• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on the Bose Wave system ?

Not taking sides, but let's not forget which stock sound system came w/ our cars :biggrin:

Our antenna doesn't go down either... whats your point? :smile:

The Bose FAQ:
http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/stereo/bosefaq.htm

Hey Turbo2Go, has Parasound reliability improved at all in the past decade?

Yes, it is a world better. They used to be REALLY bad. They have worked out most of the issues, they are one of the better companies now. Still not problem free, but honestly in this business no one is. Onkyo has their fair share of issues too. I have piles of Onkyo gear in my basement.

Great marketing, they also do a good job of making products that are easy to use. They have less of a Japanese over-feature and over-button mentality and that has helped them a lot. They also have outstanding customer service, they should, considering the cost/retail ratio of their products. Nonetheless their support and service is one of the best in the industry. They also know how to fill a hole in the marketplace, something others can't seem to figure out. They thrive because in certain areas others are incredibly weak. I had a meeting with the guys at Yamaha a while back and they couldn't understand why we did not care about 45 different surround modes. Too many companies still get too caught up in things consumers don't care about, and that is where Bose comes in.

I am fairly certain that Bose has some pretty hefty ink down on contracts with car manufacturers, people think that because Bose is in their Infiniti, it should also be in their living room. Its a strategy that works. Bose is still a privately held company.

Great marketing, they also do a good job of making products that are easy to use. They have less of a Japanese over-feature and over-button mentality and that has helped them a lot. They also have outstanding customer service, they should, considering the cost/retail ratio of their products. Nonetheless their support and service is one of the best in the industry. They also know how to fill a hole in the marketplace, something others can't seem to figure out. They thrive because in certain areas others are incredibly weak. I had a meeting with the guys at Yamaha a while back and they couldn't understand why we did not care about 45 different surround modes. Too many companies still get too caught up in things consumers don't care about, and that is where Bose comes in.

I am fairly certain that Bose has some pretty hefty ink down on contracts with car manufacturers, people think that because Bose is in their Infiniti, it should also be in their living room. Its a strategy that works. Bose is still a privately held company.

The BOSE system in the GT-R seems okay, but if it blows it's gota be BOSE hehe. Okay no more cracks.

I would like a simple sound system for my living room......I notice that these units are in very high demand (numerous bids) on e-bay. Any satisfied listeners here ?

The key thing is that you are looking for a simple sound system. If that is the case, then Bose will likely work fine. I, along with a few other posters here, object to the lofty status Bose tries to appoint itself. Simple and unassuming, yes. State of the art - no. The problem most Bose owners have is when they listen to a more sophisticated (and expensive) system. That is when the upgrade bug happens. Take it from someone who has been there. Good luck!

Let me get this straight, the salesman confessed something to you that he would not tell "the average person"? What made you so special?............

He had a gun..............:biggrin:

Do yourself a favor and for the price of a wave system, buy some real components that you can expand on.

I am not a fan of Bose either, that is why I am replacing the stereo in my NSX. Its only good for Talk Radio. :)

lots of bose haters:eek: LOL

i am a fan of bose, my parents have been using boses for over 10 years, (comple lifestyle system, and wave radio) and both sound great, and i am looking to get a bose 321

and the "no highs, no lows, it must be bose" whatever pal, the lifestyle system pounds, and it still does, not to mention the trick remote on the bose system works from anywhere within like 100 feet threw walls, etc:cool:

lots of bose haters:eek: LOL

i am a fan of bose, my parents have been using boses for over 10 years, (comple lifestyle system, and wave radio) and both sound great, and i am looking to get a bose 321

and the "no highs, no lows, it must be bose" whatever pal, the lifestyle system pounds, and it still does, not to mention the trick remote on the bose system works from anywhere within like 100 feet threw walls, etc:cool:

Bose is the McDonald's of Audio. Most people eat it and like it but it's not a good product.

the lifestyle system pounds, and it still does, not to mention the trick remote on the bose system works from anywhere within like 100 feet threw walls, etc:cool:

And you are like 90% of the other people that just want something to pound walls and that's cool. Just know that once you get into high end audio it's a different world and it will make the music sound different and you will hear things on the cd that you never heard before.

And you are like 90% of the other people that just want something to pound walls and that's cool. Just know that once you get into high end audio it's a different world and it will make the music sound different and you will hear things on the cd that you never heard before.

I didn't buy my Bose to pound anything, but instead because it is good sound that is reliable, compact, easy, convenient, and I bought it over time with no interest. The sound quality is not bad, as some here want to make others think.

i said that in response to whatever clowns "no highs, no lows, it must be bose" joke

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, if any of you guys are feeling generous, I'll be happy to forsake the BOSE when you sell your cars and buy me some Shindo products
http://www.toneimports.com/shindo/shindohome.html

Oh yeah Mike-san,
Those shindo Latour speakers are f'ing amazing!!! Though admittedly I've never seen (or heard) a pair in person, the design is phenominal from both an aesthetic and engineering standpoint. Field coil drivers make me salivate. If only they didn't cost as much as a new nsx, I'd have a pair.
Bose is a marketting machine and their products are not even in the same ballpark as real hi-fi like shindo labs' stuff. Even if a mid-fi/lo-fi system is sufficient for your needs, better products are available at a lower price.

