• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX and dating

I don't know if this question ever pop up. What if your date want to drive your NSX? Would you let her/him?

Shumdit said:
That's how we all describe you Dawn:wink: :biggrin:

smiley_in_love.jpg

Jin1976 said:
I don't know if this question ever pop up. What if your date want to drive your NSX? Would you let her/him?

That would be a big "uh,, N-O ! That's a given for me. Call me overprotective but I'd rather be safe than sorry (I'm remembering a story here of how one did allow their date to "test" the car.... and 10 minutes later, let's just say, the car required a lot of repair work..... and the owner ended up having to pay due to some lack of insurance by date. Can't remember full details but just know he ended up paying for it). Again, I prefer to be safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

Come on girls, get in, I'm shallow...OMFG...I'm so shallow, save me, help me...oh shit! I'm crying I'm so freaking shallow........HEEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!:tongue:

Ski_Banker said:
And, I commend Mike-San for heaving the balls to say what I KNOW most others think/thought/do.
I sincerely hope that most people don't feel this way. oh well, maybe I'm in the minority.

Ski_Banker said:
My bad, poorly worded. I guess my point --if any-- was that last fall you were probably in a very different dating-type situation (recently, or soon to be engaged I assume). Just changes the perspective a bit.

Very true, I was defiantly in a different dating situation than Mike at the time I got my NSX; therefore, I could not have possibly been qualified to comment on his very specific perspective on the NSX and dating. However, if you abstract the NSX a bit to something like “shiny material possession that raises social status,” then you see that we can all relate, in one way or another, to what Mike was saying. I feel that I have had enough life experience in dating and in achieving social milestones that I have known vanity, in many forms, and left it far behind – this was my point. The road to enlightenment is shorter when somebody points you in the right direction – even if that means flaming somebody. :biggrin:

I also want to say that Mike is a good guy (as I know through PMs). Despite this one offensive quality (to me at least), that he may or may not still posses, he is alright in my books.

I also feel that debate is healthy, all you guys/girls of Prime are awesome!!!!!

Ski_Banker said:
Now get off the damn internet! :wink: :biggrin:
Signing off now. :biggrin: :biggrin:

MiamiMermaid said:
Ski_Banker said:
Crikey!!!
3. If ALL we wanted was branded attention - well, that's what Porsches are for. When I moved to FL from NYC, and needed to get a car, my NYC buddies all thought I was nuts for getting an $80k exotic "Acura" instead of a 911. I could care less about the Porsche brand, but 99% of the population and 100% (rounded, Alix:smile: ) of women disagree.

Porsche ? blech..... Better round those numbers again. ;) I see Porsches (about 30 in a day while in Miami, or anywhere for that matter). Sure, most have wonderful performance but my gosh!! they ALLL look alike.... to the 'uneducated' eye; this definitely includes many women. Shoot, I know the differences , albeit VERY small asthetical ones, and just never floated my boat. Only exception would be the GT ;) Two weekends ago while I was back visiting Miami, I drove my Pops 911 Carrera TT and while it is beautiful, not many know the difference from a Boxster...

The NSX ? HOT, RARE!!!!!!!!!, SEXY, and CURVY ..... and let's not ever forget, extremely reliable. I truly would choose the NSX over the Lambos (exception: diablo) because the cars just seem so boxy. And the Porsche? Looks too much like a bug of some sort. Of course, that's just this lil' lady's opinion :biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

Soooooo, how many women do you drag in with your NSX? Inquiring minds want to know :)

If you have to rely on the car to get you a chick (and whatever else), well let's just say you really need to go back to the drawing board.

I have had girls flash me both in the NSX and my Ford Truck, so I'm gonna' go with it wasn't the car I was driving...Oh and my girl was with me. I actually found it a lil' tasteless when it first happened while she sat and laughed.:eek:

redshift said:
However, if you abstract the NSX a bit to something like “shiny material possession that raises social status,” then you see that we can all relate, in one way or another, to what Mike was saying.

