• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the new king of the road

Ryanmcd2 said:
This car is going to be the best track car for the next 5 years, also the aftermarket support is going to be huge. I may get one because of the power and support. Keep your 10 year old NSX and keep telling yourself how good it is when I fly past you on the track.
If you think a car is the only thing you need to "fly" past someone on a track, I feel very very sorry for you.

nsxmofo said:
exactly. i wanted the nsx for a very personal reason and a 12yr old dream, not to mention stuffing it in the face of the dealer that didn't let me touch the damn car when it came out in 1991. same sales rep got my 2cents about respect when i went in to pick up the nsx in 2003.

as for honda, well they've failed us all - not keeping up with the times and the market. expensive technology for technology sake does not a supercar make. i don't care what car it is. the new z06 sets the standard in my book in terms of price/performance. it makes other makers think twice about, "how do i get the most power in the hands of people who'll enjoy it for what it truely is."

You'd better drive it before you make these claims. :wink:

I try to keep a funny face on to hide the deep seeded pain from my childhood. :smile:

Attachments

• s%20not%20that%20funny.jpg
    s%20not%20that%20funny.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 274
you see...as i had predicted, the topic is controversial. thus the thread. fact is you're all contradicting yourselves. you get an nsx and what's the first thing you do (i do it too)? mods mods and more mods and we chase that dyno sheet to kingdom come searching for that 10hp from a CAI or another 5hp for a muffler. for what? the love of it...you know it, so you can all admit it. fact is we're all tweakers and tuners in our own psycho minds anyway and can't stand the fact that something else better may come along the way and give us a does of reality and we ask ourselves, "what the hell did i just spend another $3k on parts for???" yes, you've asked that question already a million times. i certainly have asked myself many times on every car i add parts to to make it go fast or look better.

how many times have we justified to ourselves and a guy with the freaking sti and a few $ of mods for bigger turbos beat the pants off of us? or a civic with a hybrid approach smokes us on the street or track for that matter? well that sti or civic guy is saying the same thing to us as we are saying to the other boys. the funny thing is i'm on the m3 forums as well since i also have an '04 m3 smg and have posted the same thread and guess what? exact same result...m3 owners pisses on the new z06 citing similar if not the exact same thing, "POS american made car..." blah blah blah and comparing it to the great german engineering and the how refined the interior or the way the windows roll up and down or even how the doors are solid, etc. etc. etc. yet at the same time they all discuss and debate on how to do FI effectively to get 400hp to the wheels without blowing up their motors. it's the same story no matter where you go. even the ferrarichat forum produces the same sentiments.

the reality is chevy didn't just dominate american le mans series for 4 yrs straight with the c6r teams taking home this season's victories in 1-2-3 constantly for nothing. i don't see nsx running there. someone will say, "oh but the nsx kills it in jgtc!" in fact this year's jgtc series hasn't given the results that the nsx teams were looking for as they had in the past. for every point there's a counter point. the old adage of race on sunday and sell on monday still holds true in today's techno whizbang world and even more so. you can't knock chevy for what it has done to the z06 based on proven technology on sunday and transferred it very well to monday. credit should be given where credit is due. i've given credit to honda after 12yrs by picking up my own nsx. now i'm giving some credit to chevy.

if the waitress suggests the special of today is supreme filet mignon on a rock or grill fresh #8 shrimps, and you're starving marvin and you just got paid. would you be tempted to eat both? i'm sure the thought at least crosses your mind.

we can all say how great the f360 or f430 or various porsche models and lambos etc. are. reality is most of us can't afford to get one and still remain practical. can i pick up a new f430 tomorrow? you bet i can, but do i really want to? hell no...i got 2 kids heading off to harvard in 6yrs - that's more important to me than anything else. until they're off on their own mission for speed at their own affordability levels, i'll take the biggest bang for the buck i can get that would put a smile on my face.

as someone said, i get to have both. maybe i'm just lucky or maybe i'm just crazy but it's a matter of choice and that's the beauty of it all...it's the american way. controversy is good - it makes us think. i find myself debating with the nsx-haters all the time and protecting the nsx as much as i do the s2k or the m3 or soon the z06...just a matter of when to wear which hat :wink:

i love the debate by the way...very enjoyable. carry on...and in the meantime, enjoy this: car only has 71miles on the o.d. puts out these crazy numbers. just think what it will be when it's fully broken in.

