• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Negatives of the NSX 2.0

you won't be able to get one for 230k. that's used car price. if you are able to find a brand new 458 for 230k, the owner of Ferrari dealer must be your buddy since childhood.

Last edited:
o yea nvm, ive been looking at 458 spiders for myself lol
but the 458t maybe in the 300 range

you won't be able to get one for 230k. that's used car price.

The spyders have been selling over MSRP used or not, but AFAIK there is no backlog or premium on the now nearly 5 year old coupe (italia) which has a MSRP of $237K.

Can this new Honda hang with the 5 year old Ferrari? Remember we haven't seen much proof of record breaking performance or handling except for it being followed on the track by what looked like a stock 1994 Supra and the ring one that burned to the ground.

don't take it offensively. seriously, if 230k gets a brand new 458, used car price will be much lower. it's just my opinion. let's not get into another argument. This thread is about NEGATIVEs. LOL

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, the price scares me. But what I find completely unacceptable is that they STILL aren't releasing specs. Which means this is STILL preproduction. WTF!?

Are there really a lot of sports car choices around $160k? I know there aren't a lot of mid-engine 2 seat choices...

well said on all points.

Production numbers will be limited. Ted confirmed that. It will keep demand higher than supply, and $150k isn't an issue for those who want it and and can afford it. There are plenty people that can afford that, and the rest will lease it, like they did in 1991. Back in 1991, the price was $60k. That was about half the cost of an average home. Is $150k about half the cost of an average home today??? well?
I know plenty of people that have spent >$100k on cars with much less technology that this has. There isn't a shortage of people to buy this car.

There is still plenty unknown about this car. The fact that Acura released a new production car without a final price tag, is pretty stupid. The second question is always "how much?", right after, "horse power?". Without those answers being available today, it is still a pre-release.

What I have seen, I like. It is New, Sport, and eXperimental. It is a leap of technology. Only Porsche 918 has this level of technology in the drive train, and it sells for $1M. It will be a pleasure to drive, it looks to be set up for track and it will turn heads. What else do you want?

I really want to see it in person (I have seen the concept). Can't wait until Top Gear gets a hold of it... I agree it's high priced. It won't be available to me new format least another 5 years and more than likely I will be a second hand off lease buyer. You can also sign me up for the "non-center" kit SOS should start working on now. Remember primers, it's tough to repeat the original perfection... Overall, I think I like it. I agree with the person who stated why show the engine with how little was shown, I am not sure why they did that.

The original NSX had understated, elegant lines which have aged well over two and a half decades. IMO the new car has a noncohesive, busy, fanboyish, appearance that could be out of style by the time it is in buyers hands. It is an improvement over the previous concepts but most of that is because of the wheels. Some of the details still look incomplete. I don't really dislike it but doubt it will ultimately have the impact of the original. In many ways the styling of the new FGT has trumped it already--albeit, it is a concept not a pre-production model.

Here is an example of a modern, clean design effort. (Yes, it has been posted before.)

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/08/28/aston-martin-dbc-mid-engine-concept/

Last edited:
I want to like it more, but the front is too busy, and 550 HP total including all the hybrid electric power train's contribution is just not enough, since 550 HP will not be available continuously on track for example. It doesn't rev high enough, at 7,500 RPM. And the price?? Who is going into the Acura dealer that sells zero sports cars and be dropping $155k or more? People here have a few of their numbers wrong. When GT-R came out, price was $69k, not $80-85k. There have been dealer incentives on the 2014's and 2015's of $10,000 off so you can buy a brand new one for about $90k with a small discount off the current list price, and 545 HP, V6 twin turbo, no hybrid, DCT and a very fast Ring time, plus killer performance on track. I was at the Penske dealership at the Wynn hotel during the last SEMA show, and they had four used 458 Ferrari coupes for $220k with almost no mileage on them, and some had north of $50k in options, and it revs to 9,000 RPM, and looks a ton better than the new NSX. No funny nose, no extra weight from the hybrid power train, and nearly 600 normally aspirated HP. By the time the NSX is out, 458 replacement might be out and you could get a low mileage 458 for well under $200k. That is what I would buy for that kind of money. And the Corvette, I bought one of those too when I heard the rumour of the very high NSX 2.0 price, and it is a fantastic car I paid in the $50's for, with the Z51 option to go with my GT-R and my old 93 NSX. New Z06 with 650 HP is $79k, all aluminum chassis.

