• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SUV got totalled...looking at MDX, Cayenne, RR Sport

Which SUV?

• 07 Acura MDX

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • 06 Porsche Cayenne S

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 06 Range Rover Sport

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Our 04 MDX got rear ended a week ago and has been totaled by the insurance company. It was good to us and gave us no issues, towed our boat fine, and we weren't planning on replacing it in the near future.

Well, now we are forced to. So just looking at some suggestions, incite on the 3 vehicles we are looking at.

07-08 Acura MDX...have test driven it and we like the way it drives (a little sportier then the 1 gen mdx) and think we would be happy with it. Would get model with Nav, rear DVD, power liftgate, etc
06-07 Porsche Cayenne S - V8, higher tow rating, but lower gas mileage, and concerned about reliability/maint cost.

06 Range Rover Sport - love the looks, but even more concerned about the reliability..and even worse gas mileage.

The vehicle will be the family hauler, out of town trips, tow the boat, etc. Won't commute a ton in it but of all our cars will get the most miles put on it.

Appreciate the feedback guys.
NormRD

no lexus rx350/400/450?

best milage and likely one of the best reliability in its class; but unlike the mdx it is a 5 seater with noticably less room in the back....

new MDX hands down.
and its a honda so it will last you forever with no problem Just like your old MDX.

why switch. the other cars you listed I would throw my own poo at.

no lexus rx350/400/450?

best milage and likely one of the best reliability in its class; but unlike the mdx it is a 5 seater with noticably less room in the back....

The Lexus tow rating isn't high enough. Plus like a little sportier ride.

A bit surprised there isn't more love for the others.

I am in the same situation as the OP
My Infiniti FX got totalled so I am in the market for another suv.
The FX was as solid as a car I ever had..I put 130,000 miles and never had a single problem with it..I loved that car!!!
I need a another suv and I was even considering giving the new ford explorer a try...looks pretty good and is technology packed
Even more for the price of a used 2008 MDX u can get a 7 passenger 2011 explorer. I too am looking at Ranger rover, MDX, X5, ford Edge, and 4Runner.
I am dedicated to any one brand name so I don't care if it's not a Honda

Z

I am in the same situation as the OP
My Infiniti FX got totalled so I am in the market for another suv.
The FX was as solid as a car I ever had..I put 130,000 miles and never had a single problem with it..I loved that car!!!
I need a another suv and I was even considering giving the new ford explorer a try...looks pretty good and is technology packed
Even more for the price of a used 2008 MDX u can get a 7 passenger 2011 explorer. I too am looking at Ranger rover, MDX, X5, ford Edge, and 4Runner.
I am dedicated to any one brand name so I don't care if it's not a Honda

Z

I had the new explorer as a rental and didn't like it. They are better than the old ones but still not comparable to the rest you listed. You can't see anything out of it. Feels like you are in a bathtub.

How about a Mercedes Benz GL? 7 seating, 4.6L V8 or even a 5.5L. Or if your a economy freak they have a diesel V6. Towing rating at 7,500LBs. I'm not sure if that is enough or not for a boat. Never heard of any problems amongst the Mercedes Line besides the common problems from not treating your car right.

naa I dont like Ford their technology package is a joke.

they think they invented NAVI and voice hands free link but in reality they had navi and voice in the 80's and guess what
it was an Asian brand vehicle.

american market is always 10 years behind the import market when it comes to technology.

I wouldnt mind a Ford F350 though that thing is a beast.

How bout the new durango..they look pretty good.
Hell I would love to rock a jeep srt8 suv as well
..unlike the OP I am single so I don't have to worry about extra room but I do wanna get a boat so I am concerned about towing

If you're looking at an 07-08 MDX with nav, dvd, etc... you're looing for one with the Technology and Ent packages. The VIN will start as 2HNYD284. 284 denotes the tech and Ent packages. There is only one other package above that called the Sport. It has different styled wheels, perforated leather, auto leveling headlights and most importantly, the sport suspension. It's smiliar to the one in the newer Corvettes. Avoid the sport package at all costs. There is a currently a surge of these needing the shocks replaced and they aren't cheap at all.You won't miss adjusting the suspension between firm and soft setting on the fly. The standard suspension is great on its own.

We recently purchased a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel and love it, great towing capability at 7500, we added the 3rd row seat and although small is there if we need it. Our gas mileage in town has been 24MPG, not bad :) We also looked at the MDX but the gas mileage was low :(

I have a Porsche Cayenne, and I love it! I have had no issues with it for the past 6 years.

If you are concerned about fuel economy, perhaps you can consider the Cayenne Hybrid. 20mpg City, 24mpg Highway.

What about a Honda Pilot? Not luxurious enough?

We recently purchased a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel and love it, great towing capability at 7500, we added the 3rd row seat and although small is there if we need it. Our gas mileage in town has been 24MPG, not bad :) We also looked at the MDX but the gas mileage was low :(

Not to take away from the thread, but how much more was that diesel X5 over a similar MDX? I'm not trying to prove a point. I'm actually interested to see if what the trade off is.

Not to take away from the thread, but how much more was that diesel X5 over a similar MDX? I'm not trying to prove a point. I'm actually interested to see if what the trade off is.

Starting price for the BMW diesel is $57,595, a premium over the gaser. Yes, we considered the higher price, the higher price of diesel gas itself and the need to do top offs of the urea additive. For price and the MDX is a great SUV we were going to get the MDX but we got a awesome deal on our fully equipped custom ordered X5 in December and could not be happier, also ALL maintenance (brakes, fluids, etc) are included in price for the first 4 years.

We also looked at the Audi but it did not feel right for us, tried the ML Mercedes but even the wife said it felt like driving a boat, it also sits on the same platform as the jeep grand Cherokee. We considered the Cayenne but a new one got expensive quickly and noticed when you drive off the lot the price goes down fast and significantly. Note the brakes on the Audi and Porsche are similar (may be the same?) and a friend had a standard brake job done recently on his audi and it was $2400+ :eek: We never looked at the Range Rover, everyone we know that has owned one says they are horrible on things breaking and also $$$ to fix.

Good luck, but honestly you cant go wrong with the MDX, just wish the shield was not there :(

Pretty sure will be going with the MDX. Our last one was great to us. Like how the new one drives a bit more sporty. Main thing I missed with the old one.

Just don't think the higher repair bills and possible worse reliability are worth it.

Maybe more than you wanted to know about Cayennes but you asked...
My DD is an '05 Cayenne TT-S and it is a transcendent vehicle.
It does use oil that's for sure. And proportionate to the amount of time that the time that the motor is asked to deliver its 550hp to the ground.
103K miles now, replaced a cardan shaft under warranty and engine coolant hoses whose original design were plastic were replaced by redesigned metal ones.
Mileage of 20-21 can be achieved on the highway at 72 on the cruise and out of boost. Mileage declines progressively above that speed. Big frontal area + 3 tons. City MPG = 12-14 but I live 5 miles from work and distance was a pre-purchase consideration.
I enjoyed driving newer non-turbo iterations with the 8 speed auto, very smooth and powerful but not what the TT-S is capable of. But how could something else equal 550HP/550TQ?
My first exposure was to a base S model with the steel suspension. That almost made me walk away from the platform. The difference between the factory air ride (standard on TT's and optional below that) and the steel suspension is almost hard to describe- they are that different.
Look for a CPO with some warranty if possible but from my experience they are robust trucks. Mine has served me well and never left me stranded.

Back