• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To add Used CTSC Whipple or not??? Your Advice!!!

My post is to ask your experienced opinion on my thoughts to add a used CTSC Whipple on my 91 nsx. The story is as such:
My engine is down at Science of Speed awaiting an engine refresh with new pistons.
My Acura dealer messed up my engine and Chris is helping me out.
Chris has just taken a low mileage CTSC off of a customers car.
I have not seen photos of the unit nor have I talked to the original owner.
I respect Chris's opinion of the unit. This unit is said to be complete for my car and the standard low boost setup as originally supplied.
This is what I have been looking for and nothing more.
I just want 60-80 more hp at the rear wheels.
I have headers and exhaust.
I do drive my car everyday for mostly 8 months of the year.
I garage it in heavy snowfalls or bad road conditions in winter.
The temperature here gets very cold. I will drive my car down to 20 deg F. if the roads are good. Of course I drive slow and carefully. Our summers are short and rarely above 70 deg F for long periods, our springs and falls are chilly by comparison to where most of you are.
I have a stock clutch but would consider Chris's stronger stock design.
I do want a reliable happy car like it was when I bought it 4 years ago.
If I go with the CTSC, Chris suggests that he orders the pistons just slightly lower on Compression that stock, Im thinking like a few points only since he suggests that if I took of the CTSC, i would not notice a loss of performance over stock. And I will! - Have decided to go 9.8 to 1.
He suggests that we also Xylan coat the pistons. And I will! - Have decided.
He would bolt the main unit onto my engine and that would save me some time up here and some freight.
This all sounds good to me but am I getting myself into something that is going to cause me grief for a little performance. I feel my car is strong with the headers and exhaust, but would like that little bit more.
I don't want to worry about tuning this setup, just bolt it on and drive.
I heard in winter I would have to let the engine warm up before driving harder, but I have to do that anyways with the new Forged Pistons.
I'm looking at 6,500.00 for the unit and maybe 1500.00 for a better clutch.
Maybe a little more for Acura when they put the car back together.
Are there other costs I'm missing? Do I need Gauges and all kind of other stuff?
We'll now I have writers block so I'll end it there and wait to hear from you.
Thanks for any advice or experiences.
Trev
P.S. Does anyone have a scan of the install instructions for the Whipple Comptech unit they can send me, or is it posted somewhere I can't find. - This was done by hal (queenlives),Thanks!
P.S. If anyone posts a picture of the crackpipe, I kill myself, lol. - This was done by MiamieNeSeX

Last edited:
And so it begins..............

2001737394640136358_rs.jpg

Armando

trevor,

shad installed my used ctsc on my stock '91 and according to his dyno tests, the car picked up another 75 horses. it's good to have the extra power. my stock clutch handles the oomph very well, though i always push it hard while rolling and never launch hard. no other valid feedback to offer on your remaining topics.

If no one can scan a copy of the install manual for you, I will dig back through my files, I believe I may still have a copy of the manual, that I could fax you (or being computor challenged, see if I could get my son to scan and send copy to you. If you like, PM me your e-mail address or fax #. Incidentially, after the first pull on the Pipe, you won't mind a thing!!:biggrin: Sound like a good deal and you are in the perfect position to lay the foundation for the next hit on the pipe!! (forged lower compression pistons) Next comes the AEM, Then the IC etc, etc. etc. Enjoy life - you are not going to get out alive anyway!!!!

