• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supra???

There has been much to do about the new Supra. I owned a Mk4 TT with a six speed many years ago and it was a great car (NSX better though). Just wondering what everyone thinks about it. I think Toyota missed the mark on this one. A rebadged BMW is not the direction Toyota should have gone. A BMW sourced inline 6....no manual transmission......styling???Not really sure what to think until I see one in person. I think they are trying to cash in on the name with little to no investment. There is really not much that separates it from the 370z.

Last edited:
Saw the pictures yesterday.
Am not impressed. Like you said, looks like a rebadged Z4, which happens to be a car that I also don't like very much.
Nose far too long IMHO and rear to short. Always looked to me like one of those cartoon cars in comic books.
If you're used to the clean and pretty unobstructed view from a NSX, that long nose in front of you really gives me the feeling that I am missing out on things.
This might be of course just a feeling and nothing more, but in my view, something like that should not belong in a sports car.

At least they didn't bless it with their butt ugly spindle grill. I agree with MvM, the nose is too long, and the rear too short. Probably will have enough BMW to not have Toyota reliability.

There has been much to do about the new Supra. I owned a Mk4 TT with a six speed many years ago and it was a great car (NSX better though). Just wondering what everyone thinks about it. I think Toyota missed the mark on this one. A rebadged BMW is not the direction Toyota should have gone. A BMW sourced V6....no manual transmission......styling???Not really sure what to think until I see one in person. I think they are trying to cash in on the name with little to no investment. There is really not much that separates it from the 370z.

AFAIK, it is an inline 6, not a V6.

Other markets might get an inline 4 (given that BMW offers an inline 4 on the Z4). If there is a demand for a manual it will likely be introduced later on. (The Z4 is currently offered in automatic only, but if demand is there a manual might show up eventually)

The styling on the Z4 is much better than the Toyota design. The FT1 looked much better than the actual production car.

Comparing the Z4/Supra to the 370Z is like comparing apples and oranges, different market segments. The 370Z just like it's predecessor 350Z doesn't fall into the luxury sports car segment.

Talked to a couple of Assistant GM's at Toyota dealers in Japan, they seemed to be quite excited about having the car in the Toyota lineup instead of it been a Lexus.

I might be the minority, but I kind of like it. The front end isn't the finest attribute but overall I'm into it. Kudos to any car company making enthusiast focused cars nowadays.

its like 1991 all over with the new rx-7 tt....at 50k you are getting into audi tt and cayman territory...335 hp mehhh

its like 1991 all over with the new rx-7 tt....at 50k you are getting into audi tt and cayman territory...335 hp mehhh

But thinking of how fast 335 hp is in 2019 vs 335 back in 1993 when the RX7 came out.

Toyota just recklessly wasted the name 'Supra', what a stupid decision! Better no car than a rebadged BMW, esp. as the engine/gearbox/suspension is BMW and not bulletproofed Toyota quality. What do we see next from them? A rebadged MX-5 as a successor of the history GT2000? :rolleyes:

The new Supra should have a true M division engine, not a B58 tuned to 335 hp. The B58 is a fine engine, but in 6 months the next gen M3/M4 will have an all new S58 with 450+ hp, and the soon to follow M3C/M4C will have 500+ hp. The Supra should have that engine with the option to select a manual transmission.

The car is outright ugly. The fake vents on the door are hideous. And no manual transmission...

AFAIK, it is an inline 6, not a V6.

Other markets might get an inline 4 (given that BMW offers an inline 4 on the Z4). If there is a demand for a manual it will likely be introduced later on. (The Z4 is currently offered in automatic only, but if demand is there a manual might show up eventually)

The styling on the Z4 is much better than the Toyota design. The FT1 looked much better than the actual production car.

Comparing the Z4/Supra to the 370Z is like comparing apples and oranges, different market segments. The 370Z just like it's predecessor 350Z doesn't fall into the luxury sports car segment.

Talked to a couple of Assistant GM's at Toyota dealers in Japan, they seemed to be quite excited about having the car in the Toyota lineup instead of it been a Lexus.

Fixed. I don't know why I thought it was a V6. I don't think that the Supra is trying to be a luxury sports car this time. Two seater, lighter weight, smaller....not very GT car like. I'm willing to bet they compare it to the 370 when it's finally tested.

I'm sure Toyota will be thrilled to have their long anticipated wonder car compared to the ancient 370 turd.

I was just looking at the stats for the 370Z and they compare or exceed the Supra's hp figures with an NA motor. I don't think it's faster but it's close and it comes with three pedals. I'm not a Nissan fan boy but Toyota needs to up their game so as not to be compared to a much older design (calling it a turd is a little harsh). Oh and the loaded 370Z is 10 grand cheaper than the new Supra.

I too used to own a '94 TT 6spd. Amazing car!

The new Supra....... sigh........complete disappointment.
No Manual
BMW parts bin
BMW Trans

Quite honestly, this is NOT a Supra. It's more like a higher performance Toyota 86.
Very disappointed in this thing.

Roof from a viper, bumper from a Alfa, BMW powertrain, Camry interior, what’s not to love?:biggrin:

I wonder if napelton has a toyota store....

This discussion sounds VERY familiar...hmm...almost like 3 years ago when another storied Japanese make tried to reboot another legendary name...

perseveration......:tongue:

I was looking forward to this as a replacement to the recently departed F-type as smaller with same power and Toyota build quality seemed to be all good ... pre-launch pictures looked aggressive and cohesive in design, teaser race car also looked great ... and then they launch some fugly overweight looking cousin of what they teased us with ... real shame for Toyota, good news for Jag as I’ll likely go back as that car has so much soul and school buy fun about it (even without the V8)!

The bottom line for me is that a sports car needs to have a manual transmission. I know that the dual clutch transmissions are faster/better but that's not the point. In a world where most people don't track their cars the speed difference really does not matter. I can't wait to the mid engine Corvette to be released with nothing but an automatic. "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-9n-EHaz8

I'm not a big Supra guy but I think Toyota dropped the ball on this one. Looks too much like a BMW including the BMW badges inside the engine bay. To me this is Lazy, Toyota basically told BMW make a car for us and throw a Toyota emblem on it. They went dropped from the GTR, NSX, M4, Porsche Category. I'm stunned executives at Toyota Ok'd this, at least Honda put effort on the NSX, Nissan with the GTR.

Um............what the heck...................... so essentially the new "Supra" is truly a BMW inside and out. Unbelievable! :(

What a DISGRACE to the MKIV Supra.

Just wondering where they want to sell that clone. I guess it will be very, very rare. The cars produced will face a HUGE discount and resale value.

Back