• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Thoughts on the new NSX vs the upcoming Viper and R8 v10?

Are they all worthy contenders in the same price range? I know MSRP of these cars are not all set in stone yet but just wondering if the potential owners of these 3 cars would cross-shop each other?

Performance wise who wins?

Look wise?

Any current NSX owners considering any of these 3 cars and why? :biggrin:

Love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic!

The Viper will be a "brute" compared to the NSX.

Lots of torque, lots of raw power. All-aluminum is a trend in the right direction, but OHVs is so 1960s. That's 50 years ago.

It will still have substandard plastic interior typical of Dodge cars, and most likely a substandard reliability record.

I'll pass.

The R8 will probably be very fun to drive, but simply too expensive (for me) to own, with respect to maintenance and upgrades.

The new viper will have a higher power to weight ratio than the aventador, with traction control. Also, they have increased chassis stiffness considerably, and most of the bodywork is now carbon fiber.

I'm going back and forth between the two; pricing once equipped should be similar. SRT is running a few dozen test mules, so they're much further along than Honda at the moment:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 329557_10150977249801377_2107305731_o.jpg
    329557_10150977249801377_2107305731_o.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,054
1) Love the R8, still available with a 3rd pedal
2) New Viper will be a beast, looks better too (3rd pedal also available)
3) New NSX, hybrid, no 3rd pedal, totally different than the other two above.

For my $$, R8, than Viper, than (new) NSX, JMHO
Love my garage the way it is now!!!!

Last edited:
1) Love the R8, still available with a 3rd pedal
3) New NSX, hybrid, no 3rd pedal, totally different than the other two above.

For my $$, R8, than Viper, than (new) NSX, JMHO
Love my garage the way it is now!!!!

What he said :)

Did they set a release date and MSRP for the new Viper?

Closest to actual confirmation is a stumble during Jay Leno's garage, where the marketing director for SRT responds to Jay's question of "It will be around $110k" with the response of "slightly North of that" - I read this as ~$120k.

The 2010's were around $90k base, although the ACR option was another $15k.

Options are navigation, and a track pack, which includes stoptech brake discs. Also electronic dampers for the GTS model, which was just unveiled a few days ago. GTS is more of a touring version, with more options available, and a less aggressive aero package.

In fact, 6-speed manual is all that's available.

webwi.jpg

Last edited:
Closest to actual confirmation is a stumble during Jay Leno's garage, where the marketing director for SRT responds to Jay's question of "It will be around $110k" with the response of "slightly North of that" - I read this as ~$120k.

The 2010's were around $90k base, although the ACR option was another $15k.

Options are navigation, and a track pack, which includes stoptech brake discs. Also electronic dampers for the GTS model, which was just unveiled a few days ago. GTS is more of a touring version, with more options available, and a less aggressive aero package.

In fact, 6-speed manual is all that's available.

webwi.jpg

^that is a beautiful stance - is this car available already? I would love to see one in person to decide. 540+ hp is nothing to sneeze at, will this car beat the GTR?

I agree with the selection order so far though still:

r8 v10 (manual)

Viper

NSX (new one)

^that is a beautiful stance - is this car available already? I would love to see one in person to decide. 540+ hp is nothing to sneeze at, will this car beat the GTR?

It's actually 640hp, and 600lb.ft of torque (making it the highest-torque production car available).

Production is scheduled to start at the end of this year, it's referred to as a 2013 model in press.

The new Viper sounds very promising. I wonder how it will hold up as a daily driver against the GTR or the new NSX. I think I'm over the R8, I like the car but it doesn't scream exotic to me as much as it once did.

It's actually 640hp, and 600lb.ft of torque (making it the highest-torque production car available).

Production is scheduled to start at the end of this year, it's referred to as a 2013 model in press.

Many AMG's have >600tq, not that 600tq isn't completely sufficient because it is. I have high hopes for the C7 and new Viper.

The Viper will be a "brute" compared to the NSX.

Lots of torque, lots of raw power. All-aluminum is a trend in the right direction, but OHVs is so 1960s. That's 50 years ago.

It will still have substandard plastic interior typical of Dodge cars, and most likely a substandard reliability record.

I'll pass.

The R8 will probably be very fun to drive, but simply too expensive (for me) to own, with respect to maintenance and upgrades.

Hey Chrysler, he is going to pass even though if the R8 is out of your range than the Viper will be too. And, what is wrong with this interior? Reliability issues... So much misinformation.

SD_2013-SRT-Viper-Interior.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Chrysler, he is going to pass even though if the R8 is out of your range than the Viper will be too. And, what is wrong with this interior? Reliability issues... So much misinformation.

SD_2013-SRT-Viper-Interior.jpg

The Viper interior is much improved from it's past. But that picture is flattering. That silver you see in there is actually grey plastic. It cheapens the look of the new interior. This was discussed in another thread, but couldn't they just spring for brushed aluminum instead? I mean really...

The Viper interior is much improved from it's past. But that picture is flattering. That silver you see in there is actually grey plastic. It cheapens the look of the new interior. This was discussed in another thread, but couldn't they just spring for brushed aluminum instead? I mean really...

I mean really... that is the gripe, the silver bezels are not real aluminum. :confused: I think people are picking one too many nits here. This is a 640hp, 600tq car, stock. The interior is very nice and I would hardly say it could be viewed as a negative.

I have never driven one so I can't say if I would like it but it has me with looks, HP and interior so far. In general, NSX owners will not enjoy Viper's as historically they have been very crude machines. The new one might change that.

R8 and new NSX I can see as being a dilemma, but honestly the Viper just seems like such a different vehicle entirely. I could understand deciding between a Viper and a Vette, but not a Viper vs R8/NSX - its apples and oranges in my mind. Just have to figure out which sort of fruit you want.

I think that maybe you should go out and look at the Acura/Honda "super car" that we have in our garage, and see what the trim is on our dash, console, etc, you might change your tune a little!!!

I mean really... that is the gripe, the silver bezels are not real aluminum. :confused: I think people are picking one too many nits here. This is a 640hp, 600tq car, stock. The interior is very nice and I would hardly say it could be viewed as a negative.

I have never driven one so I can't say if I would like it but it has me with looks, HP and interior so far. In general, NSX owners will not enjoy Viper's as historically they have been very crude machines. The new one might change that.
I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, and if I know you Aaron, maybe you'll take me for a ride in your new one!!!!!

R8 and new NSX I can see as being a dilemma, but honestly the Viper just seems like such a different vehicle entirely. I could understand deciding between a Viper and a Vette, but not a Viper vs R8/NSX - its apples and oranges in my mind. Just have to figure out which sort of fruit you want.

That's what makes horse races. I could definitely see myself in the R8, or the new Viper (both with 3 pedals), but a hybrid with "flappy paddles", I have a difficult time getting excited about!!!

Back