• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharging a new car

TURBO2GO said:
Mercedes CL600 coupe. A V12 with plenty o' torque. Its going to feel different in an NSX.
In that case, I will bet that you will be power hungry, even more so if it is 03+ CL600 with 493hp, 590lb-ft of torque. You will also be thrilled in other areas that NSX has to offer, 6spd, driving position, superb handling, etc.

NA2 NSX is approximately 1270+lbs lighter than CL600. Believe it or not, stock NA2 NSX is actually not that much off in power to weight ratio compare to CL600, with addition of low boost CTSC or 3.8L with supporting mods, you will push it past 400~430hp at crank. Still no torque monster, but with 3200lbs and 400bhp, it will have better power to weight ratio than CL600.

TURBO2GO said:
Have you had personal experience with them caz-nsx?

Yes, I started going there last spring for service. They replaced my cam plugs and did a valve adjustment. There are normally two or three NSXs there at any time. Very rare sight in MA & NH area. If you get a chance to visit make sure to check out Mitch's NSX. After you see the mods done to his car you will have no problem trusting them to bolt on a CTSC.

I would suggest driving it stock; decide what needs to be modified to suite your driving style. Then over the winter have the modifications done and next spring it will seem like you once again have a new car.
Congratulations on your purchase and may you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Bob

Bob Kenney said:
I would suggest driving it stock; decide what needs to be modified to suite your driving style. Then over the winter have the modifications done and next spring it will seem like you once again have a new car.
Congratulations on your purchase and may you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Bob

Ditto!

Dave

DDozier said:
Ditto!

Dave

I am with dave on this,good advise get a feel for her (then make her yours) also having grown up in Boston myself I am well familar with the road perils ,those pot holes will ruin your day bigtime if you catch one wrong. I run 18,19's on my car Iforge rims with pole postions and would not dream of running the back streets ANYWHERE form Boston to Shrewsbuy.
Best Regards Dave

nsxsupra said:
In that case, I will bet that you will be power hungry, even more so if it is 03+ CL600 with 493hp, 590lb-ft of torque. You will also be thrilled in other areas that NSX has to offer, 6spd, driving position, superb handling, etc.

NA2 NSX is approximately 1270+lbs lighter than CL600. Believe it or not, stock NA2 NSX is actually not that much off in power to weight ratio compare to CL600, with addition of low boost CTSC or 3.8L with supporting mods, you will push it past 400~430hp at crank. Still no torque monster, but with 3200lbs and 400bhp, it will have better power to weight ratio than CL600.

Yes! I tell you if the CL was my daily driver, which it would have been were it not for the fact that if it hit 30K in miles I would never sell it, I would have kept it. But it was a second car... a fun weekend car... and for that, it just wasn't fun enough... I am hoping the NSX will be. I am sure it will be. Sure I will miss the torque... I used to let off, let it upshift, then get into it at low RPMs and feel its tremendous "pull"... but now I have a 6 speed, and open top, and an 8000 RPM redline...

I will take the advice here and hold off on any mods until I drive it for a bit. But I am going to do that AIS/filter right away. I see no drawbacks to that.

caz-nsx said:
Yes, I started going there last spring for service. They replaced my cam plugs and did a valve adjustment. There are normally two or three NSXs there at any time. Very rare sight in MA & NH area. If you get a chance to visit make sure to check out Mitch's NSX. After you see the mods done to his car you will have no problem trusting them to bolt on a CTSC.

Thats awesome. Good to know there is a good place close by for this.

paulviriyapan said:
I'd like to throw out another thought. The forced induction guys would know this better than me, BUT if your car only has 3k I would not recommend supercharging it at this point. Acura recommends a 5k mile 'break in' period in order for the piston rings to seat properly and you're not supposed to go over 5k rpm/engage VTEC until the engine has broken in. [The car also came with special (non detergent) oil from the factory and you're not supposed to change it during the break in period.] I think that adding a supercharger [and additional cylinder pressure] will not cause the engine to break in properly. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.

The break in is 600 miles as with any Honda or Acura according to the owners manual.

Chris@SoS said:
It's sort of comparing apples to oranges, but just an FYI: The 3.8L engine produces more torque, more horsepower, and more torque earlier in the power curve than the new Autorotor based Comptech supercharger on even a 3.2L NSX. This was confirmed by recent testing back to back. Both are nice packages, and each is better suited to whatever the customer ultimately is looking for.

Back to the topic of this thread: enjoy the car this summer, then send her off for more power once you confirm it is what you really want. In the meantime, get a 20+ hp bump by installing headers, exhaust, and AIS intake.

take care,
-- Chris

Just curious...can you post the dynos?

Yes, I will do before and after. In fact I plan to do a dyno with the factory headers and exhaust first and see where that lands. Then I will add those and see what they add to a SC car. So I will do full factory, then SC system, then SC and headers/exhaust.

I have a suspicion that the factory system will show a real respectable number. Of course I can be wrong... but I prefer to do the SC first, get a # and then do the rest. I like the factory exhaust sound... if I get good #'s I may just keep it. I did get the downforce AIS and unifliter. We'll have to see if Comptech's recommendation on all these exhaust upgrades is necessary or of they are wanting to sell more parts, and we'll know for sure what the exhaust really adds on a supercharged motor.

Greetings
Congrats on the new purchase. Here are my thoughts on your questions.

