• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The best exhaust system???

sir, we are planning to change the exhaust system of our 1991 NSX. Whats the cheapest but yet will add up more HPs and would produce an F1 sound? I just bought a Gruppe M Carbon Fiber Intake......Thank you guys.

Producing the F1 sound AND getting more horsepower is a challenge on the NSX. There isn't enough piping to fix/improve upon flow in the exhaust / muffler design to get signficant gains in HP.

You get some extra HP with aftermarket exhausts, but not much. So, then it comes down to what sound you want. You can get closer to the F1 sound; however, that normally requires more piping in the exhaust design, not less - thereby impacting your ability to maximize horsepower.

So what I'm saying is: If you could choose only one -either maximizing HP or closest to F1 sound, which would you choose? That will help narrow down exhaust options.

Last edited:
Not this again.... F1 sound?

This is the only NSX that sounds like a F1. All the rest sound like an NSX with a very subtle pitch difference - GT One included. Sorry, but a V6 with a 8000 rpm redline is NOT going to sound like a 19k rpm F1 engine no matter what you do with the exhaust.

<object width="441" height="248"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1785089&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1785089&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="441" height="248"></embed></object>

Last edited:
not this again.... F1 sound?

This is the only nsx that sounds like a f1. All the rest sound like an nsx with a very subtle pitch difference - gt one included. Sorry, but a v6 with a 8000 rpm redline is not going to sound like a 19k rpm f1 engine no matter what you do with the exhaust.

<object height="248" width="441">

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1785089&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="248" width="441"></object>

rofl!

I really liked the sound and look of the AP-X system.

2nd. I have it on my NSX and every single person that has heard it has loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYoTM0jd9_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBb1LFKcEs

I'm probably going to hit the dyno sometime in April to see what sort of power it makes, but just by looking at the thing you can tell that it's likely to be much more effective than any GT-One/Bel Canto/Taitec FN09 etc simply because it's not a spaghetti exhaust. Granted I've never heard a GT-One in person, but just judging from what I see in videos, the AP-X isn't nearly as horribly raspy sounding.

Last edited:
C'mon GUYS! Everyone knows that this is hands down THE BEST EXHAUST!!!! :biggrin: EL FARTO :biggrin:

elfarto1.JPG

sir, we are planning to change the exhaust system of our 1991 NSX. Whats the cheapest but yet will add up more HPs and would produce an F1 sound? I just bought a Gruppe M Carbon Fiber Intake......Thank you guys.

Exhaust is very very personal although since you want a F1 sound it's isn't going to be cheap. (anyway i see your in Japan so that would make it a bit cheaper)

FN-09 from TaiTec comes to mind but then again it isn't cheap.
If you want a relatively cheap but good exhaust go for a TaiTec.

For starters, the NSX and most other cars sound better with an X-pipe exhaust where the pipes from both opposing cylinder banks merge together to tighten up the exhaust pulses, minimize the drone and better balance the harmonics.

This is easily proven with those "American" V-8s that sound all loose, hollow and rumbling with H-pipes or straight out the back from both sides

Throw in an X-pipe and voila! the car sounds more like a Ferrari with the tighter and higher pitch exhaust note.

Theres nothing that will give you more HP and "F1 sound" at a cheap price.

Gruppe M V3 is high pitched and will probably free up more HP than any other exhaust because it has the straightest plumbing (Acchieved by removing the cats)
But its not cheap.

GruppeM V3 gets my vote too.

Not this again.... F1 sound?

This is the only NSX that sounds like a F1. All the rest sound like an NSX with a very subtle pitch difference - GT One included. Sorry, but a V6 with a 8000 rpm redline is NOT going to sound like a 19k rpm F1 engine no matter what you do with the exhaust.

<EMBED height=248 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=441 src=http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1785089&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

That is histarical. Thanks for the laugh!

What matters to me is HP and acceleration off the line since lets face it, the NSX doesnt exactly launch like an F18 off a nuclear carrier.

Everytime I see treads about superchargers, they always mention headers and exhaust... but then reputable people say that headers and exhaust really dont do much on the NSX. Is it worth it, from a performance aspect to upgrade these systems? Or should you focus on SC/Turbo?

Jman

That is histarical. Thanks for the laugh!

What matters to me is HP and acceleration off the line since lets face it, the NSX doesnt exactly launch like an F18 off a nuclear carrier.

Everytime I see treads about superchargers, they always mention headers and exhaust... but then reputable people say that headers and exhaust really dont do much on the NSX. Is it worth it, from a performance aspect to upgrade these systems? Or should you focus on SC/Turbo?

Jman

It is absolutely worth it to upgrade the entire exhaust on the OP's '91. Those reputable people may be talking about the relatively decent headers that came stock on the later model cars, but the OP's '91 came with very restrictive exhaust manifolds from the factory.

It is absolutely worth it to upgrade the entire exhaust on the OP's '91. Those reputable people may be talking about the relatively decent headers that came stock on the later model cars, but the OP's '91 came with very restrictive exhaust manifolds from the factory.

Agreed. However, I can tell you that I upgraded my OEM 2000 to Top Speed headers (due to a crack in the OEM) and my max speed at the end of the straight at my "home" track was exactly the same as before +/- 1 mph.

Back