• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The old Main Relay bug bit me

After 25 years of flawless operation, my main relay finally gave up the ghost.
It failed almost instantly, with the engine stalling a couple of times, then failing to start the next time I tried. Since I don't drive the car much, it took me a few days to get around to pulling the cover off the back bulkhead and then 'thumping' the main relay a few times. Then it started right up, stalling after 'thumping' it a few more times.

The moral of the story, never rule out the main relay if having running issues.

Hopefully this weekend I'll pull the old one out and soldier the joints to see if I can resurrect it. Somewhere I may have the original main relay from my 89 Legend that I finally replaced in the early 2000s. Back in the days before the internet, troubleshooting a Honda main relay was much more of an unknown.

Some overly cautious people (like me) have a working spare in the trunk or solder the joints on a regular base.

I know who it feels when the engine quits working, it feels very sh*tty. Been there - done that a few months ago but with an aftermarket relay for my Supra fuel pump which is hungry for current...

Yes. I had figured that since my main relay was working all this time it would be good forever. My Legend's main relay was suspect shortly after I got it in 93, but was so intermittent that all I ever needed to do was pull the key out and put it back in. And on Lucille she lasted 25 flawless years before the joints cracked.

Mine just went as well. I replaced my original one about 3 years ago. Tried go start the car the other day and it wouldnt. Hit the passenger seat panel and it's starting up again. Need to address this issue this week.

B@t

Back