• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tell me about NA1 and NA2 intangibles

I would like to hear opinions about the NA1 models versus the NA2 aside from the obvious changes like 3.0 litre to 3.2 litre, tire change, roof color, targa roof, etc.
Is there a difference in the car itself? does it feel different to drive? is the quality and fit better in the newer versions. Are there intangible benefits that you know of in either models? I might assume that as each year progressed the cars improved. I once read that you buy the newest porsche your money can get you...(if you're buying a porsche)
If you had to pick which one to buy and both were in same condition, what would be the better choice? price only?
thanks,

I think that I have to side with Shawn on this one.

We're generally a pretty agreeable bunch here but Shawn's objection is sustained on the grounds "asked and answered" - a lot.

However I won't stand in Tim's way should he have some spare time. :biggrin:

I would like to hear opinions about the NA1 models versus the NA2 aside from the obvious changes like 3.0 litre to 3.2 litre, tire change, roof color, targa roof, etc.
Is there a difference in the car itself? does it feel different to drive? is the quality and fit better in the newer versions. Are there intangible benefits that you know of in either models? I might assume that as each year progressed the cars improved. I once read that you buy the newest porsche your money can get you...(if you're buying a porsche)
If you had to pick which one to buy and both were in same condition, what would be the better choice? price only?
thanks,

"does it feel different to drive? is the quality and fit better in the newer versions. "

Those are tangibles.

The intangibles for later model NSX is feeling like it's a step better than the older one for people that want to keep it simply stock (KISS).

If u want to free up budget for appearance and performance upgrades, the NA1 is better.

Also, all NA1s are offered without that heavy and chassis bending option called a targa.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Model_Information
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Glossary_of_Terms (scroll down to "n")
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/1997_Details

NA1 vs NA2: is not coupe or targa (There are '95-'96 NSX-Ts which are NA1 motor whether manual or auto trans)
is not popup headlights ('91-'01) vs fixed HIDs ('02-'05)

Is engine upgrade for '97 from 3.0 to 3.2L. Also reflects bigger brakes & 6spd upgrade that took place for '97-'05. No USA '02-'05 coupes.

All automatics are NA1 regardless of year or nose.

If you are looking get a '97-'01 NA2 coupe (not NSX-T) (rare cars) which will have a 6spd by default. I think the silver '99 coupe is still for sale in CA.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

Some good info to look at...

I bought a 91 because...

More headroom
Lightest of all models
Stiffer chassis than a T
Less expensive to buy
OBD1- can custom tune ECU

some negative things...
Old ABS system
No power steering
Smaller brakes

Also reflects bigger brakes & 6spd upgrade that took place for '97-'05.
It doesn't reflect the bigger brakes, since those were included on the NA1 models for '97-05.

People mistakenly think they're being "cool" by referring to the engine codes, when in fact they are only reflecting their lack of knowledge that the differences are associated with the model year rather than with the engine displacement.

Alrighty then; since Curt called me out or woke me up - whatever....:biggrin:

To your last sentence: IT DEPENDS......

The Porsche line you quoted is a good line no matter what car type you are looking at; all other posts here notwithstanding. All these other posts are totally correctomundo! Big Ds was very good., as was Shawn's, and Batman's. All the links will tie you into things you NEED to read! Lot of this has been said before, over and over again! So with that said - one thing that will always be true is - a newer car will last longer from this point with less to worry about in the maintenance department and if that's something you are interested in pay that a lot of attention!

I was watching a link to a video of some great Japanese drivers talking - you can find this link in the thread that is about painting the black roofs of the early models the body color! That's a thread you can find that is still active- good info in general but these two guys said something that caught my attention - that these cars were made to last about 20 years.....mmmmmm ---odd or is it? This speaks to that old Porsche line - buy the best newest model you can afford. Because they do wear out -or parts do anyway - if you know Porsches well - you'll understand.

First thing for you to do for better information is determine what your budget is and tell us. That has everything to do with our advice. Now if you have plenty of money and you just want the best NSX toy you can find then your question is on point and the answer lies in Batman's and Big D's posts. They are talking to you and are right on THE point.

Any of us can tell you what we would do if we had unlimited funds - there's the classic OEM route or the highly modified route - NA1s are great for moding and if you want classic OEM - buy an 05 with low miles and all records from an individual if you can wait that long and you'll be extremely happy (or any low mile 02-05). The older a car is the more that is going to need replacement due to age and miles. Interior etc., paint etc.

Lots and lots to examine - and I wouldn't poo poo the difference in the 3.2 and 3.0 or 5spd vs 6 spd - that's a biggy -obvious - but a biggy. Performance is enhanced a good deal in the 3.2/6 spd. and the interior in the models when the went to perforated seats I believe in 2000 - that's when the interior was made nicer. Definitely in the 02 - 05 models. Radio and AC - same. ABS big improvement over NA1.

