• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supra???

I cannot express how incredibly disappointed I am in this thing. I honestly cannot believe what this THING is. My MKIV Supra was my sole car regret, (selling it); I adored that car.
I certainly had aspirations of buying the new "supra" but good grief this THING .......... kinda makes me angry to be honest. This thing doesn't hold a candle to the MKIV Supra.
To those in this thread who have posted new and / or updated details about the new supra, I say Thank you! seriously, thank you! Really good information to know and understand
the Frankenstein that BMWOTA pieced together.

Just wondering where they want to sell that clone. I guess it will be very, very rare. The cars produced will face a HUGE discount and resale value.

Depending on pricing the vehicle might find some success in Japan.

The only sports car that Toyota currently has in their Toyota brand lineup is the 86, which is priced between 2,623,320 Yen to 4,968,000 Yen with the same 2.0L 200HP NA F4 engine. The pricier models been the GR models that have the Gazoo Racing suspension/brake/exhaust/aero/chassis braces/seats/etc.

So at least in regards to HP figures the new Supra should offer more performance and luxury than the 86 with a similar FR layout.

Ironic that the 86 is also pretty much a Subaru BRZ at it's core, with Toyota specific suspension tuning and some minor interior and exterior design elements.

It would be interesting to see if the presence of the Supra in the Toyota lineup finally frees up Subaru to do a Turbocharged version of the BRZ.

Looks like Ill be holding onto my MKIV.

I believe that pricing is very fair.

Believe 90's vs modern cars is best summed up by
90's were built by engineers
Modern are built by accountants

Ironic that the 86 is also pretty much a Subaru BRZ at it's core, with Toyota specific suspension tuning and some minor interior and exterior design elements.

It would be interesting to see if the presence of the Supra in the Toyota lineup finally frees up Subaru to do a Turbocharged version of the BRZ.
In contrary to the Supra I understood the cooperation between Toyota and Subaru in the GT86/BRZ project, both Japanese, both high-quality, trying to build a fun-car. But back then, Toyota stressed how much influence they had on the car like weight distribution, suspension design etc. even though it was clear that boxer = Subaru. Makes me wonder if Toyota has 'decorated itself with foreign feathers' even back then. And surely makes me rethink how much influence on that car Toyota actually had.
The GT86/BRZ is at the end of the product cycle to get any more updates like Turbo, a drawback it failed to have for day one (low power). As it's a Subaru Toyota won't be able to decide on its own. More over this, the engine failed to be bullet-proof, there was a recall regarding broken valve springs. No wonder, Toyota is good at hybrid and boring mediocre cars and Subaru at AWD and Turbo, they can't build reputable sportcars. A 2.2 with 220-250 hp would have been better. But you can't expect that from meciocre Toyota. I still admire their quality level and would drive a boring Toyota any day (but only) as a DD.

I'm really wondering how Toyotas is trying to market that Frankenstein's car. :) Car enthusiasts can't be lead behind the light and thanks to the US guys we now know what it is, regardless what Toyota wants us to believe it should be. :)

Last edited:
In contrary to the Supra I understood the cooperation between Toyota and Subaru in the GT86/BRZ project, both Japanese, both high-quality, trying to build a fun-car. But back then, Toyota stressed how much influence they had on the car like weight distribution, suspension design etc. even though it was clear that boxer = Subaru. Makes me wonder if Toyota has 'decorated itself with foreign feathers' even back then. And surely makes me rethink how much influence on that car Toyota actually had.
The GT86/BRZ is at the end of the product cycle to get any more updates like Turbo, a drawback it failed to have for day one (low power). As it's a Subaru Toyota won't be able to decide on its own. More over this, the engine failed to be bullet-proof, there was a recall regarding broken valve springs. No wonder, Toyota is good at hybrid and boring mediocre cars and Subaru at AWD and Turbo, they can't build reputable sportcars. A 2.2 with 220-250 hp would have been better. But you can't expect that from meciocre Toyota. I still admire their quality level and would drive a boring Toyota any day (but only) as a DD.

I'm really wondering how Toyotas is trying to market that Frankenstein's car. :) Car enthusiasts can't be lead behind the light and thanks to the US guys we now know what it is, regardless what Toyota wants us to believe it should be. :)

I get the gist of your comments, that been said Toyota as a brand (Lexus included) does have interesting vehicles and quite a diverse lineup, so I feel that you are stuck in the past and I would personally not call the entire Toyota lineup boring.

