• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharging a new car

Guys I just bought a 2005 NSX with 3700 miles on it. The car is in Texas, I am in Boston. I was thinking of sending the car to Comptech in CA and having them install the supercharger, headers, exhaust and airbox. I figure that they will do this better than any local shop. I want it done right.

It would be more cost effective to send the car to Comptech California from Texas, than to have it come to Boston, then go back and forth again.

But I am hesitant because I have never even driven my NSX, so I am not sure how badly I will want it supercharged. I know that my previous car was faster.

You guys that own NSX's, especially ones that have done the new CTSC, do you think I should have this done right away or am I perhaps going overboard too fast?

Last, would you, if you were to buy my car from me down the road, be willing to pay a few thousand extra for a Comptech supercharged car installed by Comptech or would you prefer to buy something stock? Am I adding or taking value away from an 05 low milage car by supercharging it?

I would wait and drive it for awhile first.

Ive got an 02 that Ive recently supercharged. It is an amazing transformation, but I dont know if it is a "better" car for it. Basically take the power the stock car has, multiple it by 150% everywhere, and that is what you end up with. It is very fast to me. Dyno says 360whp.

That said, what I love the most about it is NOT the supercharger. It is the entire package. With a well done suspension, some chassis mods, wheels AND the supercharger, the entire car just moves up a few notches.

I'd drive it for awhile to see how you like it. No point in changing things that you would otherwise be happy with right?

And if you do decide to get work done, I would not bother sending it to CA. I would drive it over to Larry just north of NYC. He's about the best NSX tech around, CA or otherwise.

Id have loved to buy a car with the supercharger already installed myself.

SPA_S2000 said:
but I dont know if it is a "better" car for it.

What do you mean by that exactly? Is something lost?

Also when you say you would buy a car with the SC on it, how much extra would you be willing to pay? Of course if the price is the same I would take the free SC... but how much would you pay knowing the previous owner spent 15K including the exhuast/headers/airbox and install?

TURBO2GO said:

Also when you say you would buy a car with the SC on it, how much extra would you be willing to pay? Of course if the price is the same I would take the free SC... but how much would you pay knowing the previous owner spent 15K including the exhuast/headers/airbox and install?

No-nothing is lost. I just dont believe that a faster car is a "better" car. It is better for somethings, not for others. If you're not going to use the power, then it really wouldnt be a "better" car.

Would you say that a 996TT is a "better" car than a Carerra C4S? If the answer is unequivocally yes, then you would probably love the CTSC. It is definately faster, but for day to day stuff Id question if it is "better".

Id pay about half of what the mods cost IF I was quite certain that I would have bought them anways AND the stock parts came with the car. Personally, Id not pay for headers in a 97+ NSX,

If you are heading into this looking for a rational exit strategy as justification, then Id probably reconsider.

Last edited:
I do think a 996TT is better than a C4S, definitely. I like the power. :smile:

But I also understand your point. No headers? why not? What about exhaust and airbox? did you do those? they add up in price, are they worth it?

Lots of guys here seem to recommend Taitec... I don't know I feel I should keep it all Comptech than a mish mash of parts...

I will take your advice and drive the car before I do anything, thanks.

Have the NSX shipped to Boston and try it out first. The NSX is faster than it looks on paper. Mechanics Direct, in Lowell, could install a supercharger for you, no problem. Other than warranty work, I would suggest going to visit Mitch and the gang.

TURBO2GO said:
Guys I just bought a 2005 NSX with 3700 miles on it. The car is in Texas, I am in Boston. I was thinking of sending the car to Comptech in CA and having them install the supercharger, headers, exhaust and airbox. I figure that they will do this better than any local shop. I want it done right.

It would be more cost effective to send the car to Comptech California from Texas, than to have it come to Boston, then go back and forth again.

But I am hesitant because I have never even driven my NSX, so I am not sure how badly I will want it supercharged. I know that my previous car was faster.

You guys that own NSX's, especially ones that have done the new CTSC, do you think I should have this done right away or am I perhaps going overboard too fast?

Last, would you, if you were to buy my car from me down the road, be willing to pay a few thousand extra for a Comptech supercharged car installed by Comptech or would you prefer to buy something stock? Am I adding or taking value away from an 05 low milage car by supercharging it?

I would like to offer a different perspective. The NSX does need more power for sure, that is if you like power, it sounds like you do. I would suggest sending the car to Science of Speed in Phoenix and have them to some NA upgrades. I you install I/H/E, do the big boar throttle body, the tuned intake manifold, the SOS chip and the SOS cams and valve springs you will add significant power to you car the natural way. It will be faster than a comptech supercharged in many ways as the power curve is very linear. Chris at SOS might some other suggestion for you as well. I have done all of these and I am tremoundously happy with them, I have driven Comptech Supercharged cars and I prefer my set up much better. This avenue will cost a bit more, not much but keep your car naturally aspirated and with no maintenance. If you really want to go crazy you can do one of the motor ugrades to a 3.3-3.8 liter, but then you talking $5-10K more than the comptech, but much more power.

