gen 1

It was suppose to happen this Feb but unfortunately, as the organizer, I had some unexpected scheduling conflicts that threw a monkey wrench in the plans. Might be a blessing in disguise because this gives one of the NC1 guys the opportunity to perhaps drop by!

Thunderhill 3-mile doesn't have car-eating walls or tight sound controls, so would be an obvious choice. The best test would be with a driver that had similar (whether a lot or zero) track time in each car, but would still be fun.

T-Hill and Buttonwillow are the best choices at the moment. The challenge is finding an Open Test day. It's usually on a weekday.

T-Hill because of all the reasons you mentioned.

BW because of all of those, but also because there is so much comparable data benchmarks from various Time Attacks that have been held there over the years. It's also halfway for the SoCal attendees.

Regardless of location, I hope we can make it work. Having Billy's time to help us tune our cars would be time very well spent.

what a great day that would be to make it a club event.....aka as many owners invited as possible.....food truck with chaffing dishes...ect....:biggrin:

what a great day that would be to make it a club event.....aka as many owners invited as possible.....food truck with chaffing dishes...ect....:biggrin:
Sorry, not to take this thread OT but i'm struggling with the notion of making it a big public event. The original goal of the event was to make it worthwhile for Billy to fly out and provide professional feedback so we can better tune our NSXs. Me especially, i've reached the limits of my tuning capabilities because i'm not that good of a driver, but I know i've still got at least 30% of performance left on the table that only someone like Billy, who's been involved with testing/tuning/developing modern cars like the Ford GT, Focus RS, Mustang 350/350R, and countless racecars can draw out.

We reckon about 5 NSXs in one day would optimal to "tune" on that given day. I'll be busy running around and wrenching, measuring, and taking notes that I won't be able to host anyone else really. We might also have @Zygrene document the event via his youtube channel.

If someone would like to step up and host the club side of things I can run it by Billy. As long as it won't be a distraction, I think it would be super fun.

Last edited:
Sorry, not to take this thread OT but i'm struggling with the notion of making it a big public event. The original goal of the event was to make it worthwhile for Billy to fly out and provide professional feedback so we can better tune our NSXs. Me especially, i've reached the limits of my tuning capabilities because i'm not that good of a driver, but I know i've still got at least 30% of performance left on the table that only someone like Billy, who's been involved with testing/tuning/developing modern cars like the Ford GT, Focus RS, Mustang 350/350R, and countless racecars can draw out.

We reckon about 5 NSXs in one day would optimal to "tune" on that given day. I'll be busy running around and wrenching, measuring, and taking notes that I won't be able to host anyone else really. We might also have @Zygrene document the event via his youtube channel.

If someone would like to step up and host the club side of things I can run it by Billy. As long as it won't be a distraction, I think it would be super fun.

exactly , you need another interested party to handle the social aspects.......I hope it comes together.

I would definitely be interested in filming the event, depending on date/location. Wouldn't mind taking a day off work.

Depending on the event organizer and their flexibility on run groups and sessions, I figure only 5 people could get a worthwhile "coaching"/setup development out of a day (without a proper pit crew and support group to make changes quickly). Also the event organizer would dictate how many cars I could reasonably run through to do 3-4 laps per car to get the most out of it with my plug and play motec data system that I can swap from car to car quickly.

Over 2 days, I think about 10 people max would get the most out of development and coaching, while (depending on the organizer) I could run though probably 2-3 cars per 25 minute session for lap times.

If at Sonoma, I would like to be in attendance.

I have yet been to an nsxpo and this may seem off topic, but if everyone hits the track at the event, why don't they record track times? Why drive around the track without a timer?It leaves these endless topics of who is faster. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me? I dunno, maybe I am wrong. But I think if I visit a vendor/car show specific to my cars model with a track opportunity. I would want to see where I should spend my money and what it gets me. Instead of posting internet sensations here. But I guess leveling the playing field is cool too though... I think nsxpo should translate into a track showdown so we can physically see what parts show results, instead of saying it's shiney and cool and I was the first one to buy it....

NSXPO is about drivers taking their car on track in a relatively slow and safe manner. Most of which have very little to no track experience. It's not a timed competition, or really offers much in depth of education for learning to push the limit or learn how to become a better driver.

Last edited:
If you've been to an NSXPO event, you'll know it's really not the venue to go head to head in a time attack battle with your fellow NSX'er(s)... though i'm sure some secretly do with personal timers spurred on by dinner time bets.

Basically what Billy said

Okay guys, thanks for the explaination. I learn daily here. Thank you for the replys.

But I still want to see some nsx's old and new throw down.... I think it is long overdue.:biggrin: I think Ryu's showdown with Billy as a driver is an excellent idea. Our old girls need real life numbers....

Last edited:
In a new car and/or new track, I frequently don't bother with timing laps. For me, it takes a LONG time (several track days) to build up a good line around the track in a given car. Along the way, you can always "push it" and shave a few seconds. But driving a bad line at 10/10ths is just hard on the equipment and your sphincter. Better to drive at 8/10ths as you try to improve you line and braking, etc. Only when I think I "know the line," will I start looking at lap times.

YMMV. Some people are good enough drivers that they can VERY quickly drive any car to its limits. That's just not me.

In a new car and/or new track, I frequently don't bother with timing laps. For me, it takes a LONG time (several track days) to build up a good line around the track in a given car. Along the way, you can always "push it" and shave a few seconds. But driving a bad line at 10/10ths is just hard on the equipment and your sphincter. Better to drive at 8/10ths as you try to improve you line and braking, etc. Only when I think I "know the line," will I start looking at lap times.

YMMV. Some people are good enough drivers that they can VERY quickly drive any car to its limits. That's just not me.
It's certainly not me either. What I feel is an important quality in every sportscars is the ability to drive the car fast EASILY. This is where guys like me can really benefit.

However, in recent years i've diverged from this mindset. Self preservation has pushed me over to slower but fun setups. Hence, why I don't want a lot of aero to gain speed. I want aero to gain stability and control.

These two points have been so subjective to communicate but I feel are quite important in sportscars.

Back