• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

tesla s signature

The car looks nice, it's fast, priced right (although I haven't seen the interior but I heard it's competing with the BMW 5 series), I think it's going to be a hit!

I wonder how the "real world" mileage numbers are. A Roadster rated at 245 miles get about 150. With the extra weight, the Model S might be seeing the same numbers.

I like it a lot. It's very room because there is no engine, no differential, transmission, etc. The interior is spectacular, and it is not that expensive. I hope tesla does well with it. I like Elon Musk as as person too the guy is very bright and very humble and I hope he does well. Tesla also has Toyota as a minor partner.

A far as speed, electrics have a ton of potential.

Tesla took a huge risk and ditched the hybrid ice motor to go full electric unlike the volt, the Prius, the karma. I was at a light and watched an orange roadster destroy an slk55 amg in a drag race. In total silence. It was awesome. I had a huge smile on my face. Their 0-30 is incredible!

Elon Muskis a master manipulator. Each journalist only got 10 minutes to review the car so that no one would be able to figure out what the range actually is. Time will tell, but I would place a bet than actual range 1 year into ownership is slightly more than 50% of the claim. Li batteries quickly lose their original capacity and then slowly lose more and more as time goes by. That is why your new laptop rocks for the first month, then gets 80%. A year later you are about 70% or less of the original time and slowly goes down from there.

Last edited:
it is not that expensive.

:confused: My understanding is that every one of the Model S that leaves the plant will be a "Signature" edition. The "base" price is with the $7500 tax credit so you are looking at close to $100k. Even though they claim they are only making 1000 "Signature" editions - mark my words, we won't see any regular $49,999 editions rolling down the street anytime soon if at all. I think the regular edition is pure PR so they can claim they have an affordable electric all the while they are cranking out $100k cars.

Last edited:
It gets 200 miles per charge at about $4 per charge. At $.02 a mile that's a huge annual savings on petrol. At $3.50 per gallon, say 25mpg (sports car/sedan average) and an average 12K miles per year, you're spending $1680 a year on gas and only $240 on electricity to charge the Tesla. Sounds very green and $$$ saving to me. Battery and motor life come in to play here too though.

Last edited:
Elon Muskis a master manipulator. Each journalist only got 10 minutes to review the car so that no one would be able to figure out what the range actually is. Time will tell, but I would place a bet than actual range 1 year into ownership is slightly more than 50% of the claim. Li batteries quickly lose their original capacity and then slowly lose more and more as time goes by. That is why your new laptop rocks for the first month, then gets 80%. A year later you are about 70% or less of the original time and slowly goes down from there.

Laptop batteries are drained to zero then charged to 100%. If you keep them between 20-80 they last much much longer. I don't think it's quite the same. You don't think a big company like that has come up with a solution and that they are selling cars that will just fail and put them out of business? I'm sure in time all kinds of journalists will get more driving time.

I understand your point but I think having all those engineers on staff, this was one of the first issues to be tackled. The question seems rather elementary.

:confused: My understanding is that every one of the Model S that leaves the plant will be a "Signature" edition. The "base" price is with the $7500 tax credit so you are looking at close to $100k. Even though they claim they are only making 1000 "Signature" editions - mark my words, we won't see any regular $49,999 editions rolling down the street anytime soon if at all. I think the regular edition is pure PR so they can claim they have an affordable electric all the while they are cranking out $100k cars.

Jim, the website clearly says $69,900 for signature model after tax credit. I understand it's after the credit but it's still a credit you do get so the cost to the end user is 49,99-69,900.

Jim, the website clearly says $69,900 for signature model after tax credit. I understand it's after the credit but it's still a credit you do get so the cost to the end user is 49,99-69,900.

Dave, check again. $87,900 -$97,900 (after credit) for the signature and signature performance + options. The 50-70k is for the regular model S.

www.teslamotors.com/models/options

They claim to have orders for 10,000 model S cars. Claim being the key word.

Last edited:
Dave, check again. $87,900 -$97,900 (after credit) for the signature and signature performance + options. The 50-70k is for the regular model S.

www.teslamotors.com/models/options

They claim to have orders for 10,000 model S cars. Claim being the key word.

Yeah you're right. But do you blame them for getting the more expensive ones out first? It's what I'd do. And if I wanted to buy one I'd wait for the dust to settle.

If it's reliable, it will crush the 20,000 units a year sales target. Crush.

If it's reliable, it will crush the 20,000 units a year sales target. Crush.

Idk about that. The volt is selling about 10,000 a year I think. The karma is at about 5000. The leaf is about the same. Yes, this is a different animal but 20,000 is optimistic.

Idk about that. The volt is selling about 10,000 a year I think. The karma is at about 5000. The leaf is about the same. Yes, this is a different animal but 20,000 is optimistic.

This car has nothing to do with a Chevy Volt or the Nissan Leaf. The Karma does not have near the following or capital as far as I am aware of; plus it is come out with many technical issues. I also think it's much more expensive.

