• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Waiting Is Over: Arrival And Impressions

Waiting, waiting, and more waiting and finally I pulled into my driveway and there she was! Thanks for everyone who put my mind at ease and got me through the three weeks. I feel bad for my salesman who I yelled at often.

What a surprise! She was all cleaned, and under all the dirt was a truly amazing car. I just can't believe how "new" everything is...almost as if I've jumped back in time 16 years. The seats are like new (driver bolster has a few cracks but nothing major) and the paint, although a little swirly seems to be very healthy. All components work and the wheels and tires are as new.

Initial impressions: Intimidated. I dont' know if many of you felt this when you first saw your car, but it's a feeling of excitement and intimidation. You're excited as hell to drive it, but feel like your driving a living breathing thing rather than a car. The feeling is heightened when you get in the driver's seat.

First, my car is a 1993 with 29,750 miles. It's red with a black interior, and completely stock.

I couldn't believe how snug the interior is. It fits me perfect, but it's VERY racy feeling at the same time.

Wheels: When I bent over to look at the wheels, they seem so tiny but fit the overall look of the car nicely. It took an extra week to get the tires...there were only a few in the country. Before I had the car in my possesion, I promised myself bigger wheels and tires. Now that I have seen them, I almost want to "brag" about how small they are, yet how well the car handles. A testiment to engineering.

Trunk, hood, engine compartment: They seem very quality but delicate at the same time. I took extra care to close them like you would a hood on a 911. The detailers did a fine job, but I spent at least an hour cleaning wax buildup around these areas before I gave her my "virgin" cleaning.

Engine: I peered in the engine not knowing what I was looking at. The only thing I do know is it's a masterpiece. The radiator resevor looks clean and "extra" white. I have seen some yellowing on others and was surprised by this ones condition. It had no cracks. I also looked at all the hoses and they were fresh looking with no apparent cracks. The belts (which I don't know what they do) had the proper 1/2 inch play and looked like new. I opened the coolant top and the fluid (which had been checked as well as oil and brake fuilds) and I was a bit surprised that the fluid was low, but it was between the marks, so it must be expansion space.

Driving impression: I wish I could give them, but I have to have the car resgistered. I was able to drive it in my neighborhood at speeds under 40mph, but it doesn't provide a true driving impression. What I did notice was how the clutch has little play compared to conventional vehicles. My clutch lets out a little higher than I want, but i've read in here that many do...even when they are newly installed ones. I forgot how the car idles, with an almost "in your ass" vibration that feels different but is easily accepted as normal. I did a quick burst in 1st gear to about 4,000rpm. The noise was sickening, the sensation it gave me inspiring. I feel as though I want to keep this car forever. I want this piece of history to be with me the rest of the days of my life.

Pics to follow in the next few hours...

Congratulations, on your purchase. It truly is an engineering masterpiece. One of the best things about the car is the sound of the engine over your left shoulder as you wind the car up.

A a little leatherique leather conditioner would be my recommendation for the leather to moisturize it.

My clutch lets out higher too. It sucks when I switch back to the Mazda since it engages much lower. I sometimes bog or kill the Mazda if I have just driven the NSX. :p

Congrats and welcome!

Congratulations, on your purchase. It truly is an engineering masterpiece. One of the best things about the car is the sound of the engine over your left shoulder as you wind the car up.

A a little leatherique leather conditioner would be my recommendation for the leather to moisturize it.

Yes, although they are in great condition, I saw that they were a bit dry. I used my Zymol leather...just love that banana oil smell! Usually the first buffing doesn't get it all, and I'll probably come home tonight to see the seat "sweating" from the application. The buffing tonight...ahhh that will be the rub:smile:

Edinkali: Is your clutch still in good shape? How long has it been letting up that high?

Congrats! Its possible the reservoir was replaced, hence its new white appearance.

Get the timing belt done if it has not been already and the coolant hoses!

Timing belt was done on 5/2003 when the car had 10,000 miles on it. I think I'm safe waiting until next year. I won't wait much longer than that.

What's the average bill for hoses? What should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Also, she has been run on conventional motor oil. Can I make the switch to Royal Purple synthetic? Would you? When doing a coolant flush, is it ok to use sythetic fluid?