There's a lot posted here that speaks volumes on the simple surface answers they give if you are model savy. Like I said though if you have a budget and some parameters - let us know what they are so we may be able to be a little more specific with our comments - we love a good debate like this for "fresh meat" uhmmmm - I mean an NSX newbie....:biggrin:

PS: how was that Curt? :smile:

Last edited:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

Some good info to look at...

I bought a 91 because...

More headroom
Lightest of all models
Stiffer chassis than a T
Less expensive to buy
OBD1- can custom tune ECU

some negative things...
Old ABS system
No power steering
Smaller brakes

91 and 92 (since there is no passenger airbag - not that it matters since people shouldn't sit that close to the dash) has a larger glove box.

Smaller brakes do add 2 advantages: less unsprung weight and rotational mass.

And on average NSX owners with no power steering are slightly better at arm wrestling than their power steering counterparts.......

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot. Given the limited # & appeal of automatics I tend to overlook them. Not being cool, trying to be accurate. For the OP, search for posts by whiteNSXs explaining the delight of NA2 coupes since he has owned several NSXs & can compare the different versions. He likes his better than his older SC one if I remember correctly.

It doesn't reflect the bigger brakes, since those were included on the NA1 models for '97-05.

People mistakenly think they're being "cool" by referring to the engine codes, when in fact they are only reflecting their lack of knowledge that the differences are associated with the model year rather than with the engine displacement.

Anything for my pals - Curt and Carl....sorry bout the lack of a "cliff" note version Carl. I'll try and be a little more brief next time.:wink:

Tim, "cliff" note version is not your MO. Keep writing...the more you write the more I enjoy the read mate....Andrew :wink:

Anything for my pals - Curt and Carl....sorry bout the lack of a "cliff" note version Carl. I'll try and be a little more brief next time.:wink:

Just ribbing you...I only have so much time I can dedicate to the forum while at work...:biggrin:

Alrighty then; since Curt called me out or woke me up - whatever....:biggrin:

To your last sentence: IT DEPENDS......

First thing for you to do for better information is determine what your budget is and tell us. That has everything to do with our advice. Now if you have plenty of money and you just want the best NSX toy you can find then your question is on point and the answer lies in Batman's and Big D's posts. They are talking to you and are right on THE point.

Thanks for the info and leads everybody. I gotta get better at searching these forums! Could be that any question that us "newbies" have, have already been answered in prime detail. :biggrin:
I recommend you save and copy all your responses and 'paste' them as replies when this gets asked again in a few months.:smile:

To answer Tim's quote above, I want to spend no more than $40K and prefer even a lower price since it will cost me plus/minus another $5K to get it into Canada with duty, GST tax, and import fees of all kinds.
I prefer to see mileage under 40K and a 'leave it stock' kind of guy. Although i am not opposed to certain changes. I definitely need to have a MP3 option on the stereo, I like some of the cool rims i've seen here too, and have deduced that most like the comtech exhausts too. The latter seem to be used as a selling point when listed.

I don't think I am off base in finding this kind of price with this kind of mileage, but i asked the question about the NA1 versus NA2 because i have seen a wide range of prices for all various years from 91 to 97' going up to $40K. I can see the correlation of mileage on a car to its asking price but what happens if you find a 95 versus a 97 model with the same price and same mileage. I just wanted to hear opinions on this so if I decide to choose the 95 i am not giving up on something in the 97 or vice versa. I could simply pick the 95/97 because I liked the color better. I know i like the targa top, so I have limited my search to 95 and up, but that's where i ran into the 95/96 model NA1 to +97 NA2 models.

I mentioned the Porsche quip of buying the newest with what you can afford because it helped me choose a 99 boxster a few years back over the 993 models of mid 90's for same price. I know its a different car but it helped me make my decision and I thoroughly enjoyed the boxster. I have never driven an NSX, i wonder if it feels the same.....

thanks for your help!

to your last paragraph regarding the 95 to 97 choice.

in retrospect if not many people would chose a 95 or 96 if they could buy a like condition at like price 1997. at that point the 1997 na2 would offer all the advantages with no disadvantages compared to 1995 /96.

i currently own 2 nsx's and i have read your posts, if i were you i would be looking for the best 1994 nsx i could find OR the best 1997-1998 i could find.

these would represent the best na1 versus na2 choices for your budget.

Ipjang, I have a 96 with 24,500 miles. Shortly after purchase I baselined the car, having TB/WB, belts, valve adjustment and a few other thingies done (somewhere around $2,500) to get the car in the shape I wanted it. Had I opted for the same car but a 97 up, I'd have had to pay several thousand $$$$ more to get. For me, it just was not worth the extra expense. The NSX is a "peppy" car, but you have to decide whether or not the 3.0 is acceptable. I've read on this site it does not take much to tune the pre 97 car to make 'em as fast. So ask yourself, is speed and performance important...for me no, so I bought a 96. I'm very content with how the car performs, don't need the bigger brakes, don't drive the car hard nor race the car. Other than the known model changes from 96 to 97, not read anything on this site that says seats comfort better, handling better, wind noise, stereo etc....Sounds like you need a car in the $32,000 price range to stay under $40,000..you got import tax, maintenance, sales tax and MOT?? that can all add up in a hurry. I don't believe there is a 97 with under 40,000 miles going for $32,000, even in todays market. Take your time searching and good luck finding a car.

p.s. took me 18 months to find the right car for me.......:frown::frown:

If you are concearned with "intangable" then you are not going to be served reading posts online....better to touch and feel the cars..that said there is a strong Canadian nsx club who are still basking in the afterglow of nsxpo 09....why don't you try going to one of thier events http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132721 and discover for yourself the intangable.

