• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tell me about NA1 and NA2 intangibles

thanks guys, your comments are extremely helpful to me and i totally agree. Had a great conversation with a local NSX owner yesterday and the same points brought up. I look forward to drive testing each model to feel the differences. Key things is to be "patient" and look for the car i want, which means the color i prefer first. Red/tan.
I am not sure if i can find one for $32K without it having high mileage though. I was pleasantly surprised to hear some opionions on 70-80K being fine as long as the car has been regularly maintained. So if i had a wish list answered it will be;
- NA2 6sp, targa in red/tan. All services to date and lower than 45K mileage. Clean carfax record with few owners and full documentation.
Price to mid/upper 30's, leaving me money for some immediate service.

There's the goal all. I sit and wait and watch.:smile:

thanks guys, your comments are extremely helpful to me and i totally agree. Had a great conversation with a local NSX owner yesterday and the same points brought up. I look forward to drive testing each model to feel the differences. Key things is to be "patient" and look for the car i want, which means the color i prefer first. Red/tan.
I am not sure if i can find one for $32K without it having high mileage though. I was pleasantly surprised to hear some opionions on 70-80K being fine as long as the car has been regularly maintained. So if i had a wish list answered it will be;
- NA2 6sp, targa in red/tan. All services to date and lower than 45K mileage. Clean carfax record with few owners and full documentation.

What you are looking for and price tells me it should probably go on your "wishful thinking" list:eek: But I hope over time you can prove me wrong. 3.0 yes but 3.2 a big stretch. Good luck...

If you are willing to wait for it - right now with times being as tough as they are, you just might find an NA2 in the mid 30s to upper in that 75 to 80k range. It might be a little more miles than that even but I believe it's obtainable.

Hang in there! You might be surprised - a friend of mine turned one up like that not too long ago. So I think you can find it. The red/tan combo isn't the easiest to find and it's a Super combo if you like red in my opinion it's the best combo - I might even be tempted if I didn't have my silver beauty. Did i say that's a great combo.....:wink:

PS: you know the best part of owning an NSX and you will hear this a lot is this site - Prime is just full of great guys and great support. The longer you're here the more you enjoy it and feel like you are part of a family. Many have said they can't sell their NSX cause they don't want to leave the family. You'll see what I mean in time.

This is a great post!
Good information. Great opinions. and exactly what keeps this Forum at its best.
I have a NA1, 1991, all original, 35k miles. To me, a true Classic. The original design by Honda. #732 to ship to the US. But that is just my opinion and I like old stuff.
I must say, I have learned so much after owning one of these cars, if I was to buy an NSX all over again, it would be one particular year, because of what it offered.
I am not saying which year it is, because one day, one will be for sale in that particular color on NSXPrime, and I probably will jump at the chance to buy it. :biggrin:
What is cool about these cars, is they are all rare. The very limited production numbers is unheard of in the automotive business. For example the 64.5 - 66 Ford Mustang are all classics as they have the original body design. Production numbers: 200,000 - 500,000 per year!
Henry Ford built more Model A's than Honda built NSXs per year.

NSX's may be rare, but they are really cool cars as well.

That is a bit of a stretch but you never know. Prices usually will creep up in the summertime but with the economy who knows. Someone might have a distress sale. Have your funds together and be ready to pull the trigger. Chances are the car you want will be in another state which adds to the whole purchasing experience...the drive home is a awesome experience.

The longer you're here the more you enjoy it and feel like you are part of a family. Many have said they can't sell their NSX cause they don't want to leave the family.

There is a lot of truth in this statement...

That is a bit of a stretch but you never know. Prices usually will creep up in the summertime but with the economy who knows. Someone might have a distress sale. Have your funds together and be ready to pull the trigger. Chances are the car you want will be in another state which adds to the whole purchasing experience...the drive home is a awesome experience.

