• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Those with STMPO rear chassis brace may be interested.

About a week before I was going to put the car away last year the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as bad valve assembly control unit part # 17290-PR7-A01. Ordered it and was planning to replace it myself over the winter months. No hurry. Finally got around to it and when I was removing the vacuum lines around it one of them broke off. I mean one of the metal vacuum lines broke off. It was the top one with the number 1 on it. This line went directly to the valve unit I was replacing. I probably really didn't need the valve unit as this metal vacuum line was probably cracked when it was diagnosed and that is what gave the false reading to the mechanic leading him to that part he said to replace. I think, I know that the metal vacuum lines were rubbing on the STMPO brace every time the engine would rev. The brace is notched out in this area but apparently not enough. I had to order the new vacuum line assembly part # 17400-PR7-000 . I ended up putting some washers under the rear strut brace to raise it where it won't make contact with the vacuum lines. Only time will tell. If you guys have the rear STMPO brace on your cars , you may want to have a look. I hope I have explained myself well enough. P2210213.jpgP2210216.jpgP2210217.jpgP2210218.jpgP2210219.jpg

Those vacuum lines are very similar to large paperclips... If you bend a paperclip once = it maintains its integrity. If you move it back and forth over and over again... the paperclip will break.

As long as the line is bent for additional clearance during installation this problem will be avoided.

Broken motor mounts would add to the problem as well.

Do you know if your lines were touching the bar? I just checked mine and there is at least an 1/8th of an inch clearance at that point. I'm just wondering if that is enough or if there needs to be a bit more.

did the vaccum line you ordered have the number "-1-" on it, or was it just a regular grey coloured vacuum line? Thanks..

Do you know if your lines were touching the bar? I just checked mine and there is at least an 1/8th of an inch clearance at that point. I'm just wondering if that is enough or if there needs to be a bit more.

They were definitely touching. The rear brace had a spot worn in to it.

- - - Updated - - -

did the vaccum line you ordered have the number "-1-" on it, or was it just a regular grey coloured vacuum line? Thanks..

The rubber vacuum lines were fine. The part I had to order was the cluster of metal vacuum lines.

There was a thread about this awhile ago. IIRC, it varied depending on the year of the car. I have an '05 and those vacuum lines are all angled down and well away from the bar. The angle/bend in those lines was factory, as I did not bend them.

Kenny

There is very little clearance on my 2000 and I know there is some rub on my #1 vacuum line
Have discussed the placement and width of the "notch" with Ross awhile ago, I just haven't had a chance to drive over and show it to him in person.
I like the RTSB and it does exactly what Ross designed it to do

Options:
1. bend your lines a bit for clearance
2. take a dremel or angle grinder to the RTSB (off the car.. of course)
3. use washers like OP suggested
4. remove and replace with the thin OEM bar
5. use something else

BlackbirdXX, check your engine for excess movement, might indicate a broken motor mount

I have attached a few pictures I just took of my RTSB and vacuum lines

best angle that shows rub.jpg - Good angle that shows rub.jpg - opposite angle that shows rub.jpg

Last edited:
You should PM 9doors... he had the same issue and worked with Ross (STMPO) to address it. If I remember correctly, it was an issue found only in 2001 models.

-Steve

Could you not install a engine damper? Blackend i think it was offered one for the Nsx this would minimize engine movement.

Back