• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt, Water Pump and Camshaft Belt Tensioner (EBAY)

I have a coupon from Ebay for 15% off everything which expires today. I figured to take advantage and order the timing belt replacement parts for an upcoming service.

With coupon the price would be $350.00.

Has anyone ever ordered this from Ebay and is it as good as other options which are out there. By this I mean price as well as quality of components.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Free 48 State Shipping on Most Products

SAVE SELLER
Bookmark us!

<nav id="nav" role="navigation">
</nav>

All ListingsNewly ListedEnding SoonAuctionsBuy It Now

DY_WP231K1AS_Fro.jpg

[h=1]Dayco WP231K1AS Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump for 91-05 Acura NSX[/h] $411.98
FEATURES
Brand: Dayco
Part Number: WP231K1AS

<tbody>
</tbody>

OK quick check and I see that same kit is available for $321 shipped through Rock Auto.

Same questions exists as to whether this is a quality kit worth purchasing or if there are better alternatives.

You are probably just fine. I have no problem using aftermarket parts like this on low volume cars as they tend to be OEM; it is not worth it for aftermarket folks to make cheap knock offs.

You can do it for $167 with the same kit from Amazon if you have a low mile/hour timing belt cahnge.
https://www.amazon.com/Dayco-95231K...id=1538260295&sr=8-5&keywords=nsx+timing+belt

Or add in another $92 for the pump
https://www.amazon.com/GMB-135-2085...=UTF8&qid=1538260784&sr=8-5&keywords=135-2085

(please verify parts, it is your car after all)

FYI: Always run raw part numbers (factory, OEM and aftermarket) through Amazon. Enterprising folks will buy up old inventory, post it on Amazon/Ebay and have no idea what the application is. And usually they will just have a cut rate price for it too. I've picked up some amazing deals that I've just turned around and resold at insane markups with the proper name.

Because you'll find the NSX pump for $35 too
https://www.amazon.com/Hytec-Automo...=UTF8&qid=1538260784&sr=8-4&keywords=135-2085

Notes:
The TB change on the NSX is just plain difficult. Do not attempt if you are on any type of a deadline. You will need mirrors, zip ties and a nice selection of wrenches.

You may need to modify your engine covers.

It is difficult to determine the manufacture date of a new on the shelf timing belt. Honda doesn't even have dates on their parts. I don't know if it matters. I picked up a Gates TB a year ago that was >20 years old, I sent it back.

Last edited:
Yea you need to make sure the timing belt is indeed new as the recommended replacement interval is (I believe) 7 years (or xx,000 miles). I never hit the mileage but the clock is always ticking on the 7 years.

>you need to make sure the timing belt is indeed new as the recommended replacement interval

Do you know how to do this? I have not found the DOM on the timing belts or the packages. The exception is the very old Gates box that was sent to me in 2018, the new boxes are mute on the date and emails corporate were unanswered in regards to the later boxes.

I have an OEM Honda one in a bag and I have no idea how old it is; there are no markings other than the part number. I have a thread on this, with no great answers.

Though I did order unrelated parts from an OEM source recently (06/2018) and it was labled "Vintage Parts" from Honda. So it may be that Honda does note the age of their stock internally.

> (I believe) 7 years (or xx,000 miles)

USDM was upgraded to 9 years and and 105,000 miles. I am pretty sure this was in response to CARB requiring smog control parts to be warranted to 100K miles.

JDM is still 7 (5 per Kaz) years 100k KM (~60K miles) for the same part numbers. See Kaz's post for his take on it, I'm just a hack. http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?698-Timing-Belt-Service-Interval

datum: I run mine all the way up to 9 years with a CTSC, hot climate and no track time.

Last edited:
Do you know how to do this? I have not found the DOM on the timing belts or the packages. The exception is the very old Gates box that was sent to me in 2018, the new boxes are mute on the date and emails corporate were unanswered in regards to the later boxes.

Unfortunately, I do not. I only mention it to be wary of cheaper parts like this listed on Ebay, etc. We aren't talking shift knobs or some other part with an unlimited shelf life so IMO it's better not to skimp...get the real thing from a dealer.

Unfortunately, I do not. I only mention it to be wary of cheaper parts like this listed on Ebay, etc. We aren't talking shift knobs or some other part with an unlimited shelf life so IMO it's better not to skimp...get the real thing from a dealer.

Where is the best source for the Timing Belt/Water Pump, Tensioner, Coolant Hoses, Oil Pan Gasket, VTEC Solenoid Gasket, etc. (Major Service - New Owner)
I would like to get quality parts but trying to save money where possible.

Thanks,

These parts likely are the real thing. Honda itself does not produce these parts- in other words, there are no water pumps and timing belts rolling out of a Honda factory. Honda buys these parts from suppliers just like us. These parts are very likely off-brand units being sold for a price similar to what Honda pays. Given the low volume of NSX parts, I highly doubt a company would go to the trouble of creating even a "knock-off" version of these complex parts, as it would require specific machinery and capital investment.

Where is the best source for the Timing Belt/Water Pump, Tensioner, Coolant Hoses, Oil Pan Gasket, VTEC Solenoid Gasket, etc. (Major Service - New Owner)
I would like to get quality parts but trying to save money where possible.

Thanks,

I have used Tim at Acura of Peoria for more than a decade. Prices 25-30% off retail plus free shipping for orders over $50 for NSXCA members.

These parts likely are the real thing. Honda itself does not produce these parts- in other words, there are no water pumps and timing belts rolling out of a Honda factory. Honda buys these parts from suppliers just like us. These parts are very likely off-brand units being sold for a price similar to what Honda pays. Given the low volume of NSX parts, I highly doubt a company would go to the trouble of creating even a "knock-off" version of these complex parts, as it would require specific machinery and capital investment.

I have used Tim at Acura of Peoria for more than a decade. Prices 25-30% off retail plus free shipping for orders over $50 for NSXCA members.

Thanks much for that helpful information.

> Honda buys these parts from suppliers just like us.

Right. A few months ago I had a discussion with an exec at Gates (highly trusted parts). He stated there is only one supplier that they know of for the T231 belt and it is in Japan . Also the T231 belt is only used in the NSX engine.

It is likely that all T231 belts come from the same manufacturer in Japan.

Right. A few months ago I had a discussion with an exec at Gates (highly trusted parts). He stated there is only one supplier that they know of for the T231 belt and it is in Japan . Also the T231 belt is only used in the NSX engine.

Well, that is leaving me all warm and fuzzy about the future! Rockauto lists inventory at just 2 Dayco and 2 Gates belts. I wonder if there are just 2 belts and somebody slips them into different packages depending on which one you buy?

Back