Hi Big D,
I have to keep faith that this wish will come by again. Truthfully, in the last month i have let 2 slip by already and no regrets because i was getting a little confused with what i wanted and maybe even a little cautious to 'pull the trigger".
1. 97 red/black targa with 38K miles for $39K Cdn in Canada
2. 97 red/tan targa with 43K miles for $38K US on prime listing.

After researching all the leads from this forum, and reading all the opinions I can say that i am very clear and focused with what i want right now and hope the third time is a home run and not another strike!

thanks!

Glad you have more of a clear understanding of what you want. Now the hard part is finding just the right one. Some people get lucky and find one in a few months and others have taken over a year. Be sure to find a car that has all the maintenence history and when you are ready to buy get a pre- purchase inspection at a reputable mechanic. These items will help you make a better decision and take out alot of the guess work.

Best of Luck :smile:

If you are willing to wait for it - right now with times being as tough as they are, you just might find an NA2 in the mid 30s to upper in that 75 to 80k range. It might be a little more miles than that even but I believe it's obtainable.

Hang in there! You might be surprised - a friend of mine turned one up like that not too long ago. So I think you can find it. The red/tan combo isn't the easiest to find and it's a Super combo if you like red in my opinion it's the best combo - I might even be tempted if I didn't have my silver beauty. Did i say that's a great combo.....:wink:

PS: you know the best part of owning an NSX and you will hear this a lot is this site - Prime is just full of great guys and great support. The longer you're here the more you enjoy it and feel like you are part of a family. Many have said they can't sell their NSX cause they don't want to leave the family. You'll see what I mean in time.

Tim, Tim, Tim....now you know red is the best color for an NSX. "Some say" (Jeremy Clarkson) red is also the fastest. :biggrin:

Sid you're goin "Wacy" on me. If your car had a tan interior......:biggrin:

Silver's faster....:smile:

Red the fastest? LOL fastest to get a speeding ticket. LOL

& that's why I wanted a white car and got a silver car. White just melts into the scenery. It's the best for dodging the heat. Silver's isn't bad. Red is most likely the worst and yellow can't be too far behind - and then there's black - or "how fast am I going" Black......:eek:

My wife gave me a sticker which I'm not going to put on my car but it says I'm not driving fast - I'm flying low! Yessir, your honor, I plead guilty, or is it "no contest" or the 5th...:biggrin:

and then there's black - or "how fast am I going" Black......:eek:

As long as you speed under the cover of darkness you are okay..:wink: j/k

As long as you speed under the cover of darkness you are okay..:wink: j/k

I hope that works for all you guys driving those black "vampire" cars - only drive fast at night - stay away from the full moon please....:wink:

I drive at night too! It's the best time to drive during the week late or after 10. Most are at home like they should be....:biggrin:

Red the fastest? LOL fastest to get a speeding ticket. LOL

Yellow seems to get their attention just as well I'm afraid... I got off the hook because cop was an NSX enthusiast. I didnt get caught at a very fast speed though... after all you need to slow down in the turns :wink:

Im new to all this... NA1 NA2... does this mean Naturally Aspirated? Im just not down with the lingo yet.

Sid you're goin "Wacy" on me. If your car had a tan interior......:biggrin:

Silver's faster....:smile:

But White is the fastest from the factory.....true story

i have a 93. wish it were a 92 with no snap ring issues so i didn't have the passenger side airbag. I like the coupes b/c its more rigid but sometimes I think the ladies like the targa. You can't have it all!

But White is the fastest from the factory.....true story

My sources tell me that white is the slowest followed by silver. Black at night clouds speed rating because of the dark. That leaves red, sleek, fast and a ticket getter only if you have the lead foot. :smile:

i have a 93. wish it were a 92 with no snap ring issues so i didn't have the passenger side airbag. I like the coupes b/c its more rigid but sometimes I think the ladies like the targa. You can't have it all!

Listen, first of all our cars are ....DUDE....magnets....lol. :eek: The only women apparently that even like our cars are all over 60 - other than the few women NSX owners here on Prime. So fugetaboutit! :biggrin: That's not just a personal observation either there have been some threads about it. So just remember - you are buying this car for yourself.