492.2 rwhp 472.3 rwtq

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6&postcount=87

video of the dyno sessions:

http://www.lgmracing.com/c6zo6.wmv

Last edited:
nsxmofo said:
you see...as i had predicted, the topic is controversial. thus the thread. ...
The topic is not controversial. The way you choose to come across is controversial.

We're happy, may I say impressed, that you're able to have both a Z06 and a NSX? :rolleyes:

When you exclaim that you're going "NSX hunting" and choose to imply something that most NSX owners don't care about, you come across as a troll.

We all acknowledge that the Z06 is a fine car. Nay, a great car. So what?

Some of us like hamburgers, and some like sushi. You may get fuller sooner with a burger, but those of us who choose to eat slower with sushi may enjoy it more. The end result is the same - we all get full.

So enjoy your Z06, if and when you get it. Just don't expect the rest of us to be sitting in envy, thinking how great you are, since you like to boast on the NSX board. I mean, that's the point of your original post, wasn't it?

Attachments

• chatter.gif
    chatter.gif
    7 KB · Views: 290
NsXMas said:
So enjoy your Z06, if and when you get it. Just don't expect the rest of us to be sitting in envy, thinking how great you are, since you like to boast on the NSX board. I mean, that's the point of your original post, wasn't it?

on the contrary, not at all. the point is to draw out the interesting emotions :biggrin: "nsx hunting" is to poke fun at myself...

here...this is how i have fun with it all. what one gm engineer said to another...

dsc00974a7ly.jpg

nsxmofo said:
on the contrary, not at all. the point is to draw out the interesting emotions :redface:

here...this is how i have fun with it all. what one gm engineer said to another...
I apologize if I come across as overly harsh. I'm so tired of people who bash on the NSX as if we NSX owners have something to apologize for.

I spent several days at Bondurant driving their C5s on the track. I have test driven the C6 and think it's pretty nice. I didn't find the experience compelling enough for me to buy a C6 to add to my stable.

The Z06 is simply incredible, for the money. I'm very interested in seeing what Honda does with the HSC.

Enjoy your Z06. We'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the car after you've had it a while.

not a problem at all. it's interesting to see the thoughts. trust me - i smile a very personal smile everytime i walk into my garage and see the nsx sitting there in all its glory, knowing how lucky i am to be alive.

reality is...z06 is a hold over for me until the new nsx comes out :D

interesting...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-6750.html

1/4 Mile ET: 11.670
1/4 Mile MPH: 125.270
1/8 Mile ET: 7.488
1/8 Mile MPH: 98.580
0-60 Foot ET: 1.880
Temperature F: 71.0

based on that and with just tuned headers adding another 40-50hp and 60ft-lbs, the car is capable of 11 or hi 10's...holy mofos!

incredible.

06vs04dynos.gif

427zdyno.gif

interesting write up from a new owner...copy/paste here for you.

-----

My impressions so far...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, now that I've had my new Z06 for ~20 hours I figured I'd post some driving impressions of the car.

First, the interior. The seats are first class IMHO. FINALLY a vette with seats that are up to par. The leather feels nice, the bolsters on the sides actually hold you, and they seats are damn comfortable. Now, the rest of the interior is okay, a lot better than the C5 in some ways and a bit worse in others. What's better? Well the materials, like for example the top of the dash, is actually a nice soft-touch grainy vinyl, a nice upgrade over the C5's hard touch vinyl/plastic whatever it was. I hate the silver painted wannabe-metal plastic on the center console. But I guess I'll live with it. I also hate how my passengers can never get out of the car when I want to drop them off, because the doors auto lock at X mph and don't auto unlock when you pull the handbrake. Maybe there's a window valet for the C6 to fix that like there was for the C5; hopefully. Or maybe they should just make the car listen to the damn electronic door handles on the inside and assume if you're trying to get out maybe you actually WANT to get out?! Sorry for ranting. Other niggles: the climate control on bi-level directs too much air to the feet and too little to the face, so even though I loved bi-level on the C5 I find myself using just the face vents on the C6.. and I also hate the way the radio makes you have individual bass/treble presets for each source/preset. That's gonna take me half an hour to program. Nice. I also really miss the partition I had in my C5 Z06, so I could throw my digital camera and CD's behind me and they didn't fly all the way to the back every time I accelerated.

