• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Pursuit of Personalizing Perfection - Track Addict's build thread

IMG_0399.jpeg

One of the many new parts that went in during my time back stateside was the type S/Zanardi/S Zero/ R single pane rear partition glass. A happy 7lbs off the upper middle of the car.

I cannot say whether the car is any louder as I installed this piece after removing my engine.

This is definitely a PAIN to do, but not ever having to do it again makes it pretty ok in my book. Brand new factory glass with a new seal. Which is great because my dual pane piece had dust in the middle that drove me NUTS!

This can be a DIY for anyone brave enough to take on the task, but you’re going to make a HUGE mess and likely regret starting this project at several points during the process.

It is on my list for some time now… but never been “brave enough” to do it 😜

Do you have a final weight target?
This can be a DIY for anyone brave enough to take on the task, but you’re going to make a HUGE mess and likely regret starting this project at several points during the process.

IMG_5892.jpeg

This was my last weigh in before everything came apart and with a full tank.

I’m hoping to be about this with me in it full race trim. With air conditioning
It is on my list for some time now… but never been “brave enough” to do it 😜

Do you have a final weight target?

I still recall vividly how much faster and fun my car was on track without a passenger...esp the 200 pounders...I think every 100 lbs is at least a second faster on a longish track..

View attachment 189008

One of the many new parts that went in during my time back stateside was the type S/Zanardi/S Zero/ R single pane rear partition glass. A happy 7lbs off the upper middle of the car.

I cannot say whether the car is any louder as I installed this piece after removing my engine.

This is definitely a PAIN to do, but not ever having to do it again makes it pretty ok in my book. Brand new factory glass with a new seal. Which is great because my dual pane piece had dust in the middle that drove me NUTS!

So, I have to ask. I've seen a few people taking the 'shortcut' of breaking and removing the rear pane of glass, including this guy who helpfully made a video of the whole process:
(and some pics of another attempt here: https://cartune.me/notes/LNAdx8f5gz)

After going to the effort of doing it properly, would you try the shortcut if you ever had to do the job again?

I still recall vividly how much faster and fun my car was on track without a passenger...esp the 200 pounders...I think every 100 lbs is at least a second faster on a longish track..
I didn’t notice it until I ran T-Hill without a passenger and turn 3 nearly threw me off track! I got so used to always having a passenger I didn’t realize the extra weight was so huge (driving instructor so I rarely get “alone time” at track)

So a 2,550lb 235hp BRZ with 255 Nankang CR-S tires and some aero just did a 1:53 at buttonwillow...
With YOU driving or a mere mortal like myself?

Also, I am one of the few that despise that track. I know it’s the “standard” but it’s just “meh” to me

So, I have to ask. I've seen a few people taking the 'shortcut' of breaking and removing the rear pane of glass, including this guy who helpfully made a video of the whole process:
(and some pics of another attempt here: https://cartune.me/notes/LNAdx8f5gz)

After going to the effort of doing it properly, would you try the shortcut if you ever had to do the job again?
Oh my sweet lord no. Would never “remove” the partition that way. As much of a pain as the job is, I refuse to intentionally ruin a good part to save a little time.

if you’ve ever had your car window smashed you know there is no amount of vacuum or detailing that will rid you of the broken glass. Inside your interior will be riddled with glass and that’s never a good idea imho.

Take the time, do the job right, and enjoy the process

Back