My wife told me and her daughter yesterday that if she had all the money in the world she would buy a new 911 Targa w/ PDK - so there you have it.

Now as to this little sidebar conversation with Rob and Sid - you two fugetaboutit too - silver is faster and that's all I'm gonna say - Ah has spoken! - in the illustrious words of Mammy Yokum of Lil Abner (comic strip that used to appear in the newspapers across the land)- which I'm sure hardly any of you remember.

Im new to all this... NA1 NA2... does this mean Naturally Aspirated? Im just not down with the lingo yet.

You can find part of your answer here in post #7, and here in a discussion about brakes of all things, and in the Wiki:

NA: Naturally Aspirated, aka N/A. (Note: May occasionally be used as an abbreviation for North American market.)

NA1: First iteration NSX engine, 3.0 liters (all 1990-1996, and automatic transmission cars in all model years).

As you can see, NA1 / NA2 has nothing to do with body parts, wheels, brakes, seats, headlights, or cassette players. It is merely an engine code. Note that the NA1 engine is used in all model years with an automatic transmission. Yes, even the 2002 facelifted model.

NA2: Second iteration NSX engine, 3.2 liters (6-speed manual transmission cars, 1997-2005).

Last edited:
You can find part of your answer here in post #7, and here in a discussion about brakes of all things, and in the Wiki:

NA: Naturally Aspirated, aka N/A. (Note: May occasionally be used as an abbreviation for North American market.)

NA1: First iteration NSX engine, 3.0 liters (all 1990-1996, and automatic transmission cars in all model years).

As you can see, NA1 / NA2 has nothing to do with body parts, wheels, brakes, seats, headlights, or cassette players. It is merely an engine code. Note that the NA1 engine is used in all model years with an automatic transmission. Yes, even the 2002 facelifted model.

NA2: Second iteration NSX engine, 3.2 liters (6-speed manual transmission cars, 1997-2005).

The automatics are detuned versions though with only 256 hp - I believe that's right. I think if you put a slash between the N/A you have opened it up for waaaay too many other combinations, like Not Applicable, etc. NA stands for naturally aspirated in most of the car mags I see as well.

Thanks guys...

Question 1... Is there any reason to "tune" this car every so many years? I had a guy trying to sell me on tuning my NSX and I thought that was just if you modified the engine, headers, exhaust, super/turbo.. etc etc.

Question 2... I just purchasd the car, should I have it dyno'ed and if so, is 85 dollars for 3 pulls

Thanks

JF

Thanks guys...

Question 1... Is there any reason to "tune" this car every so many years? I had a guy trying to sell me on tuning my NSX and I thought that was just if you modified the engine, headers, exhaust, super/turbo.. etc etc.

Question 2... I just purchasd the car, should I have it dyno'ed and if so, is 85 dollars for 3 pulls

Thanks

JF

The only tune-up necessary is putting in new plugs, and a fresh air filter. The ECU does the rest. If you have an OBD1 car you can custom tune the ECU to compensate for bolt on performance upgrades such as headers and exhaust.

If you want to dyno it then sure why not thats cheap. Just watch how they tie down your car and hopefully they are careful.

I would like to hear opinions about the NA1 models versus the NA2 aside from the obvious changes like 3.0 litre to 3.2 litre, tire change, roof color, targa roof, etc.
Is there a difference in the car itself? does it feel different to drive? is the quality and fit better in the newer versions. Are there intangible benefits that you know of in either models? I might assume that as each year progressed the cars improved. I once read that you buy the newest porsche your money can get you...(if you're buying a porsche)
If you had to pick which one to buy and both were in same condition, what would be the better choice? price only?
thanks,

simply, NSX NA1 received many councils and tests on road of Ayrton SENNA, light weight, not of power-assisted steering, not of automatic gear box… etc at the request of SENNA, after its death, Honda transformed the car to increase comfort, the NA2 has a larger engine but it is heavier, it lost spirit of has SENNA!

Back