• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stroker Club

serialNSXer: 3.8L NA
- kip: 3.5L FI
- igor 3.5L FI
- Ponyboy: 3.6L NA
- Spooler: 3.3L NA
- Jon Martin: 3.8L NA
- Oakley dude: 3.8L NA
- bchang99: 3.8L NA
- Frank C: 3.8L NA
- Brandonson: 3.5L FI
- JeffShoots: 3.5L NA/FI
- SMLYDOC: 3.8L NA
- NSXDreamer2 - 3.3L NA
- Juice - 3.5L FI
- shooze 3.8L NA
- Jorligan 3.5L FI
- Hugh 3.5L FI
- saint2709

Welcome to the "The Club!" :)

Don't forget XToy on the list. He's got a Jon Martin 3.8L.

I have a few questions. I know i've read the details but still a bit unclear.

For the 3.6-3.8L builds... is a new crankshaft needed? Can you use the stock crank with modifications? (i'm guessing no)

For the 3.5L is the stroke the same as stock but the bore/pistons are larger?

Which heads are required for which build? I'm trying to weight the pros/cons of a 3.5L vs. 3.6L vs. 3.8L. Thanks for any help!

Clearancing.

Clearancing is the answer in one word. In a couple of words – since the connecting rods travel around a larger circle with the 88mm crankshaft, they start to hit parts of the engine block. To prevent that from happening, you need to file down the block a bit in those areas. Then the rotating parts of the engine have enough clearance to move freely again.

I have a few questions.

and here are a few answers:

Stock 3.0 or 3.2 liter engines: 78mm crankshaft with 90 or 93mm pistons
SoS 3.3 liter engines: 78mm crankshaft with 95mm pistons
Toda 3.4 or 3.5 liter engines: 84mm crankshaft with 92, 93, or 93.5mm pistons
Comptech and SoS 3.5 liter engines: 86mm crankshaft with 93mm pistons
SoS 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 liter engines: 88mm crankshaft with 90, 93, or 95mm pistons

Clearancing is the answer in one word. In a couple of words – since the connecting rods travel around a larger circle with the 88mm crankshaft, they start to hit parts of the engine block. To prevent that from happening, you need to file down the block a bit in those areas. Then the rotating parts of the engine have enough clearance to move freely again.

and here are a few answers:

Stock 3.0 or 3.2 liter engines: 78mm crankshaft with 90 or 93mm pistons
SoS 3.3 liter engines: 78mm crankshaft with 95mm pistons
Toda 3.4 or 3.5 liter engines: 84mm crankshaft with 92, 93, or 93.5mm pistons
Comptech and SoS 3.5 liter engines: 86mm crankshaft with 93mm pistons
SoS 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 liter engines: 88mm crankshaft with 90, 93, or 95mm pistons

see Greenberet's reply #22

RYU-]Don't forget XToy on the list. He's got a Jon Martin 3.8L.

I have a few questions. I know i've read the details but still a bit unclear.

For the 3.6-3.8L builds... is a new crankshaft needed? Can you use the stock crank with modifications? (i'm guessing no)

Answer is No the crankshaft is needed.

For the 3.5L is the stroke the same as stock but the bore/pistons are larger?

That I don't know ask Jon and he can tell you.

I'm trying to weight the pros/cons of a 3.5L vs. 3.6L vs. 3.8L. Thanks for any help!

3.5L if your going to stay FI and 3.6-3.8L if you're NA/ITB's

Which heads are required for which build?
Most of the guys with the 3.0 heads get it ported so they can fit the 3.2 valves on when they get the new valves and springs. The stock motor can go up to 3.4L on stock crank I believe thats what Jon had before the stroker motor was designed and put in.

BTW X-Toy was listed already just under another name on the list because I did not know his Prime name before.

E

Last edited:
serialNSXer: 3.8L NA
- igor 3.5L FI
- X-Toy: 3.8L NA
- NSXDreamer2 - 3.3L NA
- Juice - 3.5L FI
- shooze 3.8L NA
- Jorligan 3.5L FI
- Hugh 3.5L FI
- saint2709

Welcome to the "The Club!" :)

There now the list is updated

You can add me to the list 3.5L 2.9L Whipple SC-IC. This might just put me over the 600RWHP. I was at 525RWHP with my 3.2L setup.

Wow, very elaborate. Thanks! Got it figured out now :tongue:

I suppose it was a stupid question, or that the answer would have been a three page story :wink:

Apologies. It wasn't meant to be offensive just didn't have time to go through the whole process.

List updated...

- serialNSXer: 3.8L NA
- igor 3.5L FI
- Oakley dude: 3.8L NA
- NSXDreamer2 - 3.3L NA
- Juice - 3.5L FI
- shooze 3.8L NA
- Jorligan 3.5L FI
- Hugh 3.5L FI
- saint2709
- ken sampson

List updated...

- igor 3.5L FI
- NSXDreamer2 - 3.3L NA
- Juice - 3.5L FI
- shooze 3.8L NA
- Jorligan 3.5L FI
- Hugh 3.5L FI
- saint2709
- ken sampson

Fixed

List updated...

- igor 3.5L FI
- NSXDreamer2 - 3.3L NA (at SOS and for sale)
- Juice - 3.5L FI
- shooze 3.8L NA
- Jorligan 3.5L FI
- Hugh 3.5L FI
- saint2709
- ken sampson

Fixed

updated: I ran into cooling problem and I had no time to pin point the problem as I had to attend a track day with my buddy who flew over from HK. Chris@SOS is checking the engine throughly to ensure the engine is in top shape. Would really love to put it back on my car, just not feasible financially now.

No problem, if I can get it tuned before Xmas I’ll post some numbers. I also had the intake manifold ported by Wilson manifolds and I’m still using the 2.9L whipple and now have modified my heat exchanger core to flow more efficiently. Boost has been reduced to around 15PSI.

Any update on what was wrong with your car, NSXDreamer2?

thanks for checking, SOS checked the engine and installed new gasket, he gave it the thumb up; by then I'm having a career change and have a baby coming. Just so happened that Chris found a buyer for the engine and I took a loss to sell it to the lucky fellow from Colorado.

I'm at least another year out to take my nsx out to track events and I have driven the nsx less than 10 times in last 4-5 months. I was secretly hoping that I don't hear from my buyer as I don't want to know how he enjoy this engine at the track.

Bump. SoS and Brian Crower both sell 3.5L stroker kits which you can buy and have your local engine builder use. Where do the parts for a 3.8L build come from?

Science of Speed used to sell the parts so maybe they could give you a tip. They used to do 3.8 liters for naturally aspirated applications (I believe based on Jon Martin's design) and 3.5 liters for forced induction. On this web page they still refer to the 3.8 L n/a engines: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/enpp/stroker_engines/.

It would be interesting why they have now gone to 3.5 L for n/a applications as well. Couldn't source the 3.8 L parts at halfway reasonable prices anymore? The 95 mm cylinders turned out to be too weak in the long run, even in n/a applications? Got sick of clearancing the engine block for the 88 mm crankshaft?

Back