• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Subaru going off track. enjoy!

again..sadly some groups succumb to the pressures of money,by oversuscribing,cutting staff..ect.. and can be too easily swayed esp by a fast talking novice who knows what to say to get out on track.

This is total BS. Docjohn, I know this is not your position, that you are merely pointing out what some groups do.

There are no reasons to compromise safety. The best groups do not succumb and run a tight ship. I have been very, very selective with whom I do track days. It's risky enough doing what we do, no reason to add to the risk unnecessarily. 1K2GO's post is a perfect example of why maintaining a high safety standard is a requirement, and even then, there's no guarantee but that's no reason to let up on high standards.

What? Definitely not right.

In NASA South East, North East, Great Lakes and Mid Atlantic they all require pointby's until you're HPDE4, I'm certain NASA AZ would play by the same rules as well.

While NASA may not require point by's from HPDE 1/2 and sometimes 3 there are "passing zones" designated places on track where passing can occur. Typically HPDE group 3 starts out with the same passing zones as 1&2 but will drop them and go to "open track" after a few sessions depending on the group and if there were any questionable instances.

I still feel that making a point by MANDATORY takes away from the learning aspect of how to effectively get negotiate slower traffic which is part of racing and isn't that why we're all there on track? To better out abilities?

This is total BS. Docjohn, I know this is not your position, that you are merely pointing out what some groups do.

There are no reasons to compromise safety. The best groups do not succumb and run a tight ship. I have been very, very selective with whom I do track days. It's risky enough doing what we do, no reason to add to the risk unnecessarily. 1K2GO's post is a perfect example of why maintaining a high safety standard is a requirement, and even then, there's no guarantee but that's no reason to let up on high standards.

I've seen it:frown: and usualy when you get a screwball on track the sieve was too large.....but I am in no way insinuating that the event posted in the vid is like that nor do I know that group,my experience is culled from over 15 years on the east coast going to various de's.The take home for students reading this thread is please notify the stewards of your event if you see rules being broken.

^^Holy crap. that sounds awful.
It was 20+ years ago and it still gives me chills everytime I think of that day at Willow. Being on track at the time of the crash and then being one of the first at the scene has definitely scared me for life. Ever since then I've had little interest in Willow Springs big or small. Shame you SoCal boys don't have the variety of choices we NorCal boys are blessed with.

I have mixed feeling on point by's but I can tell you that if you are in hpde 1,2,3 it's NOT a race, so I don't know why people drive like that! I am out there to get a few hot laps not crash and have a good time.

I have mixed feeling on point by's but I can tell you that if you are in hpde 1,2,3 it's NOT a race, so I don't know why people drive like that! I am out there to get a few hot laps not crash and have a good time.

Agreed. I'm not out for competition either, which is why I only push the car to the limits I'm comfortable with. It's a day off from work, a day on my own without the wife, and a day to enjoy the weather and really open up the car. :)

Different strokes for different folks.

That video was obviously fake. Subaru's have AWD, ABS, TCS, STS, ASR, VCS, ESP, ESC, DSC, ASTC, VDC, VOR, LOC, ILS, and thus is impossible to lose control... Ever.

What an Idiot!!

Maybe he thought he was doing a Rally school and wanted to practice the Scandinavian Flick!:biggrin:

I know you guys aren't too serious about Subaru's being the problem here. As any car can have lift/oversteer situation. WRX's make decent track cars. Yes there are jackwagons that drive them, but there also jackwagons that drive NSX's.

Also anyone who has tracked an NSX knows that they (NSX) can have a wicked lift/oversteer snap. MR's are fairly prone to this, along with fwd's with no weight on the rear axle.

But yeah back on topic. This seems more of an issue with the driver positioning himself wrong and going for a gap/ pass that does not exist. Lets all hope it was a lesson learned, and dealt with as such.

Last edited:
Didn't the OP say that he went off every session? He should have been sent home after 3 times.

Back