• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To Friends of Al Terpak (handle ATERPAK)

Al is in Mercy General (Sacramento) on life support after a 2 heart attacks over the last couple of days. He had a major attack in the ER last nite and open heart surgery at 2 this morning at Mercy General.

Last weekend, he was with me at Infineon for a race weekend, wrenching on my Formula Mazda. We had a normal test day on Friday and he was changing brake pads on Saturday morning when he said he didn't feel well and had to go home. He went to the ER that afternoon and has been in the hospital or ER or at his doctor's at least 4 times since then but they kept sending him home finding nothing.

His wife, Cher says he's critical but stable, but "it's not looking good." Hopefully that's because she is very tired and stressed and probably feeling pessimistic right now.

He's not conscious but I will be there later today. Mercy General (40th & J)

For those who don't recall, Al was the first President of the Sacramento Chapter back in '99. He was instrumental in getting us into autocrossing then track days with Northern CA Racing Club and the 2003 NSXPO at Sears Point. We jokingly called him Fearless Leader and he was a source of all the mechanical trivia you never thought you needed to know. His friendly jousting and competition with Hrant was legendary. Watching them argue at the track was like the NSX version of the movie Grumpy Old Men.

Ted- I still remember those good 'ol track days, and Al Terpak is indeed legendary. My prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery.

Larry

Holy crap!
Al is one of the good ones!
Please give him my regards and I'll hold a good thought for a positive outcome.
Makes me think about how vulnerable each of us is.
Fingers crossed.

Will include him and his family in my prayers. Please update as things transpire.

Thanks for the post, Ted.

thanks guys, Cher is very appreciative of the thoughts and prayers.

She reports that he is making some improvement. Still critical and still under with a respirator, but heart is beating without the "balloon pump" help he had earlier.

I'm going to keep Al in my thoughts and prayers. He is a good man.

I take solace he is at Mercy General.
My brother in law was there for his third open heart surgery last October. (replacing portion of the aorta and replacing two heart valves) I was very impressed with Mercy's Cardiac unit; they are the best around for cardiac issues.. My brother in laws surgery was quite complex and he pulled through with flying colors. I give the credit to the folks at Mercy General, they were the best.

Lets pray for Al's outcome to be as good!

Al is a great guy and I loved the Hrant/Al show.....prayers for his recovery.

Al is making small but positive improvements. He has awakened a couple of time in pain so they have kept him sedated. His color is improving and they hope to take him off the respirator tomorrow morning.

Some history: He was in Mercy General almost exactly 10 years ago for an open heart quadruple bypass. As you may know, Al is a rules guy and predictably, has been doing everything he can for his heart and health in general. So this has been an outrageously unfair development.

I do not know any of you yet, but my prairs go with him, his family, and his friends...

Ted,

Thanks for the call today, Jon and I were able to visit this afternoon. Al started coming out of heavy sedation as the nurse checked in on him. He barely opened his eyes for a few instances as the nurse inquired about his pain, he was able to answer with a couple of nods. Al was then given more medication, his color was normal. We felt more hopeful after our visit. Jon and I were able to talk to his wife Cher, she seems to be doing well considering the situation.

I hope Al heard me when I challenged him to another track day at Thunderhill, that's Al's real passion!

Wishing Al well, and a speedy recovery.
Mike

Guys...
Thanks for keeping us posted on Al's progress. I really appreciate it and I'm sure there are many others.

"I challenged him to another track day at Thunderhill, that's Al's real passion! "

Good one Mike. That helps to keep him in the here and now and fighting.

going down to visit this afternoon. Hopefully he'll be awake. I'll be telling him to get it together to watch Sebring this weekend.

So sorry to hear about this. I hope our Fearless Leader pulls through.

What a shock. Al always looked like the picture of perfect health. If only our bodies were as reliable and durable as the NSX.

To one of my favorite NSXers, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

No ventilator, just a drug cocktail that's probably $1000/oz.

He's 1/2 awake & mumbling. Something about the size of the rivets the doctor used not being big enough.

They'll get him into a chair shortly. I will commence to give him shit then. Like "is this all under warranty Al? Since you were here for this crap not quite 10 yrs. ago."

The good news is that his AF ratio & EGT temps are real good.

Al is making remarkable progress. Just had a coherent conversation with him on the phone. He is off almost all the heavy duty meds, had a good nite's rest and breakfast, so everything is moving in the right direction.

Cher said that the doctors are quite surprised at his progress since they did not give him much hope of surviving when he got there Wednesday nite.

He'll be out of ICU soon, hopefully tonite.

Edit: Saw him just a bit ago. He looks great in general and amazing for what he just came thru. He appreciates the support here.

Last edited:
nice:smile: no quit in him...

Awesome! What an incredible turnaround. Good for him and his family.

Thanks for the updates, Ted. Will continue to pray.

Back