• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tires for stock '95 wheels

More information. I have Yokohama S. drives on it now. They are O.K., but never felt like the Michelin Pilot Sports it came with (and they don't make a 16 anymore). Debating the OEM RE010 or Yokohama AO22HO or ? Any ideas from you guys would be welcome... The Goodyear mentioned above seems to be well liked, but the 16 is the wrong size...Anyway, enough rambling...someone help me out.

A 205/55/16 is a very tall tire for the front. You'd probably have to raise the car up so it didn't rub and then it would still rub quite a bit on turns.

Grassroots Motorsports just tested the new "almost" R tires....

They loved the new Kumho XS. Fastest time, and they said had the best turn in, feel and break away predictability. Beat out the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec, RE-11 and Falken 615. I talked to a friend that is running them on the track and said that unlike the 615s, the new Khumos loved the heat... they went 30 minute sessions all day without getting greasy and fading at the end of the sessions. I haven't tried them yet, but I can definitely second that the 615s started great and gave out as they got hot.

Available in OEM size 215/45/16 & 245/40/17 or 255/40/17.
Tirerack - $99 F / $140 ($148) R

It's most definitely going to be my next set.

Last edited:
Hey, I was going to recommend the XS' but thought since the OP was running the Goodyears that they were more comfort oriented. :p :p :p

Hey, I was going to recommend the XS' but thought since the OP was running the Goodyears that they were more comfort oriented. :p :p :p

If you never track the car, the Goodyears are great. However, on the track the soft sidewall makes the car feel very sloppy. I have run my Goodyears F1GSD3 on the track to their limits and I didn't like them at all. Can't wait to wear them out so I can try out the Kuhmo XS.

I have had the Kumho XS's for over a month now. I love them as a daily-driver compared to the old Kumho MX's (quiet, good wet/dry traction). These have a 180 treadwear, but I've heard from a Kumho engineer they are more like a 140 (just a tad over R compunds at 100). I can't comment as to how good they are on a track (endurance, sound feedback, etc), but I like them for the street (traction, responsiveness, and noise).

For a daily-driver, I would conservatively treat them as an R-compound tire that gets extremely hard and brittle near freezing temps so be careful. Toyo, for example, warns about the cracking on their website.

CL65Captain started a thread on them over here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112085

Dave

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the Star Spec's or the XS. The Star Specs only have a 205/50R16 for the front, is that going to be O.K.? Want to keep the suspension stock. The XS comes in the right size, and that may win. I drive my car every day, do not track, but love to push on/off ramps. So.........

Both are top tier performance tires. I would go with the XS because it comes in the stock sizes. If you had 17's all around, then it would be the Z1's. Both of these tires are a step up in performance from the Goodyears with a mix of the usual trade-offs.

I noticed that your in San Diego. Figure out what tires you want and go buy them at Bears Tire in Miramar. The have the best prices, better than Tire Rack. And no shipping plus they will install/balance it for you.

Talk to Tom.

I went with the Dunlop Star Specs, got them on today. The 205/50 R16 in front seems fine so far. I'm getting it aligned tomorrow. I will post when I have enough miles on them to really have an opinion. I can already tell a difference in the sharpness of turns but I'm trying to be easy to break them in. Any opinions on what to do or not do the first 500 miles? Thanks again for the feedback.

Past 500 miles now and these are great tires for this car. They are very responsive, grip well in dry and wet, quiet, and they even look good. I highly recommend them.....they remind me of the michelin pilots that I bought it with, only better.

Back