• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Think I had a snap-ring failure :(

Has anyone ever heard of some place just replacing the broken snap ring without addressing the flaw that causes the failures?

Unfortunately for some the answer is yes. The upper tranny case needs to be replaced to fix the issue.

man, that would be a rotten deal. to be sure, i'd say get a new tranny, then inspect/fix/sell your old one.

sup man ever get that exhaust put on? :tongue:

It fought me for a few days, but it was worth it. 'Sounds great! :cool:

I've been told I don't have much to worry about from my snap ring. The car has 218k miles on it and no fix has been necessary. My reason for asking is that I am fairly confident that the car, um...endured, some fairly pedestrian use in the hands of the previous owner. I plan to actually use the car as intended (it'll see a track or two and probably a few autocrosses per year).

hmm this is suspect... if the previous owner had the transmission replaced then you shouldn't be having this issue right?? Was the work done at a delaership? If so they should be paying for the repairs since it was supposedly already done!

And here I thought all snap ring failures have been fixed... I guess I was wrong!

If the trans had a broken snap-ring, the service bulletin states "trans replacement". That is what dealers were instructed to do:).

NEWS FLASH:

"non-snapring range" transmissions fail as well sometimes.

HTH,
LarryB

Maybe the previous tranny was replace with a snap ring range tranny and it finally gave out.:confused: Also, a snap ring can fail on a non-snap ring range tranny, as any part can fail.

When my snap ring broke, I went with the SOS rebuilt & blueprinted with the shorties and 4.23 and enjoy the difference. Good luck
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...SX/ScienceofSpeed/transmissions/custom_5-spd/

my 1992 is not in snap ring range but i had the tranny/clutch worked on recently and the mechanic told me the snap ring was "going" and needed replacement.
98,000 miles.

Larry doesn't make me feel too confident all of a sudden about snap rings and my tranny! I have a 91 and with all the free play there is in first - well do you think that may add to the stress on the snap ring?

i can't comment on exact cause of your free-play and if it has anything to do with the ring, but if the snap ring is permitted to move excessively then there are higher stresses on, it is a given. will those cause it to fail? who knows:confused:

I believe I still hold the record for rebuilt NSX trans with no failures- its in the hundreds. I also have the best pricing so before believing that this has to cost thousand AND thousands, give me a call.
Mark

I believe I still hold the record for rebuilt NSX trans with no failures- its in the hundreds. I also have the best pricing so before believing that this has to cost thousand AND thousands, give me a call.
Mark

Are you taking Labor Day off from under an NSX and posting?:biggrin:

It has been a long while since I've seen a post from you, good to see you're back online, even if just for a day. Its been like 6 years since you provided some assistance when I was replacing my snap ring, and it's been great since.

Miner

Back