My point exactly!!! It's not just about dating! It's about being part of a class or image. I'm willing to bet that almost no one on this site:

- Buys their clothes at Wal Mart (even though you can look the same -- Wally World's got some pretty fashionable stuff ya know:tongue: ) Probably none of us. We spend more (maybe Gap, maybe Neiman Marcus) for clothes than we need to because we feel better having done so, and can generally afford it.

- Lives in *the most* economically affordable house/apartment that fits the bill? How many people on here live in big houses but don't have big families? You buy the big house because you feel *better* having done so. And maybe "better" is confidence in yourself, or just to show off to your friends. Can you afford it? Sure, lets hope so. Do you need it? No.

Fact is, whether we like it or not, classes exist and we all do things to put ourselves in a certain class. Driving an NSX is no different than buying a big house, picking out a 2 ct. diamond ring for your new wife (from Tiffany, because if the damn box said "QVC" she'd smack you), getting the BMW 325 instead of the Accord, or buying an expensive boat (what a collosal waste of money those are when you can rent the 1x a month you actually use it). If you are a single guy, the issue of "class" is most related to dating. If you're married, it's most related to keeping up with the Joneses.

I know I'm gonna get blasted for these blasphemous, anti-consumerism statements.

Last edited:
My lil bro's ex gf busted the transmission on his manual Mitsu 3000GT. Instead of helping him pay for the damage she left him. :mad:
MiamiMermaid said:
That would be a big "uh,, N-O ! That's a given for me. Call me overprotective but I'd rather be safe than sorry (I'm remembering a story here of how one did allow their date to "test" the car.... and 10 minutes later, let's just say, the car required a lot of repair work..... and the owner ended up having to pay due to some lack of insurance by date. Can't remember full details but just know he ended up paying for it). Again, I prefer to be safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

hmm interesting tread lol. Cars don't get the women..it's all personality. I had no luck with my car meanwhile this girl i wanted to take out ditched me for a kid in a beat up celica...The cars get looks yes..but only the gold diggers are the ones looking. Always keep that in mind.

Ski_Banker said:
My point exactly!!! It's not just about dating! It's about being part of a class or image. I'm willing to bet that almost no one on this site:

- Buys their clothes at Wal Mart (even though you can look the same -- Wally World's got some pretty fashionable stuff ya know:tongue: ) Probably none of us. We spend more (maybe Gap, maybe Neiman Marcus) for clothes than we need to because we feel better having done so, and can generally afford it.

- Lives in *the most* economically affordable house/apartment that fits the bill? How many people on here live in big houses but don't have big families? You buy the big house because you feel *better* having done so. And maybe "better" is confidence in yourself, or just to show off to your friends. Can you afford it? Sure, lets hope so. Do you need it? No.

Fact is, whether we like it or not, classes exist and we all do things to put ourselves in a certain class. Driving an NSX is no different than buying a big house, picking out a 2 ct. diamond ring for your new wife (from Tiffany, because if the damn box said "QVC" she'd smack you), getting the BMW 325 instead of the Accord, or buying an expensive boat (what a collosal waste of money those are when you can rent the 1x a month you actually use it). If you are a single guy, the issue of "class" is most related to dating. If you're married, it's most related to keeping up with the Joneses.

I know I'm gonna get blasted for these blasphemous, anti-consumerism statements.
Yup, I completely agree. :smile:

My argument/viewpoint was one of personal morals not mores.

definately got more looks in my daily driver a civic, I felt like a star in the civic--->everyone stared. Used the line, "I just got a new car and I need a pretty girl in my passenger seat". I had her in my passenger seat a few days later. But it was me that initially got the girl, not the NSX...

I think it totally depends where you live. If I was back where I am from, Houston coast, there would be girls wanting rides left and right, but out here in LA hott cars are common. Hmm, sometimes I want to drive it back to TX just to experience it, LOL

Why is it that when i go out with friends(girls) who are super hot I always meet hot women. But alone it's hit or miss(mostly miss). What's with this wingchick stuff? But OMG it WORKS!

