• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are all "Pre-Owned" Car Salesmen scum?

Still don't know why sophisticated/$ savvy people (NSX owners/business people) buy anything other than new cars from the dealer. Less hassle? Yeah right. They serve their purpose well for less educated/knowledgeable people that need a helping hand, financing, etc.

Option 1:
Professional salesman
Highly proficient in hiding mechanical issues
High overhead to compensate for
Profit motive
Profit requirement
Transaction time: half a day minimum
People involved in transaction besides you: 3+

Option 2:
Regular guy 99/100 times
Not proficient at hiding problems, will usually volunteer them
No overhead
No profit motive
No profit requirement
Transaction time: 30 minutes + shop inspection if necessary
People involved in the transaction besides you: 1

I'd rather buy private party every time. If you must buy dealer certified, that's a pretty telling characteristic of a car's overall level of craftsmanship.

Bingo.

A salesman is a trained liar.

An ordinary guy- is well....an ordinary guy.

Car salesman will always have a bad rap.........unfortunately thats life. Right up there with lawyers and politicians. At the OP regular car warranty and getting a car CPO'd are two different things. When a dealer CPO's a car it has to have the original equipment the car came with those are the rules. So dealers cannot switch rims/tires with other cars.

As for 8-11K margin on used cars every now and then if bought right there can be but that is not your average. Although used cars tend to have more money than new cars.

If you want to get a good deal and good experience when shopping go in as and educated buyer and NOT an douche. Telling a salesman "Oh I know you have $8-10K margin to play with" will not get you a better deal. Just tell them what you want based on REAL research if reasonable you will get the deal and will not waste your time or theirs. Keep in mind they are working on 100% commission so its better for them to deal with as many clients as possible not working one customer for 4 + hours and making $100.

Go in the last day of month do this you will get a good deal and hopefully be in and out thats if the Finance dept doesnt screw you........but thats another post.

Bingo.

A salesman is a trained liar.

An ordinary guy- is well....an ordinary guy.

Wow, Thats a hit coming from someone I know... You didnt think I was lying when you called for help in buying the Z06... :rolleyes:

I agree people that some salespeople are shady.. BUT some doctors are too, hell I ran across a real shady pastor at a church recently, and even a cashier at kohls...

They are everywhere and generalizing this the way it has been done is wrong.

To the OP. No not ALL are scum, But like humanity in general you will run across some that are. Go with your gut and if they rub you the wrong way walk.. Its really that simple.

Well, we weren't talking about insurance, or homes or computers or anything else so being the intelligent people we are, we could infer that i was-

::drumroll::

Speaking in context of the OP

I've bought and sold a lot of cars. Yes, in my experience, used car salesmen are trained liars.

Do you all think the stereotype came from no where? :rolleyes:

Brian - you didn't try to sell me a car....I asked you to do me a favor and to find me one. ;)

There's always an exception or exceptions to the rule....waaaah.....don't get your panties all in a bunch, guys.

Last edited:
Well, this thread certainly took an unintended turn for the worse.

I'm sorry if my original post was taken out of context. I was simply venting. I have nothing against used car salesmen (unless you're from Nigeria), kidding of course.

Actually, one of my dreams was to own a small high-end used car dealership. That way I could drive some of the inventory. :smile:

I agree people that some salespeople are shady.. BUT some doctors are too, hell I ran across a real shady pastor at a church recently, and even a cashier at kohls...

To the OP. No not ALL are scum, But like humanity in general you will run across some that are. Go with your gut and if they rub you the wrong way walk.. Its really that simple.

I agree, it's a generalization, one that I shouldn't have made. And I agree also, we walked away.

Wow, Thats a hit coming from someone I know... You didnt think I was lying when you called for help in buying the Z06... :rolleyes:

pretty much summed it all up. I'd buy from you brian :biggrin:

I bet it also matters what dealership the salesman works for. A friend bought a new Nissan truck one time, and they tried to give him the runaround. They even called him a week after the papers had been signed to tell him they had to increase his interest rate or take the truck back. When he told them they could take it and give him his trade in back, they were stuck, because they had already sold it.

The guys on this board who sell cars, being that they are the sort of guys who are on this board, probably won't work for a place where the management would accept or encourage bad business practice like that.

Stereotypes often come from some amount of truth, though. Think about it. I'm half Chinese and half Japanese (traditionally, I'm supposed to hate myself). My sister can't drive, my mom can't drive, my aunt can't drive, and my grandmother never even tried to learn.

I drive like the wind, though. Exception to every rule.

Are you serious? Not well educated? WOW....

That comment was specifically directed at their knowledge of their product. I have rarely ever met a used car salesperson who knew their product other than, "it's red! It has dual exhaust, etc. I was not commenting on their possession, or lack there of, of formal education. Thus my comment about educate yourself when it comes to car shopping. Let's try to keep it in the ballpark.

WOW!!!!

You sir are very very very wrong...

I own a couple of used car dealerships so obviously these threads always catch my attention...

You should not be treated that way no matter what. Be it a used car guy ( scum) or a doctor. PERIOD. Keep shopping . I can tell you that 80% of purchases are from people that treat the customer with respect and you will find one for sale somewhere you will be treated the correct way.

But the 8-10k markup is a joke..... yes the " certified" cars that new dealers sell tend to have a higher markup but I can tell you that in 11 years in the business that that statement is very wrong. The used car market is horrible right now. I buy a lot of cars from private owners clean them up and sell them at dealer auctions and make money because that how high used cars are in price.The newer vehicles 09-10 used can be found and at a decent price but anything 08- older is very high. There is a huge shortage of vehicles and has been since Aug 09. It is simple supply and demand.

Thanks for reading.

Brian ( your friendly non scum car dealer that doesnt mark anything up 8-10k:biggrin:)

+1 for Brian. He is also a NSX Guru! I agree with the above statement and am also a non scum new and Pre-owned car salesman. Gross pofit on our "average" used car is well under 1k, and new cars less than that.

I'd hate to say it but I always thought I'd make a good car salesman for knowing what cars are about not just "well it has wheels, etc.".

I bet there are some salesman that are completely honest, know their product inside and out, that must do pretty well.

Hey guys(and girls),

Just wanted to follow up on this. We got sick and tired of BMW salesmen. Had a few more jerks and ended up next door and test drove the Range Rover Sport SC. Then we went across the street and ended up at the Porsche dealership.

My dad ended up getting a silver/charcoal Porsche 997 Carrera!!! :biggrin: A bit different than what he was originally looking for, but he's always wanted one.

He's loving it and I'm just glad he's happy. He's had a rough year with my mothers passing...well, we all have.

Btw, the Porsche salesman knocked off over $4 grand and was very very knowledgeable and took great care of us. After the sale, they noticed a few things wrong and ordered/corrected them for us. Also got brand new tires thrown in.

Seriously disappointed in BMW...but I guess things happen for a reason.

Regards,
- Zishan

I bet there are some salesman that are completely honest, know their product inside and out, that must do pretty well.
i know *many* professional sales people who fit this profile to a T.

otoh, over the years, i've known many hotbreathandpersonality / handwavium salespeople. my observation is they typically don't last in a well-run organization and over time either leave the sales profession or end up peddling whatever bait'n'switch product they can just to make ends meet.

Back