My post is to ask your experienced opinion on my thoughts to add a used CTSC Whipple on my 91 nsx. The story is as such:
My engine is down at Science of Speed awaiting an engine refresh with new pistons.
Chris has just taken a low mileage CTSC off of a customers car.
I have not seen photos of the unit nor have I talked to the original owner.
I respect Chris's opinion of the unit. This unit is said to be complete for my car and the standard low boost setup as originally supplied.
This is what I have been looking for and nothing more.
I just want 60-80 more hp at the rear wheels.
I have headers and exhaust.
I do drive my car everyday for mostly 8 months of the year.
I garage it in heavy snowfalls or bad road conditions in winter.
The temperature here gets very cold. I will drive my car down to 20 deg F. if the roads are good. Of course I drive slow and carefully. Our summers are short and rarely above 70 deg F for long periods, our springs and falls are chilly by comparison to where most of you are.
I have a stock clutch but would consider Chris's stronger stock design.
I do want a reliable happy car like it was when I bought it 4 years ago.
If I go with the CTSC, Chris suggests that he orders the pistons just slightly lower on Compression that stock, Im thinking like a few points only since he suggests that if I took of the CTSC, i would not notice a loss of performance over stock.
He suggests that we also Teflon coat the pistons.
He would bolt the main unit onto my engine and that would save me some time up here and some freight.
This all sounds good to me but am I getting myself into something that is going to cause me grief for a little performance. I feel my car is strong with the headers and exhaust, but would like that little bit more.
I don't want to worry about tuning this setup, just bolt it on and drive.
I heard in winter I would have to let the engine warm up before driving harder, but I have to do that anyways with the new Forged Pistons.
I'm looking at 6,500.00 for the unit and maybe 1500.00 for a better clutch.
Maybe a little more for Acura when they put the car back together.
Are there other costs I'm missing? Do I need Gauges and all kind of other stuff?
We'll now I have writers block so I'll end it there and wait to hear from you.
Thanks for any advice or experiences.
Trev
P.S. Does anyone have a scan of the install instructions for the Whipple Comptech unit they can send me, or is it posted somewhere I can't find.
P.S. If anyone posts a picture of the crackpipe, I kill myself, lol.

If your engine is in good condition - makes good power, compression/leakdown test is good, coolant pressure test is good (to check for any headgasket leaks) - I don't think you need new pistons.
Just wait 50K miles or so and do an engine refresh then but many people have gone many thousands of miles without having problems, if they don't abuse or drive the car like mad on the track...

I think this is sspecially true for the low boost setup and even on the high boost I wouldn't worry too much. I am actually only making 7 psi becaues the system is fairly free flowing so I don't consider it really high boost.

A comparable, maybe better investment is AEM and good tunning imho.

Yes winter you have to be more careful. However, I have recommended and continue to recommend to get a barrel of 104 Octane from your local sunoco provider (look it up online, almost in ever state) for 6 - $8/gallon and mix it with 91/92 to raise your octane, and significantly reduce the chances of detonation.

Lastly, if you can - I'd get the Autorotor instead - though that might warrant some engine preventitive maintenance since it does generate more boost. The torque lines however is constant further than the Whipple; I think it's fairly constant till about 6500 RPM, while the Whipple starts to lose efficiency fast after 4500 RPM - torque line goes down linearly fast. Good tuning still creates good power because of torque * rpm = horespower, but it is even more noticable with the Autorotor. I raced a 91 NSX with the Autorotor and otherwise fairly stock making about 340 RWHP (compared to 375 RWHP on mine) from about 30 - 120 and we were fairly even, despite mine being a 3.2 with the Whipple High Boost. After about 120 or so... it was game over for the Autorotor though ;) I believe this is because the Autorotor produces more flat torque longer but the tuning producing more power and gearing helped. Still stock Autorotor does well.

Good luck. You wont' regret it. One of, if not the best, mods you can do to the car... and oh yeah, get prepared to get addicted to the NSX crackpipe.. I know I am :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so far and tips.
My email is [email protected]
Fax is 1-780-465-0686
I am getting new pistons, thats not an option, thats why my engine is back down at SOS with the boys.
They are looking after me after Acura messed up my Engine.
I'm glad I have Chris to the rescue.
Keep it coming.
Trev

Last edited:
just emailed you the pdf install guide.

my ctsc was originally on my '00, here's what i needed to add to that kit to install on my '91? to this, shad added an aem-thingie and an upgraded hose:

You will need the following parts:
# 352-038 Idle Valve Mounting Block $135.35
# 800-2008 (3) 6x45mm bolts w/washers $0.90
# 800-3010 (2) 8x40mm bolts w/washers $0.70
# 802-6022 (6) 10-32 x 1/4" button head allen $1.50
# 805-006 O-ring #017 $0.13
# 805-005 O-ring #019 $0.13
# 351-030 3.0L pulley kit $89.00

Everything comes to $227.71 for the parts listed. Thanks.