Last edited:
bodypainter said:
They're looking for a threesome. Run with it! :biggrin:

Well, that has come to pass a couple of times, but even the ones not interested in girls per se are drawn like moths to a flame. Who can know the mind of a hot chick...then again...who cares:biggrin:

Ski_Banker said:
I'm willing to bet that almost no one on this site:

I shop at Old Navy for shorts and T's, which is pretty close to Walmart. I figured I save enough doing that to pay for my CTSC. This year I am doing all my shopping at Goddwill to see if I can save enough for a clutch (I figure I will need one after the CTSC):biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ski_Banker said:

sad thing is for the most part you're all most likely correct

though I shop at Walmart mostly :biggrin:

and I live at home even though I could easily afford almost any home around here. I would be just as happy with a tiny appartment and a airplane hanger full of cars though :biggrin: ....and Im workin on it

as far as an Accord over a BMW, that would be me too, though Ild be tempted at the Acura TL or a Civic

and as far as that diamond, NO girl gets any stupid lil overpriced shinny worthless pebble from me, let alone to show that I love her. She wants one she better have a job and spare money to get it herself......I got tires, clutch, exhaust, etc Id rather buy :biggrin:

and lastly, f*ck the Joneses, I buy what I want cause I want too, I could care less about them :smile:

I guess Im the exception...Im special :biggrin:

Ski_Banker said:

You are SOOOO "on point" with this stuff !!!

And most of the guys that believe you're full of shit are the ones that CAN'T afford to do the same. :biggrin:

Of course you have to allow for some "middle ground" here and that's for the guys that do without the fancy labels and the big houses so they CAN afford the NSX. Being on of *them*, I know !!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ski_Banker said:

Just to add to this point a little, I'll add a story that is officially "The Most Emailed Article of August" from Wall St Journal online. It's related, I promise...

Money and Happiness:
Here's Why You Won't Laugh
All the Way to the Bank
August 16, 2006; Page D1

It's only money. Really.

If you're reading this column, you are no doubt looking to get ahead financially. But don't kid yourself: All those extra dollars won't make you extra happy.

In recent years, economists and psychologists have turned their attention to "happiness research" -- and the results are a little disturbing if your life's goals are a bigger paycheck and a fatter nest egg. Money alone, it seems, just doesn't buy a whole lot of happiness.
• It's all relative. To be sure, high-income earners often express greater satisfaction with their lives. In a 2004 survey, 43% of those with family incomes of $90,000 or more reported being "very happy," versus 22% for those with incomes below $20,000.

But the truth, it seems, is messier than such surveys suggest. Yes, if you live in poverty, more money can bolster your happiness.

"But once you're safe and warm and fed, it makes surprisingly little difference," says David Schkade, professor of management at the University of California at San Diego. "Once you get to the lower-middle class, then it takes a lot of income to make a difference. Income does matter, just not as much as people think."

Indeed, despite rising standards of living, just 30% of Americans described themselves as "very happy" in the late 1990s, down from 34% in the early 1970s, according to a study by economics professors David Blanchflower and Andrew Oswald that appeared in the Journal of Public Economics in July 2004.

Faced with this sort of data, researchers have speculated that our happiness is influenced not by our absolute level of wealth and income, but rather by how our financial situation compares with friends and colleagues.

This may help explain why so many high-income earners describe themselves as "very happy." Much of the time, these folks aren't necessarily all that cheerful. But when asked in surveys to assess their satisfaction with their lives, they think about their standing in the world -- and that prompts them to say they are happy.
• On the clock. What happens when high-income earners aren't contemplating their position in the financial pecking order? Consider a June 30 article in Science magazine by Daniel Kahneman, Alan Krueger, Norbert Schwarz, Arthur Stone and Prof. Schkade.