OK, now that the interior's out of the way, let's get to the good stuff. (1) Brakes.. Since I only have 85 miles on the car, I didn't want to push the non-bedded-in brake pads too hard and test the ABS calibration / etc yet... but I can tell you, the one or two times I did hit the brakes rather hard, the cars stopped damn well. That having been said, the brakes are NOT grabby. At first I was disappointed and thought the brakes felt like they needed too much effort.. that's improved a bit sine the first drive, and I also realized it's a good thing they aren't so overboosted as on most cars so you can modulate better.

Handling? It's incredible. Way better than my C5 Z06, even with the 2004 Z06 "Nurburbring" shocks. The ride is a bit stiffer than my old car, but the handling is leaps and bounds better. High speed bumps that would send my C5 Z06 yawing/bumpsteering, or maybe catching air and bouncing.... this car takes in stride without even getting its line upset. It actually soaks up bumps rather than launching off of them -- the shock valving on this car is incredible. The only other car I've ever driven that felt this good was the E39 ///M5.

Now for the best part...... that beautiful engine. There are not enough words to describe this masterpiece of a small block. When the car starts, it fires up with a mean, loud bark from the mufflers before the muffler valves have a chance to close (more on this later). Then it gets quiet. REAL quiet. This is another way the car reminds me of the E39 ///M5 -- it sounds just like one inside the car when tooling around at low revs / low throttle openings. But, get on the throttle a little bit, and it's clear this is no M5 or base C6. It takes a bit to get used to the quirky electronic throttle (it's not as smooth or direct as the C5's was, but it's still pretty good).. The power is incredible. GM increased the torque of the engine and the gearing by about the same amount, so each gear *feels* about the same as it did in the old car.. (except for 3rd, for some reason 3rd in this car feels incredible and pulls way harder than it should considering it goes to 125MPH). The difference is, although 2nd in the new Z pulls about the same as 2nd in the old Z... 2nd now is your 60-95mph racing gear, whereas on the old Z 2nd ended at 70 and the old car was in 3rd at that point. This car rockets from 60 to 95 in 2nd like nothing I've experienced.. today on the freeway I downshifted to 2nd at 65 and floored it from a roll and it actually barked the tires for a quick moment before approaching redline (95mph) within a couple seconds.. This is WITHOUT any clutch action. GM was very smart to put such tall gearing on the car -- it allows the engine's massive power and torque to be useable, rather than just leaving you sitting there spinning the tires.

One thing that just cracks me up about this car is how easy it is to make it loud, if you want. There's a fuse under the passenger side footwell labeled as a "spare" fuse, both in the owner's manual and in the fuse cover. Remove it and the exhaust flaps stay open, with no engine codes or anything. Under that mode, it is loud as hell and damn raw at low revs, and especially at 600RPM idle the entire cabin resonates. I ran like that for a few hours and switched it back.

All in all, this is the best car I've ever driven. They took the C5 Z06, fixed the bad quirks (****ty brakes including oversensitive ABS and sliding calipres, horrible bump steer suspension geometry, and questionable suspension stability and damping), added a bunch of power, let it weigh the exact same, and only screwed up a couple small things here and there, and for the price and the performance, those things REALLY don't matter.

Gotta go for a drive...

Andi
'98 Quicksilver Supra Turbo, Sold
Boostaholic.com
OneLapSupra.com

the owner followed up with another write up.

-----

My impressions so far, part 2...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK time for an update...

