• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tein MonoFlex first impression!

hi prime members,

I just replaced my HKS Hipermax II coilover to Tein MonoFlex coilover last night. Just for reference, Hipermax II uses 8/9 kg springs setup, and MonoFlex uses 12/14 kg setup. Before I put MonoFlex in, I was expecting the ride to be harsher due to the stiffer spring rates, but I was wrong, the MonoFlex is actually more comfortable and absorb bumps better than HiperMax II, and that was with hard settings front and rear. I believe the comfortness come from MSV, a new technology developed by Tein.

I can not give a good description of the performance of MonoFlex, but I will have a chance on 4/15 on Pacific Raceway to test them out and see how good they're. However, just on street driving, the MonoFlex seems to handle better then Hipermax II on corners due to the stiffer spring rates.....Hipermax II felt kind of sloppy and I always rub my front tires on the inside when taking hard turns, but then keep in mind I'm also running 235/45/18 tires front to accomodate my widebody NSX.

I guess the only complaint I have is the weight of MonoFlex, it is a bit heavier than Hipermax II and Tein RA, but it has something to do with MonoFlex's steel body.

All in all, I think MonoFlex is a great bang for the buck if you're looking for a good street/track coilover, you won't be disappointed ^_^.

Thanks for the review Jackson, I recall at the last meet you were rather un-impressed with the HKS. So far everyone has seemed to have good feedback on the monoflex MSV. I noted one of the 2K guys really liked the SR, and the auto-x purists over there are usually pretty picky.

Hey it would be awesome if we could both get out the same day at PR. Not sure if I will make PR on 4/15 with the NSX, I am almost there but I came off late and am still working on a few last minute 'cheater mods'... but if not I'll try to join you in the 2K. :biggrin:

I've been waiting for a review on the Tein Monos and it looks like it's the coilover I've been looking for. Where did you buy it from?Thanks a lot.

hi John,

it would be fun if you can come join us on 4/15 ^_^ Gary, Ferrand, and many others are going to the event as well, it'll be a great event. Gotta register soon though, spots are filling up quickly!!

jagTiger,

I got the Tein Monoflex directly from Tein USA.

i agree with you.
i love the Tein monoflex !
silkysmooth

Could anyone comment on the differences between the TEIN RA and the new TEIN Monoflex suspension.
I'm running the TEIN RA with the 10/10 kg/mm (instead of the usual 10/12kg) springs and am very happy with them so far. Not too harsh for normal driving and very good on the track.

I, too just purchased & installed Tein Monoflex coilovers today. They will be aligning the car tomorrow. My concern is the camber adjustment when using Tein Monoflex when car is lowered 1.5" approx. I am not sure yet (will know tomorrow) how much was lowered (Actual) but most likely 1.5" recommeded lowering was the target.

They say the additional neg. camber cannot be adjusted back to spec. & will experience excessive tire wear (uneven - inside wear). How is your set up and the tire wear? Any optional camber kits or recommended adjustments for front and rear? Any tire rub concerns/issues?

Thanks.

BJXNSX
NSXPrime
03’ Acura NSX-T 3.2L (Blk/Blk)
SF Bay Area
Modification(s):
•CompTech Headers
•CompTech Exhaust
•CompTech Cold-Air Intake
•CompTech CF Intake Cover
•TEIN MonoFlex Coilovers - SOS
•JDM NA2 NSX-R Anti-Sway Bar - SOS
•JDM NA2 NSX-R Chassis Bar Set (Front/Bottom) - SOS
•NSX-R Momo Tuner 320mm Steering Wheel (Blk/Red Stitch)
•JDM Honda Emblem Horn Button Kit
•NRG Short Hub w/NRG Black Chrome Quick-Release Ver. 2.0
•Momo Sport Aluminum Shift Knob
•DaliLama Shift Boot Clip
•Momo Brushed Aluminum Floor Mats Plates
•Momo Pedal Set + Aluminum Dead Pedal (Autovation)
•SmarTenna - SOS
•Stock NSX 17x7"/17x9" Rims

I'm thinking of these on my next project car. This one will be driven more with my wife so that's the only reason I'm not going with our N1 suspension. I would prefer the N1 but I held the newer TEINs in my hand and they are almost double the weight but priceless when it comes to comfort and performance. EDFC is not as popular here in Japan but I'm a foreigner so I get a pass:cool:
The camber issue hasn't been mentioned here before, would like to see some pics to see how bad it is, especially if it is an issue with 8.5s up front, I was going to run 19x9 with mine from this summer. Lowenhart LSRs.
DJ

I, too just purchased & installed Tein Monoflex coilovers today. They will be aligning the car tomorrow. My concern is the camber adjustment when using Tein Monoflex when car is lowered 1.5" approx. I am not sure yet (will know tomorrow) how much was lowered (Actual) but most likely 1.5" recommeded lowering was the target.