The five professors analyzed data for 374 workers who were asked every 25 minutes during the workday about the intensity of various feelings. Those with higher incomes didn't report being any happier, but they were more likely to say they were anxious or angry.

The five professors also studied government data detailing how folks divvy up their waking hours. They found that people with higher incomes tend to spend more time working, commuting and engaging in obligatory nonwork activities, such as maintaining their homes. All of these are associated with lower happiness.

"People who are richer aren't having a better time," Prof. Schkade concludes. "But if you ask them about their lives, they report being a little more satisfied" than those who are less affluent.
• Buying time. This raises the question: If more money won't make us much happier, what will? Here are four pointers.

• Keep your commute short. Tempted to use your latest pay raise to buy a big house in a distant suburb? Don't do it.

While we often adjust amazingly well to life's hardships, commuting is an exception. "You can't adapt to commuting, because it's entirely unpredictable," says Daniel Gilbert, author of "Stumbling on Happiness" and a psychology professor at Harvard University. "Driving in traffic is a different kind of hell every day."
• Choose time over money. Cutting back the hours you work will likely leave you happier, even if it means less pay.

What about the fall in your standard of living? It may hurt less than you imagine. True, you are thrilled when you buy a new car. Soon enough, however, the good feelings fade and you're taking the new car for granted. Academics call this "hedonic adaptation."
• Think carefully about how you spend your dollars. While a new car may not boost your happiness for long, maybe a trip to Europe would.

"Money itself doesn't make you happy," Prof. Gilbert says. "What can make you happy is what you do with it. There's a lot of data that suggests experiences are better than durable goods."

The car might seem like the better purchase, because it has lasting value. But, in fact, it sits in the driveway, slowly deteriorating. "Experiences don't hang around long enough to disappoint you," Prof. Gilbert says. "What you have left are wonderful memories."
• Use your leisure time wisely. Surveys show that leisure is better for your happiness than work. But much also depends on how you spend your leisure time.

Passive activities like watching television usually don't make folks as happy as eating. A good meal, in turn, doesn't rank quite as highly as active leisure activities, such as socializing with friends.

"Going to a dinner at a nice restaurant, where you're going to see friends and eat good food, is one of the best combinations," Prof. Schkade says. "The French know what they're doing, when it comes to how to enjoy a good meal."

^^
Ive read similar articles that talk of how once you get over 50k people are generally at the same level of happiness no matter what they make.

In another one they talk of what percentage were satisfied with their life and if they make enough money to be happy. The only group that scored high was the 75-100k group, the rest whether higher or lower were all about the same. They all said they didnt make enough. The 150-200k group felt just the same as the 30k group in not making enough to be happy, so go figure.

my thoughts, just set up your finances to live off a 50-75k salary and whatever you make over that put towards cars!! :biggrin:

To stay on topic, my girlfriend hates this car because its loud, hard to get in, and it is bumpy. People do like to wave when I'm driving and a guy the other day just took a picture while I was parked at a red light. The car does draw some attention.

She does like riding in the Minivan (Toyota Sienna XLE Limited) and Mercedes S500 much more.

We live in a very materialistic world.

There are businesses that rent out Gucci bags, LV Bags, and other expensive accessories. People are led to believe that they will be better accepted by carrying such expensive items. I was at the mall with a friend and his girlfriend. His girlfriend was shopping around and stopped by Hermes to see some handbags. There was an aligator skin purse about the size of my foot selling for over 10K+. I was truly shocked.

You know there is definitely something wrong with our society.

It is much tougher to teach your kids then it was before because we have become so good at creating and marketing things that we don't really need.

I've read a very interesting statistic that the Average American has a networth of -10K.

You might own a nice car, you might own a nice house, you might have expensive accessories. The question is does that really make you truly happy?

Personally, I realized that it didn't. I've seen people with much less lead a fuller life than I have while I was in Thailand as a monk. It is good to have money, but you never want to sacrifice yourself to attain it.

Just my 02 cents.:smile:

Back