- The clutch is pretty nice. Now that it's broken in a bit (~350 miles), some of the chatter has gone away. It's still not as smooth a clutch as my '04 Z06 had, i.e. if you slip it at 800RPM to get moving you will get a slight bit of chatter (bucking)... but overall it's not bad. I actually kind of like the light pedal now, easier to drive in traffic. Girls will definitely like this clutch over the C5 clutch...

- Handling... Earlier I wrote the damping and ride are way better. This is true. However, the low speed handling of the car is not as tossable. It's harder to get the car sideways because those 325's really want to stay planted. I'm going to experiment with tire pressures and alignment to see if I can fix it..... Right now the cold pressures are 32 all around, I'll move it to 35, and also increase front camber to -1.25 from whatever it's at now.. But yeah, the C6 Z06 is way more stable and seems to have similar grip levels to my C5 Z06, but is less tossable/rotateable at low speeds. Out of the box the C5 Z06 may be a better autocross car; I'm not sure yet. The C6 Z06 is still the better car for high speed road courses...

- Radio -- the C6 bose has more midbass and a lot more treble -- but has less low frequency bass. Imaging is also a lot better on the new radio. But I think I liked the freq response curve on the old radio better.

- Nav -- I hate that you can't get a QUERTY keyboard, and that you can't type stuff in or pick points while moving. I hope somebody finds a fix for this already -- if it's a speed sensor wire that it bases its decision on, cool. If it gets it from the GPS itself, then we're screwed.

- Transmission tunnel heat -- yep, it's the same as on my 04 Z06. Not better, not worse.

- Yeah, it does run like a raped ape. 4th winds out to 155 ridiculously fast.

- Brakes -- I tried engaging the brakes while in the middle of a high-speed sweeper today. It didn't auto-ABS before even braking like the C5 Z06 would. It looks like they fixed that problem. Good, now I can actually maybe brake towards the entrance of a decreasing radius sweeper...

- Regarding the 1-4 shift bull****.. LG installed the standard CAGS fooler on my car and FYI it does work, I can shift 1-2 when the 1-4 light is on.

- Traction... it's incredible. Most of the time, these 325's will hook up even stomping the gas in 1st gear so long as it's dry and a good surface. With 450+rwhp! Amazing tires and suspension calibration...

Andi

len3.8 said:
I don't care about this inferior Dyno Sheet, I repeat. Bring this car down my road.....:biggrin: I will be gentle with it....

Why not overlay your dyno sheet to see how much she runs away:) A full dyno sheet will show how much faster us boosted NSXs are.

But, hang a hair dryer on that and look out! Definetely looking foward to the release of this monster.

z06vsgtvsviper18xt.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper27tl.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper37kq.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper49qg.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper52ey.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper61fs.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper70zh.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper80sp.jpg

z06vsgtvsviper92qa.jpg

great article and some good driving. z06 would have monkey-butt-rape the viper and gt had it not run on ****ty stiff hard runflats. put some better street tires like s03s (not even full R-compound) and the z06 will widen the track time gap.

my suspicions are right...z06 is turning out to be one of the best bang/$ all around sports car in a long time. every car has it's little quirks (ie, my 03 nsx has a terrible stock steering wheel that i'd trade anyday for my 04 m3's stock meaty steering wheel) but taken as a COMPLETE package, you're hard pressed to find something else that will beat the z06.

Viper looks rediculously dated!?!

Would a DownForce.biz HSC body-kit fit over the C6 Z06?!? :biggrin:

The interior's do-able, it's very similar to the Caddie XLR's one.

I'm thinking demand/resale for this gen' of the Z06 is gonna be alot greater than it's predecessor despite being in a different price strata!

Are dealers/speculators demanding a premium thus far?

Then go ahead and post one of your many dyno runs... That should serve as notice..
Since one of these will be parked next to a readily accessible C5 Comm Ed. Z06, I will get to see first hand who will be king...:biggrin: Though I already know the answer...

And it (C6 Z06) still looks like something rammed into the backend of it... Maybe the designer ran out of room on the drawing pad just as his boss came and demanded the finished product...