They say the additional neg. camber cannot be adjusted back to spec. & will experience excessive tire wear (uneven - inside wear). How is your set up and the tire wear? Any optional camber kits or recommended adjustments for front and rear? Any tire rub concerns/issues?

Thanks.

BJXNSX
NSXPrime
03’ Acura NSX-T 3.2L (Blk/Blk)
SF Bay Area

BJX, the camber wear concern is over-rated. It also depended on your own driving style and the usage of the car. On the nsx, the oem toe setting will eat up the tires. I had TeinRA and with about 1.25-1.5 inch lowered. I don't have any excessive inside tire wear at all. If you insisted, the camber setting on the nsx is adjustable, unlike most honda's. Of course it probably won't be able to dial 0 degree camber, but you may archieve something closed to that.

There's a thread that a member had developed camber plates in the vendor forum. No disrespect, but I personally thought on camber plate that build to gain positive camber is a waste of money. They are mainly for people who doesn't care about car's cornering performance, why get the nsx in the first place?

other note, make sure that your "installer" is familiar with nsx. As mentioned, most Honda had no camber adjustments. Some shops had limited knowledge about the nsx will mistaken the same for the nsx.

Could anyone comment on the differences between the TEIN RA and the new TEIN Monoflex suspension.
I'm running the TEIN RA with the 10/10 kg/mm (instead of the usual 10/12kg) springs and am very happy with them so far. Not too harsh for normal driving and very good on the track.

Freelance actually had Tein RA on his previous car, and we know for now that on the street that monoflex is a little better damped than the RA.

Just got the EDFC installed yesterday. Not sure why I didn't get it when I got the suspension installed. Very nice. With the touch of a button I can go from super aggressive 'race mode' to super smooth 'girlfriend mode'. Even at the firmest setting, the MonoFlex is suprisingly smooth. If you have the MonoFlex or are planning to get it, the EDFC is worth the money.

Does anyone know why some say that the EDFC won't work with the Tein RE coilovers? I heard it's a clearance issue under the hood? But there is a smaller EDFC out now.....:confused:

I have driven a car with edfc at a prior nsxpo,and it is a nice luxury feature not having to manualy turn shock screws.I just don't know how long those little motors will last,esp in the rear with the heat.The fronts have clearence issues on some shocks.

Just got the EDFC installed yesterday. Not sure why I didn't get it when I got the suspension installed. Very nice. With the touch of a button I can go from super aggressive 'race mode' to super smooth 'girlfriend mode'. Even at the firmest setting, the MonoFlex is suprisingly smooth. If you have the MonoFlex or are planning to get it, the EDFC is worth the money.

I remember you said you were thiking about it. Can't wait to check it out. I'm rolling over 70k and probably have to start thinking about this in the fall... See you on the 19th.

Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I just picked up a set of TEIN monoflexes. Are all monoflex (mono-tube design) fitted with the MSV (micro speed valving)? I've read that this helps to reduce "pogoing" during straight line constant speeds (teins website).

I've read a lot about how some of you guys love it, and others just hate this suspension set-up. I really don't plan on tracking this car (at least not yet), but I would DEFINITELY like to take advantage of a more aggressive street setup in the interim. Never the less, I will only be able to tell once I get them installed.

Lastly, I'm not sure how much camber adjustment I am going to need. Of course this is going to vary based on a lot of things. I'd like to retain some negative camber, but I don't want it so negative that I lose traction, and have the edges of the tires floating off the road. In other words, I'd rather not put some sort of 'positive correction' camber kit on if I can avoid it, but if its required to lower the car properly and get the most out of my suspension setup, this is why I ask. Although, I've read that the NSX unlike most other Hondas has adjustable camber. I feel like I just answered my own question. *smack!*

Last edited:
Back