Congrats, and welcome aboard. Please post pics when you get a chance.

Sounds like another happy owner.

Last edited:
T

What's the average bill for hoses? What should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Also, she has been run on conventional motor oil. Can I make the switch to Royal Purple synthetic? Would you? When doing a coolant flush, is it ok to use sythetic fluid?

There are several topics on this. I think about $1k for the job. Do a quick search to be sure.

Fine to switch the oil. She will love you for it.

As for coolant, is there such a thing as synthetic? Just use the Acura stuff.

Edinkali: Is your clutch still in good shape? How long has it been letting up that high?

My clutch is probably due to be changed soon. It doesn't slip yet but it has 125K on it as far as I can tell(I don't see any record of it being changed).

I am so happy for you,reading your letter screams happiness!!
I cant wait for my turn but,the right one has not come up yet!
Its like waiting for the the right babe to marry!!!
Anyway,the longer i wait,the more time to save more$$$$$$
Enjoy it!!!
It is amazing it seems like the N.S.X spirit follows me where ever i go!
I live in Wisconsin,2 weeks ago i went to Austin(Lakeway) to visit my brother,and i saw a black N.S.X drive by,then 2 days later,we drove to South Padre,on the way back i saw a yellow N.S.X drive by!!
You just cannot miss that car,even if drive by it the opposite way at 80 miles per hour!!!!
Enjoy every minute of her,be good,Raico.

Thanks for the nice words everyone! Okay, here is the first batch of photos. They aren't the best, but it's all I can muster up right now with an I-phone. Red is hard for a novice to photograph correctly. Another question...I've driven her just a bit (around the block) and everything works splendidly, however I notice the car sounds very mechanical. The clutch engagement, the air conditioner (which blows cold air) and fans can all be transmitted through the cabin. I love being such an integral part of the car, this is normal, correct? Nothing too loud or unusual, just sounds of things engaging/humming/running! Enjoy!

NSX1.jpg

NSX8.jpg

NSX7.jpg

nsx14.jpg

NSX3.jpg

NSX6.jpg

NSX5.jpg

NSX4.jpg

nsx10.jpg

nsx9.jpg

nsx11.jpg

Was that the one that was at Peabody? I called about it...after it had sold the day before! I was ready to buy it too!

Anyway, VERY nice!

The car looks great, I hope you enjoy it.

Now about feeling bad about yelling "often" at your salesman...

You gonna make that right?

I'll do my best.

If you read enough posts on here, it's easy to get worried about maintenence. I don't know where to begin. Do I just start replacing stuff for the sake of it? I'm aware of the timing belt/water pump. That was done in 2003. Other than that it's just been routine stuff with this car. Should I just start doing everything, or enjoy her?

Time for a road trip!

What could possibly be better than packing it up and driving to Toronto in a few weeks for NSXPO? If you dont know what that is, its the annual meeting of the NSX Club of America.

You will learn more about your new car at NSXPO than by doing anything else. Plus, you'll be with a ton of new friends who all have NSXs.

I'd come!

Info at www.nsxpo.com

You can run RP oil (I used to) but I switched to Mobil 1 as there doesn't seem to be a clear, demonstrated, unambiguous advantage to running RP and it obviously is much more pricey. I change my oil very frequently by mileage standards because I usually only get to drive at the track which requires a change every time.

I wouldn't stress over maintenance if the wp/tb/hoses have been done in 03 unless you detect issues that need attention. I surely wouldn't just go about replacing things as you say like you would the tb/wp deal. I'd surely check the records you should have from the PO to see when scheduled maintenance has been done on fluids, etc. Otherwise - drive it and have fun!

congrats! enjoy the car as is,and don't be "pressured" into modding it just because folks on prime may from time to time suggest every possible alteration:wink:

... I did a quick burst in 1st gear to about 4,000rpm. The noise was sickening...

Is that really what you meant to say?

... One of the best things about the car is the sound of the engine over your left shoulder as you wind the car up.

Blower whine compliments that sound...

congrats! enjoy the car as is,and don't be "pressured" into modding it just because folks on prime may from time to time suggest every possible alteration:wink:

I'm just trying to help, Doc!

Back