• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

To buy extended warranty or not to buy.. that is the question.

Would you or did you buy the extended warranty?

• Nope. I'd let it run out. After all, it's a Honda.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Yep. I'd buy it for the piece of mind.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I didn't buy it, but wish I would have now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I bought it and it saved me big $$$.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I bought it and never really used it. I should have put the money in the bank.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm getting close to the decision of letting my car run out of warranty, or buying the 7 year 50,000 extended warranty for around $2500. For the people who had the choice to make, what would you do.

Mike, have you modified your NSX? A lot of warranties don't cover modified cars or exclude a lot of things based upon the mods.

If so, I think you should stay away from extended warranties for sure.

If your car is stock, I still think you'd be better off not buying an extended warranty unless you feel you have a lemon, or your driving habits would cause undue wear and tear on the car.

I think the money saved could be used for future repairs.

NsXMas said:
Mike, have you modified your NSX? A lot of warranties don't cover modified cars or exclude a lot of things based upon the mods.

If so, I think you should stay away from extended warranties for sure.

If your car is stock, I still think you'd be better off not buying an extended warranty unless you feel you have a lemon, or your driving habits would cause undue wear and tear on the car.

I think the money saved could be used for future repairs.

Not modified. It is stock and likely to stay that way. Except light mods such as Tubi, HID, MP3 player and "tweeters"

Hard to say honestly. I never had a problem with my 93 and never worried about it. That being said, if something goes wrong, it does not take long to get the $2500 bucks in repairs.

If you have the money to spend, I would almost lean towards getting the warranty.

BUY IT!!!!
I had purchased my car used. One day, there was a coolant leak, i took it in to dealership since i extended the warranty just a month prior. They fixed it & noticed the compression was low & then took a closer look & noticed that the head bolts were coming loose for some reason. :eek: After the dealership took pictures and sent them to HONDA Japan for inspection. Honda Japan said, give him a new block! :eek: I ended up geting a whole new block!! :eek: They said that out of all the NSX's they've had, i was the 3rd one to have that problem! So since they were taking it apart, they also told me that my flywheel had burnt spots and clutch was almost worn out, so i had them squeeze in a comptech stage 2 clutch & flywheel & my exhaust free of charge! :biggrin: The block alone was $10k, labor for the change alone was $2500! So in my opion it was worth the extra $$$! U might not have the bad/good luck! but u never know!! :wink:

I bought an extended warranty and it saved me a ton of money. The two window motors alone paid for the entire warranty not to mention the climate control issues I had which were thousands of dollars to fix...all covered.

So if you are still under factory warranty are you able to buy an extended warranty through Acura or do you have to purchase it through a third party?

Thanks.

odenspike said:
So if you are still under factory warranty are you able to buy an extended warranty through Acura or do you have to purchase it through a third party?

Thanks.

I did it through Acura. They just added it to the price of the new car.

If it is a genuine bumper to bumper Acura warranty: then sure.

Get it in writing what it covers in plain English - split visors or weather stripping? window regulators? ALB? CV boots?

My wife's M3 has a 3rd party Bumper to Bumper warranty, purchased through the BMW dealer. I'm not sure what Bumper to Bumper means: but it doesn't cover anything other than catastrophic failure. I've got problems with the traction control light, brake control light and ECU problems: none of it covered. NOTHING. (no there is no apparent reason for any of this...)

Third party warranties are bad all around. They won't pay the dealership unless they approve it first, generally after disassembly. The dealership won't diagnose or disassemble without getting a promise. The victim, I mean owner, has little recourse when (not IF, mind you) they deny coverage and finding some bogus technicality.

Drew

Back