1. Drive the car for a while before you modify anything on it. You are talking mods before you even experience the car. What are you looking for in "power"? Lane choice at the next stoplight? Ability to power through curvy mountain roads? You do different things, depending upon your goal. I think that you will be pleasantly surprise about the nimbleness in traffic.

2. Is this car going to be a daily driver? (Mine is). If so, be careful about lowering it. Getting into and out of driveways can sometimes be killer. Parking lot speedbumps -- owners should be drawn and quartered.

3. Would I pay extra -- I bought mine used and did not pay anything extra for the installed options. They were OK to have, but ....

4. Get it shipped to Boston in an enclosed truck. http://www.transportreviews.com/
I used Dependable Auto Shippers. They did everything that they said they would when they said they would for the price they said they would. The car was delivered clean, etc. It cost $1450 from Boston to Silicon Valley in CA. I would not recommend them. Someone there took my 2003 for a short joyride while they had it. I was told it was normal for a car to be driven up to 5 miles while in their possession because of the size of their holding storage areas. They apparently don't know about Google Maps.
Martin

04-17-2006, 10:21 :eek: :confused:

Always check the post DATE.

He has an SC and a nice exhaust now. Look under his user name and click find more posts from him.

He did a great job on his car................a little anal :tongue: about it and he DEFFINATLY NEEDS suspension mods now but...................overall a nice guy with lots of knowledge about modding the NSX :smile:

Oh, and he LOVES Silver (or BLUE:confused: ) NSX's and long walks on the beach...........

Later, Jeff

Oh, and he LOVES Silver (or BLUE:confused: ) NSX's and long walks on the beach...........

Later, Jeff

Thanks Jeff ... LOL I always knew he loved the blue:biggrin: Oh Maximus is gonna hate this:tongue:

Thanks Jeff ... LOL I always knew he loved the blue:biggrin: Oh Maximus is gonna hate this:tongue:

Hmm, I don't see that written anywhere by Dave. There is no way the President of the Silverstone NSX club would dare write that. Please tell me it isn't true!:frown:

LOL... dug up from the grave... let it die man, let it die!!!!

Don't worry Maximus, I would never betray my silverstone brothers. I even have a silverstone interior man! Then that wasn't good enough I got extra silver leather and covered my door inserts and steering wheel with more silverstone. Hell, I'm even wearing silverstone underwear right now. I made it out of the extra leather I had leftover. It's perforated so it ventilates well. :biggrin:

Hell, I'm even wearing silverstone underwear right now. I made it out of the extra leather I had leftover. It's perforated so it ventilates well. :biggrin:

LOL I'll bet it's chaffing like a sonovab%^ch LOL

LOL... dug up from the grave... let it die man, let it die!!!!

Don't worry Maximus, I would never betray my silverstone brothers. I even have a silverstone interior man! Then that wasn't good enough I got extra silver leather and covered my door inserts and steering wheel with more silverstone. Hell, I'm even wearing silverstone underwear right now. I made it out of the extra leather I had leftover. It's perforated so it ventilates well. :biggrin:

Now, that's the Dave I know!

Last edited:
Have the NSX shipped to Boston and try it out first. The NSX is faster than it looks on paper. Mechanics Direct, in Lowell, could install a supercharger for you, no problem. Other than warranty work, I would suggest going to visit Mitch and the gang.

Also a Boston NSX owner and I second the Mechanics Direct recommendation. Mitch knows his stuff.

Remember, before you decide to lower it; in Boston you will need clearance for the snow tires and possibly chains, if you really intend to enjoy it year round!!:biggrin: For what its worth, setting in 6" of snow will certainly make it look lower!!:biggrin:

Car is a bone stock model with 3700 miles. I am thinking of lowering but have two reservations. One, I live in pothole infested Boston... a rougher ride isn't going to do much good here. Two, it seems one of the NSX's hallmarks is the great handling... I am afraid of messing with that.

As I understand in 05 Acura changed to a larger wheel up front but a thinner tire... to get sharper steering... these small changes are engineered, and although every aftermarket manufacturer will say their stuff is better, I wonder how much better it really is. Especially when you take other factors into account besides pure performance #'s.

I do see a fat gap between tire and body that I don't like. But I don't want to be scraping everywhere either. Is the suspension setup you described the way to go? I won't be tracking this car. Its just a weekend nice day fun third car for me.

Superchargers mess up the perfect balance of the NSX...

Sorry I completely disagree in case of the CTSC. If you look at the power curves and dyno sheets on my car it is almost identical in shape to stock, only raised up much higher. The car feels like stock with an extra 2 cylinders, I have said this many times before. If "balance" means "weaker" then yes, your statement would be correct. If anything, because of the car's excellent chassis dynamics I would say the CTSC puts it MORE in balance.

Tsuchiya driving the Comptech NSX:

"I own a type R in Japan. Perhaps I could compare this car to my own car?"

"This is good... The engine revs up endlessly. I'm sold on superchargers!"

"Most stable car I have driven today. I can go full throttle in third and 4th gears. If they sold this car in Japan, I'd buy it".

Remember, before you decide to lower it; in Boston you will need clearance for the snow tires and possibly chains, if you really intend to enjoy it year round!!:biggrin: For what its worth, setting in 6" of snow will certainly make it look lower!!:biggrin:

Yeah thanks... but the car won't come out of its garage for the next 6 months. :frown:

Back