Actually the "no high no lows must be Bose" is incorrect. That's pretty much what acoustimass systems hit, the highs and some lows with a big ass hole in the middle. They really lack in lower midrange and upper bass. There is a HUUUUGE gap in where the little cubes leave off in the low end, and where the bass module has to pickup. Its also because the bass module has to make up that gap that it is not so good with any truly deep bass.

The McDonalds analogy is very good actually. Most of Bose systems are like a Big Mac. Most people are fine with it, but they have no inherent quality. If that works for you, that is fine. No need to get upset. Just don't go telling others about how great it is. The smallest amount of research will get you equipment that is much better in terms of sound quality for less money. If you pickup a cheap used Bose system, which I did and gave to my sister, is fine. She likes the cute remote and that it is small. It sounds OK to my sister... but for someone like me that has heard good systems... I would toss it out the window if I had to listen to it for more than a week.

I used to do a demo for people side by side of an acoustimass system with a real speaker system which was completely against Bose's "policy" (they do not look fondly at any sort of direct side by side showroom comparison, and you will lose the line if you continue to do so), and everyone was always FLOORED at all the sound that was missing with the acoustimass system. Until they heard them side by side, they never thought anything was missing. That is the entire concept that Bose operates on.

Actually the "no high no lows must be Bose" is incorrect. That's pretty much what acoustimass systems hit, the highs and some lows with a big ass hole in the middle. They really lack in lower midrange and upper bass. There is a HUUUUGE gap in where the little cubes leave off in the low end, and where the bass module has to pickup. Its also because the bass module has to make up that gap that it is not so good with any truly deep bass.

The McDonalds analogy is very good actually. Most of Bose systems are like a Big Mac. Most people are fine with it, but they have no inherent quality. If that works for you, that is fine. No need to get upset. Just don't go telling others about how great it is. The smallest amount of research will get you equipment that is much better in terms of sound quality for less money. If you pickup a cheap used Bose system, which I did and gave to my sister, is fine. She likes the cute remote and that it is small. It sounds OK to my sister... but for someone like me that has heard good systems... I would toss it out the window if I had to listen to it for more than a week.

I used to do a demo for people side by side of an acoustimass system with a real speaker system which was completely against Bose's "policy" (they do not look fondly at any sort of direct side by side showroom comparison, and you will lose the line if you continue to do so), and everyone was always FLOORED at all the sound that was missing with the acoustimass system. Until they heard them side by side, they never thought anything was missing. That is the entire concept that Bose operates on.

good feedback. i use the bose sounddock (photo below) for my ipod and to my ears, it sounds pretty good. i'm curious if you have a recommendation for a competing product / similar $'s. thx in advance.

Attachments

• p_sounddock_m_w.jpg
    p_sounddock_m_w.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 13
Bose does a good job with a lot of products. I don't really know enough about the ipod docks but theirs is probably a pretty good one. I mean its an ipod dock... its all compromised anyway. Their headphones are good too. Overpriced, but good.

They do not make a remotely decent center channel. Its all thin and low profile and all really bad. Like I said they can't do midrange well at all with those tiny drivers and that is what a center channel does. Produce midrange like vocals. In fact any good vocal on any Bose system is HIGHLY innacurate. It sounds OK at first, until you hear what it is supposed to sound like on a real speaker system. Then it will become unacceptable to you.

Bose is also good at using their own music for demos... this stuff is VERY well recorded. What you are hearing often is actually a great recording, not a great speaker system. But people don't know. They buy the box, take it home, and never having had a frame of reference, don't miss the quality. Their ears get used to the lack of midrange, and after a while they think mids are TOO pronounced in correct systems. This is how hearing is. Turn the treble up for 10 minutes in your car system then go back to normal and it will sound dull. Turn it down for ten minutes then go back to normal and it will sound bright. You need a good reference and some amount of experience to be able to tell if something is good or lousy, and most people have never had that. They go from a 1970's system or a clock radio right over to the Bose and when you do that, it sounds great in comparison.

Actually the "no high no lows must be Bose" is incorrect. That's pretty much what acoustimass systems hit, the highs and some lows with a big ass hole in the middle. They really lack in lower midrange and upper bass.

Although, as I mentioned before, I am very satisfied with my Wave and Lifestyle systems for the purposes for which I use them, you are absolutely right about their lack of midrange.

good feedback. i use the bose sounddock (photo below) for my ipod and to my ears, it sounds pretty good. i'm curious if you have a recommendation for a competing product / similar $'s. thx in advance.

I own that system, good sounding for a small room, but not good for a large living room. Definitely not worth the 300 dollar price tag. I bought it out of convenience because I had some credit through a electronic store. I would have chose a JBL system over that.

The truth is, if you have a iPod, some of the $100 computer system will sound just as good, if not better than the Bose system.

I still remember the days when I worked at the Good Guys and Circuit city when I get to buy any Bose product for 60% off, and I didn't buying into their program. Some of the Bose reps did even have them....lol

BTW Mike, are you planning to use it with your TV. Not so much a surround sound system, but have a nicer sound than the TV speakers?

Back