Not going to be springing for a new NSX at the price they want, but I so would want the new Ford GT. Now that actually does look like a supercar.

we are still a year out from deliveries and usually with new car debuts the magazines have already been testing them or at least getting pre-production cars to wet the appetites of the public...with this car all we have are spy shots from the ring of BBq and back at hq two poor souls wandering around without their underwear on after flipping the car.... Ted et.al. are clearly behind the curve

I think the NSX 2.0 is the opposite of NSX 1.0 in terms of exterior styling. When the first NSX came out it was 60k and looked 100k. NSX 2.0 is +/- 150k but looks 90k. I keep looking at it from different angles to try to love it. The original looked good from any angle. Design wise, it looks like it should be priced against a GTR or a Z06. It definitely looks sporty, but I wouldn't call it 150k supercar/exotic worthy. This car is designed by the same women than penned the ZDX, and gets a lot of influences from "shoes". Remember the first NSX was initially commissioned by Honda to be designed with Pinnifarina, and then finally penned by Ken Okuyama whom also designed the Ferrari Enzo. How Honda allowed the venerable NSX to be designed by this women after a long awaited hiatus is beyond me. This is the NSX, not a soccer moms luxury SUV. I don't care if it is designed by a man or a women, but at least by someone who has a record of supercar designs. My heart sank even more when the Ford GT was unveiled. While I understand the Ford is in its' early stages of development, overall it screams exotic. Now I don't expect it to look like a Zonda or Koenigsegg, at its' price point, but at least be on par with say a McLaren 12c. And the NSX concepts' interior was nearly perfect, now not ruined but definitely downgraded.

I think 155k is on the high end for the coupe. Maybe it's a good price for a possible Hard Top foldable convertible version. 125k would have been more reasonable and then gradually increase the price, like the GTR which went from 69k to 101k. I'm fine spending 150k if it's the drop top version and the exterior was supercar worthy while retaining the concepts interior. But in it's present form, I just can't get myself to do it. While at that price point there are many other options, I'm actually saddened. I kept telling myself I'm gonna be surprised when the "production" version finally debuts, only to be disappointed. I keep trying to love it, but the more I look at it the more it looks like a glorified Accord coupe. Technology and power wise I'm 100% satisfied.

Seriously, before performance is even revealed. What kind of car offers 458 looks, performance and experience at $150K? Plenty of people will buy up the limited production and it's clearly not in this board. Others, wait for the $60K 4 cylinder S2000.

The new NSX is gorgeous, exotic looking and commands attention along with it's exotic exhaust sound. You can't say the reveal clip of the gent walking up to silhouette of the NSX didn't get you excited with the audio turned up. What other car at $150K can deliver NSX exotic stance as promised and performance/experience that is purported to exceed the 458/GTR? The German designed R8 or 911 will never look as exotic and the Huracan does but it's in a different price range. The NSX interior alone is the most passionate I've seen out of all of the aforementioned cars so far (Just dial down the two-tone a bit).

The affordable McLaren is the only wild card but only time will tell. I bet the interior and fit/finish/tolerances will be questionable compared to Honda.

The new GT is beautiful, but where are the complaints of the Supercharged V8 dropped for a Truck/Mustang TT V6??? And the interior is atrociously simple. Looks like something from Equilibrium or some other Utopian B movie theme.

NSX 1.0 was almost exactly half the price of the equvalent Ferrari at the time, and it arguably outshined it in every way except the engine.

NSX 2.0 is going to be more like 80% of the price of the 458 Ferrari. That's not insignificant. And honestly, in looks, power, price and performance I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all.

This thing is fast heading on it's way into LFA territory in the pile of short lived curiosity cars. With McLaren, the new Lambos, Audi R8, Ferrari and Porsche all fighting for the doctors and lawyers who can afford these, the Honda is going to be left way behind.

If you have the cash for a $180K car, which is what this will be even moderately optioned NSX will be, you'll probably skip over your local Acura dealer's cute little electric hybrid car.

Honda 'fanboys' will leap even hardered into the GTR club, and the exotic guys won't have any interest in a V6 hyrbid semi-exotic Honda.

