• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2018 F1 Thread

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WGC9PH

b155f742cec5abc9626adc41e2628b04.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Mclaren need all the excitement it can generate......we'll see how reliable the Renault power unit will be this year.

I'm excited to see what ToroRoso and Honda can do this year.....new slate for Honda

That McLaren is so gorgeous. My fav so far are; 1)McLaren 2)Sauber 3) Haas. This is going to be a fun year! Come on Williams!!

so do I

One week to go for Quali I wonder if this will be McLarens theme song for the weekend, go Brendon Hartley and Toro Rosso

The interesting details about the McL/Honda partnership can be read between the lines in the infos of Toro Rosso about the new partnership with Honda. It looks as if McL contributed by far more to the desaster in the previous years than you'd be expecting. How can it be possible that the Toro Rosso has completed so many problem-free laps with an engine that is simply an evolution of the last year? While the McL still blows engines (or at least their components) during testing, this time Renault engines...McL simply sucks, they won't win anything more than the throphy of the most defects. Too bad Honda ever went with them.
Looking forward to next weekend...

The interesting details about the McL/Honda partnership can be read between the lines in the infos of Toro Rosso about the new partnership with Honda. It looks as if McL contributed by far more to the desaster in the previous years than you'd be expecting. How can it be possible that the Toro Rosso has completed so many problem-free laps with an engine that is simply an evolution of the last year? While the McL still blows engines (or at least their components) during testing, this time Renault engines...McL simply sucks, they won't win anything more than the throphy of the most defects. Too bad Honda ever went with them.
Looking forward to next weekend...
It does seem a bit strange. But without insider's information we can only pick up clues. Evolution is one thing, another is that Honda started working with TR earlier and made required changes to have a better package overall. Blowing engines is not that simple as it may seem. Even with let's say small changes as far as power unit itself goes it's quite possible that within TR chassis it's less exposed to the failure contributing factors. It's all speculation though but very curious what happens once subject to race mileage.

With Ron Dennis' departure I think MC lost it's major driving force. Even though Eric B is great engineer I think he lacks a lot of charisma. Same for Zak B, I think - all talk, no action. Just feels sloppy to me. Obviously biased and subjective opinion but I think it carries a bit of truth.

Super excited about season opener. Just got another artifact to kick off F1 2018 :)

bee448c20a7d4f8639ac2ff9d2b8ee8b.jpg

Last edited:
I've read in a well-respected autosport-magazine (don't know the name out of my head) that McLaren used a mapping for the engine and an aerodynamic design of the rear end that the Honda engine constantly ran hotter than Honda wanted it to run. On one of the early test days of 2018 McLaren put on additional venting for the Renault engine. So McLaren finally couldn't blame the newcomer and has to dig in its own dirt.

In interviews from Toro Rosso you can read how good they work together with Honda, sth you never ever read from McLaren from day 1 since Honda is back. It seems as if McLaren has 'overdriven' or forced Honda to put it right while not seeing that they contributed to the problem. Pretty unfair for somone who puts 100 Mio. $ per season into a team and pays the driver who's always complaining. Alonso will never drive a Ferrari for the same reason again. McLaren is shot for me. I would be very glad if Toro Rosso gathers more points at the end of the season than McL.

It does seem a bit strange. But without insider's information we can only pick up clues. Evolution is one thing, another is that Honda started working with TR earlier and made required changes to have a better package overall. Blowing engines is not that simple as it may seem. Even with let's say small changes as far as power unit itself goes it's quite possible that within TR chassis it's less exposed to the failure contributing factors. It's all speculation though but very curious what happens once subject to race mileage.

With Ron Dennis' departure I think MC lost it's major driving force. Even though Eric B is great engineer I think he lacks a lot of charisma. Same for Zak B, I think - all talk, no action. Just feels sloppy to me. Obviously biased and subjective opinion but I think it carries a bit of truth.
I agree to an extent apart from since Ron's leaving they have lost the driving force he was the architect of the Zero design or whatever it was, Ron was the a huge part of the problem and subsequent issue's he was why they went down this road in the first place. I think he was too arrogant and was past his used by date yet agree with your thoughts on who's in charge now

I agree to an extent apart from since Ron's leaving they have lost the driving force he was the architect of the Zero design or whatever it was, Ron was the a huge part of the problem and subsequent issue's he was why they went down this road in the first place. I think he was too arrogant and was past his used by date yet agree with your thoughts on who's in charge now
In this business, arrogance is necessary (funny timing as news on Ferrari's staffing move rolled in days ago). I was (still am) sad to see what he built taken away from him.

Back