Is the car lowered? I would also suggest to any NSX owner to go with the Konis Shocks, Comtech adjustable perches and sport springs as well, it will tun a very good handling car into a absolute marvelously handling car.

Any other questions?

I have a modified turbo 300ZX with more horsepower/torque (350/390 @ the rear wheels) and thought I NEEDED more power in my NSX (and someday I might)...but it is a very satisfying overall package as a normally aspirated car
(263/204 @ rear wheels)...precise and quick...not brute force.
TURBO2GO said:

jjeray said:
I you install I/H/E, do the big boar throttle body, the tuned intake manifold, the SOS chip and the SOS cams and valve springs you will add significant power to you car the natural way. It will be faster than a comptech supercharged in many ways as the power curve is very linear. Chris at SOS might some other suggestion for you as well. I have done all of these and I am tremoundously happy with them, I have driven Comptech Supercharged cars and I prefer my set up much better.

Sorry but we totally disagree with this statement. Speaking from experience a tuned CTSC will run all over the basic NA upgrades you mention, and possibly even a 3.8L without sacrificing any reliability. Although it sounds like you have driven higher hp cars it may be beneficial to drive her its OEM stature and build from there. This is especially true if this is your 1st NSX. Congrats on your new purchase!

That's the great part about this forum, you will get many different perspectives and opinions, all of them are valuable. Good luck with your decision and feel free to contact me with any questions.

caz-nsx said:
Have the NSX shipped to Boston and try it out first. The NSX is faster than it looks on paper. Mechanics Direct, in Lowell, could install a supercharger for you, no problem. Other than warranty work, I would suggest going to visit Mitch and the gang.

Have you had personal experience with them caz-nsx?

jjeray said:
Is the car lowered?

Car is a bone stock model with 3700 miles. I am thinking of lowering but have two reservations. One, I live in pothole infested Boston... a rougher ride isn't going to do much good here. Two, it seems one of the NSX's hallmarks is the great handling... I am afraid of messing with that.

As I understand in 05 Acura changed to a larger wheel up front but a thinner tire... to get sharper steering... these small changes are engineered, and although every aftermarket manufacturer will say their stuff is better, I wonder how much better it really is. Especially when you take other factors into account besides pure performance #'s.

I do see a fat gap between tire and body that I don't like. But I don't want to be scraping everywhere either. Is the suspension setup you described the way to go? I won't be tracking this car. Its just a weekend nice day fun third car for me.

TURBO2GO said:
Car is a bone stock model with 3700 miles. I am thinking of lowering but have two reservations. One, I live in pothole infested Boston... a rougher ride isn't going to do much good here. Two, it seems one of the NSX's hallmarks is the great handling... I am afraid of messing with that.

As I understand in 05 Acura changed to a larger wheel up front but a thinner tire... to get sharper steering... these small changes are engineered, and although every aftermarket manufacturer will say their stuff is better, I wonder how much better it really is. Especially when you take other factors into account besides pure performance #'s.

I do see a fat gap between tire and body that I don't like. But I don't want to be scraping everywhere either. Is the suspension setup you described the way to go? I won't be tracking this car. Its just a weekend nice day fun third car for me.

It is not necesarry but very nice upgrade, and yes it is an upgrade. The Koni's are adjustable for ride height and rigidity so you can set them how you want. The stock ride height is too high, you can either lower it with Eibach springs or go the route I suggested, I have had both. The Eibach is a very nice option and probably will work for you, the Koni's with the comptech springs and perches are an awesome upgrade and will make the car a cornering demon. Either way you can't lose.

Factor X Motorsports said:
Sorry but we totally disagree with this statement. Speaking from experience a tuned CTSC will run all over the basic NA upgrades you mention, and possibly even a 3.8L without sacrificing any reliability. Although it sounds like you have driven higher hp cars it may be beneficial to drive her its OEM stature and build from there. This is especially true if this is your 1st NSX. Congrats on your new purchase!

Guarenteed. Ive pulled on every NA NSX ive ever ran with. Not really even close.

The Kid said:
Guarenteed. Ive pulled on every NA NSX ive ever ran with. Not really even close.

It's sort of comparing apples to oranges, but just an FYI: The 3.8L engine produces more torque, more horsepower, and more torque earlier in the power curve than the new Autorotor based Comptech supercharger on even a 3.2L NSX. This was confirmed by recent testing back to back. Both are nice packages, and each is better suited to whatever the customer ultimately is looking for.