hope this helps.
hal

Thanks so much, I'm getting excited.
Chris knows my car is a 91 so he would have told me if the kit came off of something newer. But its nice that you posted that info for me and others.
Thanks for the PDF as well.
Trev

Just do it is fine, but I have concerns with the cold weather and cold air intake temperatures. Once I am confident that I shouldn't have problems, then, I can just do it. Also wanted advice on the stock clutch and gauges.
Thanks
Trev

Just do it is fine, but I have concerns with the cold weather and cold air intake temperatures. Once I am confident that I shouldn't have problems, then, I can just do it. Also wanted advice on the stock clutch and gauges.
Thanks
Trev

I wouldn't imagine the cold weather making much of a difference. My car was tuned on a 120 degree afternoon and it gets down to the 40s now :eek: at night. No issues. Now would be the time to have your car tuned since it would be less of a temp change.

Stock clutch will do fine for a while. Mine was nearing the end of it's life when I put the SC on, so I went with the SoS clutch, which does the trick.

Stock gauges are fine for a standard boost setup.

If you get this done the only question you will be asking is why you didn't do it sooner!

Personally, the cold weather temp would scare me. I hear plenty of stories of pinging in chilly weather and have experienced it myself. Only really near the freezing mark but enough to not drive it in that weather.

Ive never had any reliability issues, no tuning done, laid down 347 whp with the complete Comptech package and its been all good ever since. I have the stock clutch and its been perfect, not a drop of slipping. I have the install for the whipple at home if you need it and could not have been happier with my purchase. 2 and half years and 15k, including driving to NSXPO 07 and back and Im still in love.

And have roasted numerous sports cars on many a high speed jaunts:biggrin:

I have the CTSC on my 93 and am running low boost. While it is fun I know that if I was at the stage that you are currently at (rebuild time) I would go low compression pistons and then Lovefab turbo. So much more performance that would be hard to beat. If you weren't looking at an engine rebuild then CTSC is a good way to go in my opinion.

Hey Trev,

Are there any good tuners in Edmonton? I am also thinking about getting a CTSC or LoveFab. When or if you decide to go through it I would love to check your car. Good Luck. Looks like you're doing all the right research.

With the Standard low boost CTSC, I expect no tuning necessary.
Just a good ole dyno with air/fuel graph.
But then, if something on the graph looks bad, then we have to start hunting.
Trev

With the Standard low boost CTSC, I expect no tuning necessary.
Just a good ole dyno with air/fuel graph.
But then, if something on the graph looks bad, then we have to start hunting.
Trev

That being said I never got my car tuned either. I guess I considered that tuning.

Please tell me what you can tune with the standard low boost setup???
Where are the adjustment screws???
lol, but I am serious, what adjustment?
Trev

Please tell me what you can tune with the standard low boost setup???
Where are the adjustment screws???
lol, but I am serious, what adjustment?
Trev

I just figured getting on a dyno to measure air/fuel hp/tq was considered tuning even if everything looked good and you did nothing.

So I got some spam on the fax at work last nite!!!
Looks like I have to go with the CTSC if I read it right!
Thanks for the support.
Wonder who sent this to me???
Anyone?
Anytime>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>John???????????????????
lol
Trev

Attachments

• 20071130085222405_resize.jpg
    20071130085222405_resize.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 31
I have the CTSC on my 93 and am running low boost. While it is fun I know that if I was at the stage that you are currently at (rebuild time) I would go low compression pistons and then Lovefab turbo. So much more performance that would be hard to beat. If you weren't looking at an engine rebuild then CTSC is a good way to go in my opinion.

Maybe you 2 could work out a trade of sorts if you are close? One gets 3.0L with CTSC and the other has the perfect platform to build on.

In any event, if I drove my car for 8+ months of the year I don't think I would bite. The people I know who get the CTSC love it but secretly long for more. You get used to it all too fast unfortunately and you keep spending money and time (and add risk) taking it up to the next level. It is one thing if you don't really need the car all that much but it sounds like you do and the wear and tear would beat you up.

From a recovering crack pipe addict!

;)

Good luck in whatever you do. I honestly don't know what I would do as you are in a perfect scenario.

Ah forget all that other crap I said - go for it!

:)

Back