• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

The Official 2024 F1 thread

The rain delivered an exciting race, even if the winner was as per usual.
Good result for the Brits, but they spent too long tripping over each other to challenge Max. Disaster for Ferrari - a double DNF. Early entertainment from the Haas drivers as their wet tyre choice worked well initially - I bet K Mag loved those opening laps, and for once he didn’t take anyone else out.
Overtake of the race was by Alex Albon, taking two cars in one corner.
Perez binned it and drove back to the pits with parts falling off and no hope of continuing - Red Bull will hopefully receive a big fine and a points deduction, as this was clearly done to avoid a red flag which Max would have been vulnerable from.
Sainz messed up and took Alex Albon out, just as he was about to score more points (again)…
Gasly and Ocon got spicy at the very end, with Alpine favouring the driver staying over the driver they are getting rid of.

Looks like Hammer Time is all but over. SkyF1 stated Hammy has been on a podium this year. Letting Russel pass him without a fight seemed odd. Alpine has No drivers signed to 2025. Gasley will be out of contract at the end of this year. The team is in a bit of shambles with little improvement coming their way. If you look at all the teams this year Only Red Bull has it together. Yes, I know McLaren looks good at the moment, but so did Ferrari a few weeks ago.

^ not sure you can say that Red Bull Racing has it together, when Perez is crashing so often in a car that should be second in the championship.

Does the fine come out of the cost cap - it should, rather than being paid by a multi, multi millionaire who is bankrolled by billionaires…

Perez is in his decline and will never finish 2nd like in 2023 (I hope I'm wrong). All F1 Teams have billion $$$ backing thanks to Liberty Media. I was't in favor of the cost cap but it seems ti be working. The Mercedes dominate years (like McLaren and Ferrari years) are over. 2026 will level things out and only the sharpest teams will be in front and the rest place-holders.

Max had proper position, but Norris tried to drive into him. Max never gives an inch. The move cost Max a win, but collected 10 points extended his lead over Norris. McLaren has a good car, for sure, but their drivers need some seasoning. Merc gets its 1st top step since 2022. Haas got points and so did Ricky R. Seems a bit odd that RB pit crew made so many mistakes. They looked like Alpine a bit.

Max drove badly after his slow pit stop - he was struggling so the red mist descended.
He should have been penalised for weaving in the braking zone a few laps before he made contact with Lando.
Max moved to the left after he saw that Lando wasn’t going down the inside and clearly tried to force Lando off by nor giving a full cars width. After the initial contact, Max steered into the path that he had forced Lando to take, just to make sure there was more damage, and down the next straight he veered off the racing line to the right as Lando attempted to overtake, forcing Lando onto the grass - I make that 4 offences each due a 10 second penalty. But what does Max receive? - 1 10 sec penalty which was applied after had had pitted for fresh tyres. Had this penalty been applied before he reached the pits, max would have been out of the points…
Back to the result - George kept the pace up enough to keep ahead of Oscar, Sainz and Lewis.
Good points for Haas and Danny Ric - Perez was lucky not to be penalised for ramming Hulkenberg in the closing stages.
The 2 Alpine drivers gave good entertainment trying to knock each other off the track - Gasly got the final point ahead of Leclerc who wrote his race off on the opening lap - a weekend to forget for Charles.

Max drove badly after his slow pit stop - he was struggling so the red mist descended.
He should have been penalised for weaving in the braking zone a few laps before he made contact with Lando.
Max moved to the left after he saw that Lando wasn’t going down the inside and clearly tried to force Lando off by nor giving a full cars width. After the initial contact, Max steered into the path that he had forced Lando to take, just to make sure there was more damage, and down the next straight he veered off the racing line to the right as Lando attempted to overtake, forcing Lando onto the grass - I make that 4 offences each due a 10 second penalty. But what does Max receive? - 1 10 sec penalty which was applied after had had pitted for fresh tyres. Had this penalty been applied before he reached the pits, max would have been out of the points…
Back to the result - George kept the pace up enough to keep ahead of Oscar, Sainz and Lewis.
Good points for Haas and Danny Ric - Perez was lucky not to be penalised for ramming Hulkenberg in the closing stages.
The 2 Alpine drivers gave good entertainment trying to knock each other off the track - Gasly got the final point ahead of Leclerc who wrote his race off on the opening lap - a weekend to forget for Charles.
I agree that verstappen’s driving was beyond reasonable, and especially after the collision he seemed to be deliberately trying to wreck / force Norris off track.
I am fearful that F1 is going to accept his rough driving as acceptable; hopefully nobody gets hurt.
AM seems particularly lost right now. Is Stroll losing his interest in the sport? I’m beginning to wonder if AM will be the first to jump at Andretti-Cadillac’s offer.

