• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2022 F1 Thread...

OK guys and gals, let's get started... gonna be an interesting year!
I asked this question last year... and here it is again:
Will it be championship #8 for Lewis?????
H-

Or Max's second!

Lots of interesting changes for the 2022 season, including a few previously banned technologies.

Who knows!
With the regulation changes it could be possible for many teams and drivers to be in the running for a title this year, but I suspect it wil the, err, usual suspects, Lewis and Max, Mercedes and Red Bull.
But here's hoping that more teams get a look-in to regular podiums - McLaren, Ferarri, Alpha Tauri, Alpine, heck, even Aston Martin and Williams! I was going to say Alfa Romeo and Haas, but then I woke up from pure fantasy...
Here's to F1 in 2022 - may it be eventful, exciting, and fun.

I am :smile: there is a new gen. champion in Max but the way it was ended made me miss the Senna vs Prost days even more.

Like Bobby Rahal said long time ago, "give me Adrian Newey, we don't need the best driver to win." this is even true now days.
I'm rooting for George Russell from 2022 on until Max win at least 7 more to match the Hamster.

The pinnacle of motorsports championship should be between teams and drivers alone, not based on a 3rd party questionable last lap decision. I'm hopeful for the cleaner aero in 2022 to make the competition more interesting.

For those of you miss the the MP4/4 days and have time during the NY break, (u can 2x the video, there is a short version as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDE2XzqGV6s&ab_channel=JayEmmonCars

I'm with you Harry, Lewis for the 8th WC in 2022.

Bram

I am with you Bram. I dont underestimate LH's power to " focus" on winning, probably (IMO) unmatched by his rivals for many years.
But, the new cars may tip the balance in some teams' favor, once the first few races are done.

Well...we'll see when testing starts within the next couple of months....we will all see who having been burning the mid-night oil on the design and Aero/CFD calculations.

Bram

My Ph.D. dissertation was on human and AI collaboration so I may have a unique perspective. Those interested may find comfort knowing that AI projects do not work if they do not clearly, and without question, work to advance humanity. So right now, with the general motorsports community having little interest in robots racing, our current state of motorsport will be safe for the next few years at least.

However, with continuing advancement in sensors and algorithms and the eventual application of quantum computing, it is reasonable to believe that aspects of autonomous vehicles will permeate into the most competitive of motorsports series (like F1) where AI could help the driver drive the car. I don't find that attractive at all but it'll be difficult to manage the technology if it makes the entire package faster. But for things like accurately predicting a tire deflating and ripping apart or when an engine is about to expire or minimize the damaging effects of a crash, etc., AI could serve a valuable purpose.

My Ph.D. dissertation was on human and AI collaboration so I may have a unique perspective. Those interested may find comfort knowing that AI projects do not work if they do not clearly, and without question, work to advance humanity. So right now, with the general motorsports community having little interest in robots racing, our current state of motorsport will be safe for the next few years at least.

However, with continuing advancement in sensors and algorithms and the eventual application of quantum computing, it is reasonable to believe that aspects of autonomous vehicles will permeate into the most competitive of motorsports series (like F1) where AI could help the driver drive the car. I don't find that attractive at all but it'll be difficult to manage the technology if it makes the entire package faster. But for things like accurately predicting a tire deflating and ripping apart or when an engine is about to expire or minimize the damaging effects of a crash, etc., AI could serve a valuable purpose.

The use of AI, and the ability to police it reminds me of the 90s when traction control and anti lock braking were being snuck into the cars. I think the solution, still in use is the common engine management unit.

At what point do we expect the driver to completely go/ stop / turn is subjective. A purist would want a foot operated clutch with an H-gate shifter. But that boat has sailed.

Imagine the thrill of being in a real F1 car at speed with AI driving and you thinking you are doing something with disconnected pedals and wheel...kinda like when you where really young in the county fair "race cars"...I'm sure the UAE will be the first to get that ride going...

The use of AI, and the ability to police it reminds me of the 90s when traction control and anti lock braking were being snuck into the cars. I think the solution, still in use is the common engine management unit.

At what point do we expect the driver to completely go/ stop / turn is subjective. A purist would want a foot operated clutch with an H-gate shifter. But that boat has sailed.

I thought of the same issues with TC, ABS, and active suspension. There are obvious rule set changes that can be made but even those will have "work arounds" (i.e. Ferrari's injector pulse timing and controlled oil leaks in the combustion chambers from just a few years ago). And I don't think anyone has really figured out how Benetton implemented their TC in the mid-90's. So, given the sports previous example as a likely arc, as AI technology evolves and shows a proper business case for its use, more autonomy will inevitably show up.

FWIW, Airbus created a really cool bulkhead for one of their passenger jets that was stronger and lighter by giving AI freedom to design within given parameters. It'd be interesting how F1 teams create parts with the same technology.

For me, I suppose it's a balance. I totally enjoy the technology aspect of the sport. But if the driver gets essentially taken out of the equation, then it's no longer fun to watch because it's missing the most interesting variable.

Saw some click-bait that if the results of the review by the FIA on its decision making at Abu-Dhabi is not acceptable to Hamilton, he will “Retire” for at least some time.

That would leave an open seat at Merc! More click-bait has Vettel being the new driver for Merc!

And we are less than a month from the first debuts for the new cars!

A crazy off season.

Last edited:
I just watched the promo film Aston Martin made at Silverstone of their 2022 car. The car was very good looking. It looks like the new regs are going to result in much better looking cars so hopefully the first comment we hear from non fans will no longer be - that thing is ugly.

What a way to kick off the ‘22 season, fire the race director, throwing him under the bus.

So if between Father Time and the new car, Hamilton never gets his record breaking 8th championship, will there be the proverbial asterisk next to Hamilton’s name?

More importantly, will F1 prove it can enforce rules of sportsmanship and (reasonably) safe driving?

Back