I know it has crazy numbers, at the end of the day you still have to drive a VETTE home....:tongue:

As far as a Hair Dryer... Go ahead and hang one, see if you can get better results than Mallet (Skunkworks Dept.) That block is strectched to capacity now... Much deeper and it will be a grenade... I kind of like my parts to stay within my engine block....

I hate the car, but since a few friends will have them, I will respect them for what they are...
But my Azz, while driving mine, tells me... They don't have anything coming...:wink:

Now if I can just get the trans to work in my car, I could actually run with one...

As KP, has tolf me before, We don't need no stinking dyno... Line that bad boy up...

For the record, I hate Sushi.... SaurKraut....Burgers.... ect..

Okay that's my one... I am out...

Factor X Motorsports said:
Why not overlay your dyno sheet to see how much she runs away:) A full dyno sheet will show how much faster us boosted NSXs are.

But, hang a hair dryer on that and look out! Definetely looking foward to the release of this monster.

God bless you Len! We should have just flown you out when we did dyno pulls instead of buying one:) Here are a few links to our dyno numbers and timeslips. For the full sheets there are a few in the photos section.

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/dyno/results.html
http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2005/0205_feat_article.shtml

We totally agree with you on the aesthetics, but the technology, price, and performance is amazing. Running the stock C6 Z06 should not be a problem since it is running in the high 11 to low 12 range. However, be very careful if you run into a boosted one, we ran the Ligenfelter 427 Twin Turbo from C&D and it gave us a run for the money. It is going to be interesting to see what these aftermarket Vette guys are going to accomplish with this monster. The motor is incredibly stout and with the right tuning it should do just fine, that of course depending upon how far you push the envelope. Be careful of the word “stretched” it could come back to haunt you! The other upside to modding these is the tranny will actually hold it if not a not so costly solution would arrive, unlike our cars that sit in our garage without a tranny really looking like timeless works of art:)

Anytime you are bored running all those inferior supercars out there, come on out to Vegas, there are many cars out here to spice things up :biggrin:

Factor X Motorsports said:
God bless you Len! We should have just flown you out when we did dyno pulls instead of buying one:)

Yep, my AZZ is pretty accurate.. +or- 3hp various, depending on the meal that I have ingested...:wink:
However, the fee can be steep when I have to fly in and Butt Tune....

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/dyno/results.html
http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2005/0205_feat_article.shtml

We totally agree with you on the aesthetics, but the technology, price, and performance is amazing. Running the stock C6 Z06 should not be a problem since it is running in the high 11 to low 12 range. However, be very careful if you run into a boosted one, we ran the Ligenfelter 427 Twin Turbo from C&D and it gave us a run for the money.

Yes I know... The car is a monster... If it were not for the rear end, I would truly be looking at one.. Seriously...
I have seen an been in 4 different Mallets, the Big Bore and the Big bore Supercharged cars included... Have not experienced the TT setup... Fast but not overly impressed..
Then again, I complained about the power of my car as well....:smile:

It is going to be interesting to see what these aftermarket Vette guys are going to accomplish with this monster. The motor is incredibly stout and with the right tuning it should do just fine, that of course depending upon how far you push the envelope. Be careful of the word “stretched” it could come back to haunt you! The other upside to modding these is the tranny will actually hold it if not a not so costly solution would arrive, unlike our cars that sit in our garage without a tranny really looking like timeless works of art:)

No shit!!!! A dirty piece of art in my case... My wife says get rid of it... It's lease on the Garage space has expired...
It is not going anywhere... It will be graced by whatever whenever, albeit with a nice widebody.... And a trans that can handle the potential 700+HP...:eek:

I see you guys cornering the market on 5 speeds, WUWT?

Anytime you are bored running all those inferior supercars out there, come on out to Vegas, there are many cars out here to spice things up :biggrin:

Not really a stretch , seeing that we are buying a home in Bullhead pretty soon.. I will let you guys answer that old question that has never been answered... "Who's Turbo is the greatest".. No skin off my back...:smile:
I will have to do that... Can I bring my old 71T?:biggrin:
It should be blowing, I mean running in the spring...
It's transmission can handle the boost... It's just an old car.

Back