• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharger acceleration degrading and makes grinding, rattle sounds when it gets ho

Supercharger acceleration degrading and makes grinding, rattle sounds when it gets hot.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Two month ago, I bought 1996 NSX-T with supercharger (supercharger is about 6 years old, about 30k miles on it).
In the morning supercharger work just fine but after drive about an hour at 60 – 70 MPH, suddenly no more acceleration and makes grinding and rattle sounds.
Previous owner said it is normal for supercharger makes grinding and rattle sounds.
<o:p> </o:p>
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Acceleration degrading usually means the belt is slipping - check belt tension.

Whipple CTSC units do tend to rattle at idle. If you're hearing grinding at speed, that's not normal.

Since you recently got the car, I suggest changing the supercharger oil and fill with the correct weight for your blower to see if that help the noises. Whipple units call for synthetic 10W40. The autorotor and lysholm units may call for a different weight.

Last edited:
you are probably just use to it to be honest. I can completely relate. Whipple sc, and after a long drive sometimes it does sound like a grinding sound/rattle when it is warmer out. This is completely normal. If you rev it above id say 1200 the sound of rattle, grind should be gone. As for slipping, my belt is good but my dyno showed max boost till 7k rpm them it dropped to 5 psi from 7.2 to 8 rpm. As to your oppinion that it doesn't go, it think it does just really graduadly. This is why I am hooking up an a/f and boost gauge cause sometimes it feels like it breaks your neck, other times I will be at 4k on an onramp turn then gun it and it doesn't even feel like it is boosting. The a/f is to make sure the fuel is good since i am personally on the line according to my tuner but that was via sniffer test so any lower points are good points for me. The boost is to monitor like you said sometimes it doesn't feel like it is boosting.

I had a roots type supercharger on my last car which also rattled at idle. The problem ended up being the coupler that joins the input shaft with the lobes - it gets loose over time. I replaced it with an aftermarket part and the noise went away.

I'm not sure if a similar part exists for the Comptech s/c but it would be worth chedking out.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
BBSC's sounds like birds chirping in the engine compartment. Normal but irritating after a little bit of time. Always thinking that something is rubbing or isn't oiled/greased properly and the components are about to come apart. Supercharger doesn't come apart but the rest of the engine will.:frown:

BBSC's sounds like birds chirping in the engine compartment. Normal but irritating after a little bit of time. Always thinking that something is rubbing or isn't oiled/greased properly and the components are about to come apart. Supercharger doesn't come apart but the rest of the engine will.:frown:

Party foul. SS1 box was the villain.

:rolleyes: it's only been 9 years +/-.

In other exciting news, did you hear that the US put a man on the moon?!?! WOW!!

Back