Personally I would not go out of my way to purchase a RC-F or a LC but they are luxury (grand touring) sport cars. Same goes with the IS/GS/LS with the various sport packages that are available, they compete with BMW and Mercedes in the luxury car segment as well as their sports oriented divisions (M/AMG).

I test drove the new Corolla Hatchback (Corolla Sport) in Japan to see what all the hype was all about, in JDM spec with the 1.2L Turbocharged Engine and the Active Suspension the car was well sorted out in regards to chassis and suspension tuning as well as interior and exterior design, the car just needs a larger 1.5-1.6L turbocharged engine with 180-200ps to be a nice hot hatch just like the 10th Gen Honda Civic Hatchback.

Slowly but surely Toyota (the non Lexus portion of Toyota Corporate) is working in bringing sportiness back into their vehicles.

Last edited:
I get the gist of your comments, that been said Toyota as a brand (Lexus included) does have interesting vehicles and quite a diverse lineup, so I feel that you are stuck in the past and I would personally not call the entire Toyota lineup boring.
I've to admit that my range of view is limited to the extent as I can only judge the car lineup WE get in EUROPE and that's only a fraction of what other continents get. I'm pretty sure Toyota offers a bigger choice in Japan or in the US. BTW Honda was boring for some years in Europe too. But from time to time I always found a car model that was special enough be to driven like Integra, S2000, ZE1 or NSX.

The problem here in Europe is also the pricing of 'special' (fun) cars. There's no law making them more expensive but Toyota knows that they'll sell only a few of them like the GT86. So they import only a small amount of them thinking that there are some people crazy enough to pay much more than any other guy on this planet does for a fun car which will be substituted for the next fun car after 2-3 years, leaving a big hole in the wallet. A GT86 was around $40-45k over here for example and we're not red communists. :wink:

One addition: the FK8R was a little bit cheaper here in Europe but not because it's build in Swindon GB but mainly because we got plenty of them. I'm very interested in the pricing of the Supra.

Last edited:
If only the production car looks exactly like the concept
2fce611f5edfb8be734c5309cb407d9c.jpg

^^^ That'd have costed 250,000.

What she looks like at 1 am in the club...
2fce611f5edfb8be734c5309cb407d9c.jpg

What she looks like in the morning when you wake up....
toyota_supra_160.jpg

Going across the block tonight. Barrett Jackson

While I’m torn on the MK5 Supra. It does look better in person. Toyota has a hit on their hands.

Fantastic display with all four previous gen Supras.

e431a5d909e124339033457662b9d55a.jpg

82884e678fca04a636a9383200a634e8.jpg

835844779e12084919aecc7e0ae19ec7.jpg

77bf896b23a6aadf928a8dc9bd1c50b5.jpg

76ec45a8583038e4b19f814920dfa54e.jpg

913941a68d94fbe4c059fda2284e3d76.jpg

Toyota just recklessly wasted the name 'Supra', what a stupid decision! Better no car than a rebadged BMW,What do we see next from them? A rebadged MX-5 as a successor of the history GT2000? :rolleyes:

(I'm kinda a muscle car guy)
You know......can you guys imagine if the internet was around for some of those historical moments, like when the Mustang II was released, or even the Fox body? Or when in 1971 you could have a 425hp HEMI and in 1975 the Corvette was top dog with 210hp?

The internet haters would have rioted in....well...the internets!

Nonetheless, manufacturers screwing with classic cars and performance and making them worse has been around for a long while. Sometimes they hold a cult following(Fox bodies), and other times they are essentially like forgotten red haired step-middle-children(Mustang II).
We shall see how well or poorly this new Supra thing works out. As we shall see how "legendary" the new NSX remains in the years to come. Time will tell more than the hoards of internet haters. ne_nau.gif

I love the old Supras but this think is ugly to me. No manual gearbox option either I don’t think. That’s doesn’t work for me. ....Now how to get a manual in a 458....hmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind the design, but it's irksome that it's a BMW underneath. The industrial history of post-war japan has been to beat the europeans at their own game by creating superior products, at a lower price point, with better reliability. This goes for Honda/Toyota in the car market, Miroku for guns, seiko for watches, etc. And now Toyota seems to shrug and admit they cannot out-engineer BMW...and in their own halo car! What is the point of creating an aspirational vehicle that you didn't even design?

The depreciation will be brutal...who wants to own a Toyota that has the reliability of a BMW?

I agree this is platform sharing/cost containment/intellectual property sharing done wrong....as above not the halo car for the brand...:confused:

Back