• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taitec GTLW owners

The GTLW sounds awesome but for long drives the droning gives me a headache. Otherwise its definitely a good bang for the buck.

forced induction?

I have Jetpilot's aforementioned ex and I would say it does sound gorgeous. It doesn't sound exactly like the video, I don't think any amateur video will be a good representation of an exhaust sound.

I have the Taitec header/exhaust combo and it sounds less hollow than in the video and a little bit more exotic (a little!). I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have had my fill of loud, obnoxious exhausts and I have to say it didn't put me off one bit. Minimum drone and a good ride when on long drives.

Get it!

That is pretty much how it sounds from the outside, but inside the droning drove me crazy. It makes you either drive faster or shift to the next gear just to drop the RPM. From the inside, it sounds great at higher RPM's and it is physically lighter than stock. Even though I am not using mine, I am still keeping it just in case.

That is pretty much how it sounds from the outside, but inside the droning drove me crazy. It makes you either drive faster or shift to the next gear just to drop the RPM. From the inside, it sounds great at higher RPM's and it is physically lighter than stock. Even though I am not using mine, I am still keeping it just in case.

I didn't know what drone was exactly, until I installed the GTLW with stock manifolds and cats in place.

Adding the headers and test pipes increases the sound, but reduces the drone. Acceptable in my honest opinion now.

When I was driving back from the ALMS from Monterey to Los Angeles....I was getting a headache from the droning.......for driving the car around an hour or two it is fine but anything after that without having your radio on to not hear the droning will give you a headache.....at least it did for me.

My set up is DC Headers, AIS, new oem cats, GTLW, Gruppe M intake, Big Bore Throttle Body.....and I can tell you that the droning will drive you nuts if you are in the car long enough.

Thats one clean NSX in that video..I wonder whose it is..:biggrin:

I think a good way to get rid of drone is using TP's and or resonated exhaust tips. After doing that, the drone went away. It's actually quieter now with the tips, but that's okay with me...I'll sacrifice.

Thats one clean NSX in that video..I wonder whose it is..:biggrin:

I think a good way to get rid of drone is using TP's and or resonated exhaust tips. After doing that, the drone went away. It's actually quieter now with the tips, but that's okay with me...I'll sacrifice.

I assume thats your car Advan:biggrin: I notice you have those tips on. Are they aftermarket ones you welded on to the exhaust? And just to clairify, are you running a test pipe or high flow cat? I love the way your car sounds. Thanks

I assume thats your car Advan:biggrin: I notice you have those tips on. Are they aftermarket ones you welded on to the exhaust? And just to clairify, are you running a test pipe or high flow cat? I love the way your car sounds. Thanks

thanks...and yes, they're aftermarket resonated tips from sebring tuning..along with gutted cats and a lightweight flywheel.

Considering adding test pipes, has anyone done "before and after" with test pipes? Drone increase? That would be the deal breaker....

I started with 91 OEM w/GTLW, to headers, test pipes, and GTLW. Absolutely, the drone decrease significantly, 70-85% if I had to guess.... :smile:

What causes the drone to be reduce over time? I'm interested to know since my exhaust was purchased second hand. I originally was going to purchase the parallel exhaust, but heard the drone in that exhaust was much worse then the GTLW. I wouldn't mind the GTLW a bit louder though @ WOT. :D

Maybe it's the material/packing inside the exhaust that "breaks in," but that's just a guess.

^^could be right.

When I purchased my last GTLW the car had silver shavings on the top of the rear bumper while it was breaking in...could have been loose packing burning off?

Regardless, the sound and drone changed a wee bit to become a little more quiet which in my opinion was perfect!

Just installed mine yesterday, I love it! Only issue is a bit of a drone here and there, but tolerable. Considering adding test pipes, has anyone done "before and after" with test pipes? Drone increase? That would be the deal breaker....
The loudness drowns out the drone.:rolleyes:

When I first bought the GTLW, the drone was quite bad. So for about nearly a year I had the silencer inserts in. Couple of months back I took the inserts off. First thing I noticed was the drone were so much less then I remembered. In short those inserts are not going back in :biggrin: Must have broken in after all that time. Now time for some headers and HFC!

FWIW. i had the gtlw installed last week w/o the silencers. For me, its not too loud and has a deep, mellow sound like the link by the OP. Upon WOT, its loud but not obnoxious. I have done many freeway and city miles and the drone is barely noticable nor annoying. I have oem exhaust and Random cats.

very happy with the result and the weight loss:smile:

What I don't like GTLW is that it is always loud, at any RPM. The volume to adjust according the the RPM progressively. If you use high flow cats or test pipes, you will wake up your neighbors from 2000 RPM and wake up the world at 8000 RPM.

Back