This is very biased.
First, if NSX 2.0 is '80% price of a 458', and assuming NSX 2.0 costs $155k, then a brand new 458 is 194k. You dream or learn some math.
Second, 'I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all'. Why? Look at bmw i8, it achieves 0-60 in 3.8 sec (by motor trend). And i8 only has 380hp. That's the magic of electric motor and instant torque. With nearly 200hp more than i8, it's not surprising that NSX 2.0 can do 0-60 in 3 sec or even sub 3 sec. How can't NSX 2.0 be a competitor of 458?

I'm not going to lie, the price scares me. But what I find completely unacceptable is that they STILL aren't releasing specs. Which means this is STILL preproduction. WTF!?

IT ALL STARTS NOW*

*actual starting will take place Fall '15

I think one of the biggest negatives of the new NSX is that it has turned the NSX community into a bunch of nitpickers and whiners... :(

This thing is out, like it or not. I'm just happy Honda is back making sportscars.

Can we get back to the love of our cars now?

The new Ford GT makes this NSX look very tame.

Actually, when I look at the new Ford GT I basically see an old school car that still uses a simple ICE engine and a RWD lay-out.
Apart from going to a V6 instead of a V8 (for economy I'm sure), I don't see much that's really new in the GT.

The first NSX was a showcase of new technologies for Honda and this models seems to duplicate that.

This is very biased.
First, if NSX 2.0 is '80% price of a 458', and assuming NSX 2.0 costs $155k, then a brand new 458 is 194k. You dream or learn some math.
Second, 'I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all'. Why? Look at bmw i8, it achieves 0-60 in 3.8 sec (by motor trend). And i8 only has 380hp. That's the magic of electric motor and instant torque. With nearly 200hp more than i8, it's not surprising that NSX 2.0 can do 0-60 in 3 sec or even sub 3 sec. How can't NSX 2.0 be a competitor of 458?

these supercars aren't traffic lights racers

Actually, when I look at the new Ford GT I basically see an old school car that still uses a simple ICE engine and a RWD lay-out.
Apart from going to a V6 instead of a V8 (for economy I'm sure), I don't see much that's really new in the GT.

The first NSX was a showcase of new technologies for Honda and this models seems to duplicate that.

I think the new Ford GT ans NSX 2.0 are different cars for different missions. The NSX is a supercar designed to be daily driven and affords some "luxuries" that have become typical of the brand. The Ford GT is a fair weather niche car that will see limited driving. It doesn't have air conditioning so the days that it can be comfortably used here in Texas will be limited. Summer is totally out of the question!

Last edited:
The rear does not have a clean uncluttered aspect. It is difficult to remember exactly what it looks like once you look away.
I figured out where they got the inspiration for that "I'm not sure how we should to wrap-up the backside" rear end...1997 Acura CL!

Last edited:
NSX 1.0 was almost exactly half the price of the equvalent Ferrari at the time, and it arguably outshined it in every way except the engine.

NSX 2.0 is going to be more like 80% of the price of the 458 Ferrari. That's not insignificant. And honestly, in looks, power, price and performance I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all.

This thing is fast heading on it's way into LFA territory in the pile of short lived curiosity cars. With McLaren, the new Lambos, Audi R8, Ferrari and Porsche all fighting for the doctors and lawyers who can afford these, the Honda is going to be left way behind.

If you have the cash for a $180K car, which is what this will be even moderately optioned NSX will be, you'll probably skip over your local Acura dealer's cute little electric hybrid car.

Honda 'fanboys' will leap even hardered into the GTR club, and the exotic guys won't have any interest in a V6 hyrbid semi-exotic Honda.

It's hard to find a near new 458 spider for under $275k; most sell for well above 300k brand new. The coupe does MSRP around $240 but rarely leaves the showroom below $260k based on what I've read. Conservatively it'll be 65% the price. I'm not sure if it will be any slower either; for that we'll need to wait for additional data.

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest negatives of the new NSX is that it has turned the NSX community into a bunch of nitpickers and whiners... :(

This thing is out, like it or not. I'm just happy Honda is back making sportscars.

Can we get back to the love of our cars now?

You might as well sit back and get comfortable. Prime is going to be one big bitch fest for the foreseeable future about this car.

Back