• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To Fix or Not to Fix

I purchased an NSX 2004 T in an auction. It had minor front damage and simply needed right frame pulling and a new nose. The engine was perfect. I figured I can have the frame repaired, buy new front parts/headlights and drive. Just one problem, no one in South Texas wants to touch the car. Nobody seems to know how to weld/pull aluminum frames. They treat the car as if it were radioactive. I see two options, find someone who can do structural work on the car or sell to someone who may need it for parts. I prefer option one but I am open to sugestions. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Thanks.
Roberto

The problem is with the aluminum chassis it will never be right after its bent. To repair it properly you need to weld in a whole new section to replace the damaged portion.

The problem is with the aluminum chassis it will never be right after its bent. To repair it properly you need to weld in a whole new section to replace the damaged portion.

I think the real issue is if it is even worth doing? No one wants to touch it because its going to cost ALLOT to do it the right way and someone with that experience would also probably know that it simply isnt worth the money to do it.

I dont care about how many miles are on the car or how good a deal you got on it. It is now and never will be again a clean titled NSX so its only value is what somebody is willing to shell out for the look of the repaired car.

Personally, having been through this on another vehicle, i would NEVER consider doing it again. Money down the toilet on a car that never was right no mater how much money i threw away at it.

Maybe others have had better luck but it sounds like the people who have seen the car are trying to tell you something that you don't want to hear.

It had minor front damage and simply needed right frame pulling and a new nose.
How do you know this? Are you an auto body professional, or did you have it inspected by an auto body professional? Or is this something that the seller claimed, and you actually believed him? (And if the seller told you this, didn't you wonder why the seller didn't have the work done himself before selling it?)

I'm a little confused about your dilemma. It seems to me that it shouldn't matter whether you sell the car or repair the car since the price you paid for the car should have reflected the cost to repair the damage.

If you now feel repairing it would be too much hassle then by all means, sell it.

You should be able to sell the car for what you paid for it or spend the money you saved on the purchase price based on the damage and fix it. I'm interested to know how the price you paid for the car was arrived at based on the level of damage you understood to be present.

It's either that or Ken is on to something and you overpaid, taking the seller's word as to the extent of the damage. If that's the case and you would have to sell the car for a loss it's just a matter of deciding whether to spend x dollars and hassle to have it fixed or lose x dollars from the sale but are done with it.

If it's not the case, just sell it for what you paid and buy another NSX that doesn't need frame work. You shouldn't be out one dime.

Dirk over in Germany had some front end frame parts awhile ago. Maybe if he still has them you could get them sent over and have new frame rails to replace the bent ones like vtecNSX1 said.
Check at NSXCB for his contact through there.

Cheers
nigel

I purchased an NSX 2004 T in an auction. It had minor front damage and simply needed right frame pulling and a new nose. The engine was perfect. I figured I can have the frame repaired, buy new front parts/headlights and drive. Just one problem, no one in South Texas wants to touch the car. Nobody seems to know how to weld/pull aluminum frames. They treat the car as if it were radioactive. I see two options, find someone who can do structural work on the car or sell to someone who may need it for parts. I prefer option one but I am open to sugestions. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Thanks.
Roberto

The guy has two posts.....this may be another example of someone trying to "flip" a car and getting burned in the process because they had no knowledge of the subject matter-here an NSX.

Back