• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for some new cats.

Hey all,

Well, the catalytic converters on my 97 are making that busted coffee can rattle sound and it is time to replace them. Good news is I don't have to worry about passing emissions testing as strict as CA. What is everyones favorite replacements for the cats?

Thanks in advance!

Hey!
I'm in North Carolina (Raleigh) and was checking out the SOS option. Looks good, do you have them or ever been exposed to them?
Saw you were in WNC, is that Western North Carolina?

Thanks for the feedback

I have not personally used them but SOS is a rock solid company and their are other owners that speak highly of their catalytic convertors.

I am in Western NC, Asheville. You should come to the Mideast NSX meet in Raleigh next month!!! Check the SE forum for details

I have not personally used them but SOS is a rock solid company and their are other owners that speak highly of their catalytic convertors.

I am in Western NC, Asheville. You should come to the Mideast NSX meet in Raleigh next month!!! Check the SE forum for details

Thanks for the advice and I'm so there for the NSX meet! Can't wait, be my first one as an owner.

Hey all,

Well, the catalytic converters on my 97 are making that busted coffee can rattle sound and it is time to replace them. Good news is I don't have to worry about passing emissions testing as strict as CA. What is everyones favorite replacements for the cats?

Thanks in advance!

I had really good luck with the Pride cats on my 91. Passed smog no problem, and we have pretty high standards here in Colorado.

there are a set of OEM 97 Cats (in very good shape) for sale from a forum member here [MENTION=5622]nsx[/MENTION]aficianado

I have SOS HFC on my nsx

these are basically wide test pipes disguised to look like “catalytic converters” they are totally hollow on the inside (at least mine are, they came with the car)

my car sounds glorious but when I did run normal test pipes I noticed my rear bumper would be become dirtier much faster

I'm kind of a catalytic converter geek. I have had various set of HF cats which i'll chronicle below.

- Random Cats - I can't remember who sold these but they were "ok". I didn't burn them out with a slightly richer running CTSC
- Angus Cats - I got these when I transitioned to a 00+ header to a 91-94 muffler. One of the cat elements is now kind of loose in there but still works fine.
- No Name brand - I think these were one of the old Dali cats with a generic core. Didn't keep for very long. Was stinky stink...compared to the previous 2.
- Magnaflow bullet cats - back when they still sold these in CA. They worked fine but this was with my valved exhaust where at WOT and/or VTEC the cats are bypassed
* The other cats sold (Pride, etc) just seem like the standard widely circulated China cat. I have no personal exp with Pride cats but my experience tells me i'd render them useless after 5k-10k miles.

None of the above passes CA smog at least in my car with various ECU tunes including stock.

Currently in my garage...
- SOS cats (not the high hp one). These seem to work pretty well. I have not smog tested it as I don't have a smog tune to accompany it yet but they seem delicate. I would not recommend these for an NSX unless it's on the OEM ECU tune which is rather lean. I'd be very curious which element their using for their high HP ones. Chris normally pics good quality stuff. My guess is Kook's racing cats is the manufacturer.

My latest experiment is below. HJS. In all my years of research these seem to be the cat's meow in terms of motorsports grade performance cats that actually works as proper converters. These have highest precious metals content on a per square inch basis (internally). It was a huge PITA to get these shipped to CA. These are what Porsche Motorsport uses and are German made. They were $$$ and i'm excited to get them fabricated into my setup.

I know this is above and beyond what you asked but cats are kind of my weird guilty passion.

ACtC-3eIRZ-Kwox5IEhNGwPGqqksDmcZyG9iShPdmfeRKekkLT5q0AGKO39PUw_AS9xWHeVs3u1OpNGEBHN86YGkV_UjgZOMDsCak6S34_ta0q4P8bnLgCpbk5rhn5HmQjYCXVpKStIBrJJswpn5aAJjbR_GSA=w702-h935-no

Last edited:
Interesting to hear your thoughts on these, RYU.