There are Tesla stores in malls all around the country. It had a recent big IPO as well. Again, if it is not reliable or gets substantial bad press early on, everything is off the table and it could fail.

Personally, I don't see much competition in the 50-60k range for what this car delivers as a total package (new).

Last edited:
This car has nothing to do with a Chevy Volt or the Nissan Leaf. The Karma does not have near the following or capital as far as I am aware of; plus it is come out with many technical issues. I also think it's much more expensive.

There are Tesla stores in malls all around the country. It had a recent big IPO as well. Again, if it is not reliable or gets substantial bad press early on, everything is off the table and it could fail.

Personally, I don't see much competition in the 50-60k range for what this car delivers as a total package (new).

Yeah but it looks like the signature S is almost 100K, that's within range of the Karma. Hey I hope they do sell 20,000 but that's a lot for a car this expensive and this new.

Yeah but it looks like the signature S is almost 100K, that's within range of the Karma. Hey I hope they do sell 20,000 but that's a lot for a car this expensive and this new.

Production of the 50, 60, 70k models are set to begin in November and December. At full production they expect to produce 80/day; which is 29,200 if they produced 365 days. Tesla states only 1000 signatures will be made, so my assumption is the remaining vehicles will be of the less expensive variety.

I don't believe the 50k model is a PR move as the biggest difference between vehicles is the size of the battery. Most of the other differences are options (selected at purchase), or cosmetic differences to the trim that vary with model, which shouldn't be difficult to change depending on demand.

The volt is a 40k Chevy Cruze with a fancy electrical system. Its reasonable to cross shop a Volt with a Prius, and as the Prius costs half as much the eonomics don't bear out for the Volt. Neither the Prius or Volt have anywhere near as much "sexiness" as the entry level Model S. I don't think its unreasonable to cross shop the Model S with other mid/full size luxury vehicles (3/5 series, a5, GS etc.), none of which have any exclusivity to them.

Seems to me that shatt is correct, if it's reliable, it will sell 20k units easily. Im interested to see what GM does with the Volt in 2013. If you can afford a 40k Volt, you can likely swing a 50K Model S. I'll go out on a limb and guess most current Volt owners selected the Volt over alternatives such as the Prius, for the ability to go all electric. Since the base model S gives you 160 miles vs 40-50 for the volt, I see early adopter market for the volt, which is already low, evaporating.

Well at 50-60k I agree. That target is reachable. I agree with your post, sounds very reasonable the way you put it. Hey I'm all for it, I hope they sell 100,000. American company building an innovative product... I think it's awesome.

Well at 50-60k I agree. That target is reachable. I agree with your post, sounds very reasonable the way you put it. Hey I'm all for it, I hope they sell 100,000. American company building an innovative product... I think it's awesome.

hey i wonder if electric cars need air?
if they don't, they might run OK on the moon.
might make a cool commercial, some guy in a spacesuit pulling up to his lunar landing craft in a tesla.

hey i wonder if electric cars need air?
if they don't, they might run OK on the moon.
might make a cool commercial, some guy in a spacesuit pulling up to his lunar landing craft in a tesla.

Electric cars have already run on the Moon and these did just fine! :biggrin:

apollo-17-lunar-rover-001.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, people should be pushing for cheap solar.
When everyone has 'free' surplus electricity from the solar panels on their roof, electric cars will sell themselves.

IMO, people should be pushing for cheap solar.
When everyone has 'free' surplus electricity from the solar panels on their roof, electric cars will sell themselves.

My sister already does this. Her solar panels produce more than the house uses. She is thinking of a tesla, essentially she will get to work free. Free as in zero cost, and free as in zero carbon emissions. Powered by the sun! It's pretty cool.

My sister already does this. Her solar panels produce more than the house uses. She is thinking of a tesla, essentially she will get to work free. Free as in zero cost, and free as in zero carbon emissions. Powered by the sun! It's pretty cool.

I hope one day many have this reality. As someone familiar with the output of solar panels, we should be clear. Unless your sister lives in a small home or a place that requires limited air conditioning/heating, she would need a very large ($$,$$$) solar array to power her home and the car. On top of that, while the U.S. is one of the best nations situated for solar, only about 25-35% of U.S. area is "ideal" for solar.

I hope one day many have this reality. As someone familiar with the output of solar panels, we should be clear. Unless your sister lives in a small home or a place that requires limited air conditioning/heating, she would need a very large ($$,$$$) solar array to power her home and the car. On top of that, while the U.S. is one of the best nations situated for solar, only about 25-35% of U.S. area is "ideal" for solar.

Even still: solar power is like wind. As long as the cost of maintenance is less than the total revenue/savings from solar power, it's basically free. Even if you're only getting a little bit of it, it's still something for "nothing." I was thinking about this yesterday. ALL electric cars should have some form of solar power on their roofs. Why not? What could it hurt? It may not keep up with consumption, but it will slow it down.

If I have the opportunity, I'm definitely going to put solar panels on my roof when I get into my own house. Heck, I might even start now by putting trickle chargers in my apartment windows :D

Back