Back to the topic of this thread: enjoy the car this summer, then send her off for more power once you confirm it is what you really want. In the meantime, get a 20+ hp bump by installing headers, exhaust, and AIS intake.

take care,
-- Chris

TURBO2GO said:

Everyone says the car needs more power. I ask, more power for what? If you are going to track the car and you'd like to go faster, by all means do it. If you are going to drive it on public streets at reasonable speeds then don't supercharge it - it has plenty of power for everything you need on public streets. Would I prefer to buy your car over another equal car that has not been supercharged? No way - at any price. I would much rather buy a car that has not been modified in any way. I like to buy my cars new so perhaps my opinion doesn't count here.:smile:

I'd like to throw out another thought. The forced induction guys would know this better than me, BUT if your car only has 3k I would not recommend supercharging it at this point. Acura recommends a 5k mile 'break in' period in order for the piston rings to seat properly and you're not supposed to go over 5k rpm/engage VTEC until the engine has broken in. [The car also came with special (non detergent) oil from the factory and you're not supposed to change it during the break in period.] I think that adding a supercharger [and additional cylinder pressure] will not cause the engine to break in properly. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.

Congrtatulations on your purchase.

May I ask what is your previous car? Depending on what you have experienced, you might want to just enjoy the NSX as it is first. If you had something like 996TT, C5 Z06, or other highly modified cars. You will probably miss the feel of acceleration, especially from 60mph~100+mph.

NSX is more than plenty fast for the streets. Having more power does not mean it will perform better at road course, however power is "fun" and "addictive", especially if you are used to having power or have had high power cars. IMHO once you experienced power, it is difficult to settle for less.

Here is difference between, stock vs I/H/E vs CTSC:
http://www.1017.org/nsx/Washday/WashdayRace.htm

If you do decide to get CTSC. Save the hassle and money and have it installed locally or use reputable shops that is not on other side of country. It is a bolt on kit. Most decent mechanics should be able to have it installed properly. Just get exhaust and Cantrell/Downforce AIS+ Uni filter for your NA2 on top of CTSC, header is not a must imho. FYI, there are NA2 CTSC owners who dynoed 360~370rwhp on low boost kit without header, just exhaust. If you got $15~$20k to spend, 3.8L +ITB would be a blast. Don't forget the rumored FX400 turbo kit.
Last, would you, if you were to buy my car from me down the road, be willing to pay a few thousand extra for a Comptech supercharged car installed by Comptech or would you prefer to buy something stock?
Well, I probably would pay $5k~$6k extra at most. That is just me. Most of the CTSC nsxes I have seen listed in marketplace do almost always sell for more than a stock NSX in similar condition, mileage. Afterall it is a highly desirable and reliable item, it does not void factory warranty of your 05 NSX. You do get more money by returning your NSX to stock and sell the CTSC separately if you do need to sell the car one day.

TURBO2GO said:
As I understand in 05 Acura changed to a larger wheel up front but a thinner tire... to get sharper steering...

Actually, they went to the 17 inch front in 02 during the "update" on the exterior styling. I personally think the NSX looks much better with a staggered setup, so the 17/17 on the 02-05 is not as attractive to me.

On the ride issue, if you want it lower, but do not want a ride tradeoff, install Bilsteins on the lower perch using your stock springs. The travel will stay the same, and ride will not be affected much if at any (and although it will not be a huge drop, it will look much better than the OEM ride height).

To answer your other question about the post saying they would not pay extra for Headers: The 97-05 cars (NA2 3.2 liters) have a much better manifold than the NA1 3.0 cars, so the HP gain is not as significant with aftermarket headers, so it's really not the bang for the buck that it is on the 3.0 cars.

Shumdit said:
On the ride issue, if you want it lower, but do not want a ride tradeoff, install Bilsteins on the lower perch using your stock springs.

Can you clarify on this? Bilstein shocks? how is that going to lower ride height if the stocks springs are used?

nsxsupra said:
Congrtatulations on your purchase.

May I ask what is your previous car? Depending on what you have experienced, you might want to just enjoy the NSX as it is first.

Mercedes CL600 coupe. A V12 with plenty o' torque. Its going to feel different in an NSX.

SPA_S2000 said:
Would you say that a 996TT is a "better" car than a Carerra C4S?... It is definately faster, but for day to day stuff Id question if it is "better".

image.php

TURBO2GO said:
Can you clarify on this? Bilstein shocks? how is that going to lower ride height if the stocks springs are used?

I could explain it, but might not be enough of an expert to not confuse you.
The basic premise is that the travel stays the same, so the ride does not stiffen much, if at all. You are just changing where the spring mounts on the body of the dampner.

are you talking about Bilstein shocks? or another part like a mount? Because I just don't see how shocks control ride height.

Back