My car is a tad rich so I'm too afraid to put cats on them and have them burn out on me in a few thousand miles. My guess is that only Christian from ATR can meet your level of hi-flow cat arsenal. To my knowledge he's the only one on this forum willing to shell out for the SARD catalyzers: http://www.rf-yamamoto.com/NSXexhaust/12.html

I'm kind of a catalytic converter geek. I have had various set of HF cats which i'll chronicle below.

- Random Cats - I can't remember who sold these but they were "ok". I didn't burn them out with a slightly richer running CTSC
- Angus Cats - I got these when I transitioned to a 00+ header to a 91-94 muffler. One of the cat elements is now kind of loose in there but still works fine.
- No Name brand - I think these were one of the old Dali cats with a generic core. Didn't keep for very long. Was stinky stink...compared to the previous 2.
- Magnaflow bullet cats - back when they still sold these in CA. They worked fine but this was with my valved exhaust where at WOT and/or VTEC the cats are bypassed
* The other cats sold (Pride, etc) just seem like the standard widely circulated China cat. I have no personal exp with Pride cats but my experience tells me i'd render them useless after 5k-10k miles.

None of the above passes CA smog at least in my car with various ECU tunes including stock.

Currently in my garage...
- SOS cats (not the high hp one). These seem to work pretty well. I have not smog tested it as I don't have a smog tune to accompany it yet but they seem delicate. I would not recommend these for an NSX unless it's on the OEM ECU tune which is rather lean. I'd be very curious which element their using for their high HP ones. Chris normally pics good quality stuff. My guess is Kook's racing cats is the manufacturer.

My latest experiment is below. HJS. In all my years of research these seem to be the cat's meow in terms of motorsports grade performance cats that actually works as proper converters. These have highest precious metals content on a per square inch basis (internally). It was a huge PITA to get these shipped to CA. These are what Porsche Motorsport uses and are German made. They were $$$ and i'm excited to get them fabricated into my setup.

I know this is above and beyond what you asked but cats are kind of my weird guilty passion.

ACtC-3eIRZ-Kwox5IEhNGwPGqqksDmcZyG9iShPdmfeRKekkLT5q0AGKO39PUw_AS9xWHeVs3u1OpNGEBHN86YGkV_UjgZOMDsCak6S34_ta0q4P8bnLgCpbk5rhn5HmQjYCXVpKStIBrJJswpn5aAJjbR_GSA=w702-h935-no

This is amazing feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge! Pretty sure that my car is running the factory ECU Tune. Also, in NC, we stop checking emission levels at either 20 or 25 years. Either way, I'm good after this year. Would you say that the SOS cats are good enough for daily driving?

I have SOS HFC on my nsx

these are basically wide test pipes disguised to look like “catalytic converters” they are totally hollow on the inside (at least mine are, they came with the car)

my car sounds glorious but when I did run normal test pipes I noticed my rear bumper would be become dirtier much faster

Thanks for the feedback!

I have had Random technology cats on my car for 15+ years. They are the same internal diameter as my headers and exhaust. They sound louder but not like test pipe loud. I have no idea emissions wise, but they don’t throw crap on the back of the bumper like test/gutted cats. I tried them both and the sound is not for me (they drone a lot). My car is not boosted currently on a stock tune. So the cats seem to hold up just fine. I got about 50k miles on them now.

I would probably go with The SOS option if I got new ones they are readily available. I don’t think Random is even around anymore.

Last edited:

Very interesting, have not heard of HJS before. Did you wind up sourcing through Fabspeed?

Very interesting, have not heard of HJS before. Did you wind up sourcing through Fabspeed?
I sourced them through an old contact. He had some left to sell. My issue was shipping them to CA. I don't believe it's allowed in our state w/o certifications, etc. I don't really know the exact reason. Summit Racing wouldn't let me ship cats to CA as an example.

A friend of mine bought an exhaust system for his BMW, they came with HJS as well.

Check out the manufacturer that SOS uses (see above). It seems their cats are a bit more sorted in terms of legal compliance?

If you want my HJS contact just DM me.

What’s so bad about the cats that the Overlords of California won’t let you ship them there. Are they ceramic coated Black and scary?

Back