• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Summer tires in SoCal winters

As the available tires for stock wheels gets fewer, most of the tires fall into the “summer” category. It would seem that the current crop of summer tires aren’t for use in below freezing temps. Living in SoCal, temps can drop below freezing at night, and since I park my car outside, I’m wondering if exposure to freezing temps will degrade the tires?

I don’t remember the temps being a concern with summer tires, even when I lived in Seattle years ago. The expectation was summer tires would not be worth a darn on snow or ice, but would be ok in cold weather.

If only Michelin Pilots came in 205-15.

I have driven all my summer tires and R compounds in below freezing in NE Pa....as long as roads are dry no issues..

I'm on Falken RT660's this year. I'm in Santa Barbara where it's twisty, damp, and typically in the 50's-60's all winter. I'll report back how it goes...

In the past the Michelin Pilot PSS (now the PS4S) has been quite good in ALL conditions (but it never get below freezing here). That was my favorite all around tire albeit not a ton of outright grip and communication but so good all around. The confidence in the wet is especially brilliant for a summer tire. Too bad you can't get them in our sizes any longer AFAIK

Last edited:
In the past the Michelin Pilot PSS (now the PS4S) has been quite good in ALL conditions (but it never get below freezing here). That was my favorite all around tire albeit not a ton of outright grip and communication but so good all around. The confidence in the wet is especially brilliant for a summer tire. Too bad you can't get them in our sizes any longer AFAIK

But you can get the Conti ECS, which is pretty much the same tire... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hated the Conti DW's I had tbh. Maybe they were just old... but I absolutely hated them. sideway was very soft. compound was odd.. it liked to skip under braking and engage ABS. It was a myriad of things that really made me not like them. I'll try the new Conti Force though..

My concern is more about the freezing temps overnight having an affect on the tire. I seem to have read about the sidewalls especially cracking when subjected to freezing temps. I’m not talking hour on hours of hard freezes, but an hour or 2 of the mid to upper 20s. It is very unlikely I’d drive the car below 40, but since I park outside, I don’t want tires that will go bad over the winter just due to temps.

I’m curious about the Continentals. My neighbors Cayman has them and he loves them. I even consider 17/17 wheels so I can get the all season Michelin’s.

I hated the Conti DW's I had tbh. Maybe they were just old... but I absolutely hated them. sideway was very soft. compound was odd.. it liked to skip under braking and engage ABS. It was a myriad of things that really made me not like them. I'll try the new Conti Force though..

btw.. I had my first ever prime moderator snafu. I replied to your post by editing it accidentally HA!

Back