If you are concearned with "intangable" then you are not going to be served reading posts online....better to touch and feel the cars..that said there is a strong Canadian nsx club who are still basking in the afterglow of nsxpo 09....why don't you try going to one of thier events http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132721 and discover for yourself the intangable.

sound advice.

I believe you can find an NA2 for 35k but the 40k miles is gonna make it tough. I don't believe you can get an NA2 with that low of miles for 35k but I could be wrong. Start looking here on Prime - that's the best place to look. Best cars from the most knowledgeable guys and you get history of the vehicles maintenance and the importance of that can't be stressed enough. Good luck - you're journey and adventure is just beginning.

The NA1 with headers or newer OEM exhaust manifolds with a nice cat-back exhaust system feels as quick as a NA2. Sure the brakes are smaller on the early cars, but so what. Put some Hawk pads on it and it will stop plenty fast. I also have the ProSpeed Stage 3 chip and high flow cats and my car puts down in the neighborhood of 270 rwhp. I have posted a dyno showing 266 rwhp with the Stage 2 chip and stock cats.

The main thing you want to decide is what color you want and if you want a targa top. If you opt for the targa then you have an 1" less headroom and the chassis would flex more and you may want to get some chassis bars to stiffen it back up to be more like a coupe. NA1 Targas are the heaviest of the bunch...but so what, compared to a boxter you are still in for a pleasant surprise.

And this is the very best advice you can get to determine which you would like best. Doc always goes to the point; he's definitely one of our best contributors, imho.

You mentioned the open air experience of the targa - if I had to have a targa - which I didn't - then go for the NA2. That would be my advice. If you find one with 50 or 60ish K miles on it - it's not a big deal on these cars at all - that's why I am driving the poo out of mine every chance I get. And that my friend is the difference between the NSX and what most Porsche owners do with thier cars. Even though NSXs aren't cheap to maintain - and what exotic is - they are surely more durable than the Boxster and any water cooled engine Porsche makes up until "possibly" the 997.2 - cause I've been hearing some very good things about that.

Compared to a Boxster - you will surely enjoy the power of the NSX! Just keep your eyes open and don't get impatient - you will find the car that is right for you! Patience is the key.

Ipjang, I have a 96 with 24,500 miles. Shortly after purchase I baselined the car, having TB/WB, belts, valve adjustment and a few other thingies done (somewhere around $2,500) to get the car in the shape I wanted it. Had I opted for the same car but a 97 up, I'd have had to pay several thousand $$$$ more to get. For me, it just was not worth the extra expense. The NSX is a "peppy" car, but you have to decide whether or not the 3.0 is acceptable. I've read on this site it does not take much to tune the pre 97 car to make 'em as fast. So ask yourself, is speed and performance important...for me no, so I bought a 96. I'm very content with how the car performs, don't need the bigger brakes, don't drive the car hard nor race the car. Other than the known model changes from 96 to 97, not read anything on this site that says seats comfort better, handling better, wind noise, stereo etc....Sounds like you need a car in the $32,000 price range to stay under $40,000..you got import tax, maintenance, sales tax and MOT?? that can all add up in a hurry. I don't believe there is a 97 with under 40,000 miles going for $32,000, even in todays market. Take your time searching and good luck finding a car.

p.s. took me 18 months to find the right car for me.......:frown::frown:

Great write up Sidwac - excellent advice and you will have maintenance no matter what car you buy and if it's all totally up to snuff - you will pay a premium. I think Sidwac's advice is right on the dot about the money issue as well as reiterating what I said as well about finding an NA2 for 32k which would leave you some in reserve for maintenance - and believe me you will need some in reserve. I have found very few examples indeed where there was nothing for the new owner to do - almost none! I'm sure others will say the same. So then Big Ds comments are right on point for you as well on the performance aspects of the car - btw - the NSX is going to handle better, out accelerate and be more fun than a Boxster. So you have that going for you no matter which year you end up with. Matter of fact there is a car coming up for sale - there was a question asked by the seller - what is my car worth - or something like another what is my car worth question. It should be a nice one but I don't think it's a targa. If you got one as nice as Sidwac's and only had to do what he did - you'd be coming out very well.

PS: thanks Sidwac for you "Cliff note version" comments on my "epistles"....lol.

Last edited:
Back