• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

This is interesting...

I had my clutch replaced 2 months ago and I was never happy with the job because I would usually get a slight chatter when the clutch engaged from a stop in first gear. I generally take off slowly and do not push it very hard. I sent it back once to have it checked and the mechanic told me that it was not a chatter but the engine running rough in the 1000 - 1500 rpm range and that what I was feeling was the roughness tranferring from the engine through the clutch. He was able to improve it somewhat but it was still there and bothered me. Today for the first time with this new clutch I pulled a hole shot and intentionally got some pretty good clutch slippage going. Lo and behold the chatter in nearly gone. I am thinking that the clutch plates were not aligned properly and I must have seated them in better. Is this possible?:rolleyes:

I had my clutch replaced 2 months ago and I was never happy with the job because I would usually get a slight chatter when the clutch engaged from a stop in first gear. I generally take off slowly and do not push it very hard. I sent it back once to have it checked and the mechanic told me that it was not a chatter but the engine running rough in the 1000 - 1500 rpm range and that what I was feeling was the roughness tranferring from the engine through the clutch. He was able to improve it somewhat but it was still there and bothered me. Today for the first time with this new clutch I pulled a hole shot and intentionally got some pretty good clutch slippage going. Lo and behold the chatter in nearly gone. I am thinking that the clutch plates were not aligned properly and I must have seated them in better. Is this possible?:rolleyes:

I've just installed the RPS single plate and had also chatter like you. Now it gets better from mile to mile. I put it in myself and it was not my first clutch job. So I was curious about the reason for the chatter and my final conclusion is the same like yours.

Very hard to comment on this if you do not tell us what clutch you had put in;).

LarryB

With the stock clutch, it's often easier to start from a standstill by blipping the throttle slightly (say, to 2000 RPM), then letting out the clutch as the revs are falling (i.e. 1500ish RPM).

I was just going to post a question to everyone about aftermarket clutches. I bought my 91 with a carbon fibre, single plate clutch. It's one of the weirdest clutches to get "used to" that I have ever driven. I don't know the mfr yet. I'm due to get the paperwork soon (bought it from a friend).

I have to rev the engine before disengaging the clutch at start up, much more than a normal clutch on any other car I have driven. If I down shift, it almost feels like it's grabbing twice. If I shift while not accelerating (3rd to 4th), it sounds like it's double-grabbing (best I can explain it). Do the same shift while accelerating and it's pretty smooth.

Is that normal for this kind of aftermarket clutch? I don't mean to jack your thread but since we're talking clutches, I thought I'd ask.

Steve

I had my clutch replaced by the local Acura dealer with a totally stock clutch 8 years and nearly 30kmi ago. It still chatters if I let the clutch out in the 1500 - 2000 rpm range. At 3000 rpm, no chatter. At the time of the installation, when I complained to the dealer, their answer was you need to rev to 3000 rpm for no chatter.

SInce it was my first NSX and my first car with a dual disc clutch, I took it to be a design quirk. However, Larry B recently suggested that maybe they didn't clean the transmission input shaft adequately, so the throwout bearing drags slightly in spots. I do notice that it seems to be less noticeable when the car is fully warmed up, which might support Larry's theory.

In any case, I have no slippage, no shifting problems, etc. Just some chatter for 8 years.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

one thing you can do to minimize the chattering when shifting, is to not ease into it. Do it in one fluid motion and dont lollygag around and grannyshift the car.

Its almost dumping the clutch but at a lower RPM (1500-2K) this will reduce the chatter. It takes some practice but try it and you will be amazed.

I have experienced chatter on single and dual plate clutches so its all about the technique. This does not mean your clutch is bad. Especially with the RPS clutch as it says on SOS's site that it will chatter since its meant for higher HP usage.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/RPS/

Last edited:
Hey Larry,
I had a complete OEM setup put in by a mechanic that specializes in NSX's. He said that many NSX's tend to run lean and it can be difficult to get them to run smooth at low RPM's. He went as far as replacing both O2 sensors on the left bank that were reading marginal and loosened the engine mount and ran the engine for a while then retightened to get out some vibrations that may have been present. He said there was a service bulletin on this. Like I had said in my original post, I did notice some improvement but after I smoked the clutch it seemed to seat in nice and I barely notice any chatter. Certainly, when I am more aggressive on take offs I do not get chatter but with gas prices being what they are I have been trying to drive a bit more conservative. Hope this info is helpful to others that have this problem.
Nick

With the stock clutch, it's often easier to start from a standstill by blipping the throttle slightly (say, to 2000 RPM), then letting out the clutch as the revs are falling (i.e. 1500ish RPM).

exactly.. letting the clutch out quickly and not easing into it... spot on! ;)

Back