I agree Max got nothing more than a hand slap, and I'm hoping he gets a penalty before Silverstone, as that 10 secs did nothing to him, and he ended Norris race and still got points. Now that Adrian is leaving RB, (to go to Ferrari???), he will not always have the dominate car, and when under pressure, he falls into the Schumacher camp of win at all costs and/or take out your rival. So far they have been letting him get away with it, which tells all the new drivers coming in this is acceptable. It's not. He said he was not moving in the braking zones? BS. Show me the data trace, as Ant on Sky Sports clearly showed he was. Grow up Max. Your ultra dominate RB days are coming to a close and you will actually have to race now. Something you've never been able to do without intimidation/wheel banging.

Wow, that's a bit better, race could have gone 5 different ways at one point. It was a shame Russell had to retire his car.
More of that please this season and I might start watching regularly again...

Great result for Lewis - good recovery from Max,and Lando was disappointed with his third place after leading for a while. Solid from Oscar, but he could have been right up there if he had been able to pit at the right time. Sainz was a bit off the pace but way ahead of a very poor Leclerc, who was as woeful as Perez. Unlucky for George who had to retire when in a very strong position.
Points for Hulk, the Astons, Alex and Yuki, with Logan just outside the top 10.
Silverstone threw a bit of everything at the drivers - a very entertaining round - probably the highlight of the season so far.

For the best recap and analysis see here : https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...ief-and-lando-norris-mclaren-strategy-regrets

Last edited:
Great result for Lewis - good recovery from Max,and Lando was disappointed with his third place after leading for a while. Solid from Oscar, but he could have been right up there if he had been able to pit at the right time. Sainz was a bit off the pace but way ahead of a very poor Leclerc, who was as woeful as Perez. Unlucky for George who had to retire when in a very strong position.
Points for Hulk, the Astons, Alex and Yuki, with Logan just outside the top 10.
Silverstone threw a bit of everything at the drivers - a very entertaining round - probably the highlight of the season so far.

For the best recap and analysis see here : https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...ief-and-lando-norris-mclaren-strategy-regrets
Hungary was a boring, yet interesting race. I’ll be curious to hear thoughts on the McLaren team orders.
And Max did not perform today.

Hungary was a boring, yet interesting race. I’ll be curious to hear thoughts on the McLaren team orders.
And Max did not perform today.
Max really was like a brat who wasn’t getting his own way…
From the very start, Max was whingeing about any- and everything, and got so frustrated that he argued with his race engineer repeatedly, to the point where GP called him “childish”
Back to the race, the Mclarens were clearly the pick of the field - Lewis and Max were next, followed by the Ferraris. The Astons were a long way adrift. George and Checo had successful recovery drives, and Yuki got points by being the only driver to stop once.
Back to the front - Oscar had the pace in the first half of the race, Lando clearly was much faster later on, but he did himself no favours by not switching places as soon as he was requested to do so. He could have legitimately passed Oscar later, but missed that opportunity by “discussing” the issue with his team…
Max’s lunge on Lewis on lap 63 was so predictable - I called it 3 laps before - and the red mist was so thick in his visor that he was more than a day late and a dollar short - it was laughable…

EDIT: As ever, Martin Brundle writes an explains far better than me - https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...rris-should-have-done-in-oscar-piastri-battle

Last edited:
Yep. Max threw a podium away with his temper tantrums & by not easing into the last tyre set. He could have passed the Ferrari easily 1 lap later and still have lots of time and tyres for several attempts on Hamilton.

Back